• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tetopeto

Oct 30, 2017
SP / Brazil
So I had never heard of this game before. I saw it being played by Kyle Bosman from Easy Allies on a stream archive and quickly decided to buy it.
Im playing it now and I'm in shock for how great this game is.

The writing, the music, the graphics, the vibes are incredible. It resonated so much with me, and as it seems like it was a game that didn't have that much attention when it was released earlier this year, I decided to make this thread to let more people know about this awesome game.

It is really cheap and It is on sale right now on Steam HERE GRAB IT!

EDIT: As some users pointed out, the developers get more money if you get the game on Itch.io
And the game is also on the Humble Monthly Trove subscription.

Last edited:

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
It's also in the Humble Throve. So if you are a Humble Monthly/Choice sub you can get it for free.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hay, I have that Humble Trove thing and I love short games. I'll play this at some point!

May 5, 2018
I played this late in the year and it's cracking my personal top 5! It's just such a nice, relaxing game that oozes positive vibes. It's fanastic.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I saw a few people had it on the lists on Giant bomb so decided to grab it. I'd not even heard of it before yesterday.

Bastion

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this game a couple days ago and absolutely adored my two hours with it. So good!

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
If you get it from itch.io, the devs get more money, and it even comes with a steam code!

Honestly a perfect holiday game. One of the best games I have played this year.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
It's on my list to play before I go back to work. Had it as part of the humble trove thing for a while but never got around to it.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the devs can get it on to as many platforms as possible. Saw Kyle playing it and would be an insta buy if it was on Switch

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Fishing is in this game and is super fun. Think Animal Crossing mixed with Red Dead Redemption 2.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Damn! I bought it a few days ago for full price...

No biggie I guess it's only a few bucks and they developer deserves it. Still haven't fired it up but once I saw the art style and read about the gameplay I had to have it.

Edit:
If you get it from itch.io, the devs get more money, and it even comes with a steam code!

Honestly a perfect holiday game. One of the best games I have played this year.

Perfect! I'm going to refund my steam purchase and buy it from there. Thanks for the heads up!

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
this looks cool, I will check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, played this for the first time myself last month. Extremely charming little game. Would definitely recommend.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played the Humble original version earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. I might try playing through the updated version during the holiday break.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Thank you so much for this thread. Just finished it after 2 hour session doing lots of stuff and exploring and getting to the credits.

I was worried from the game's description that'd it'd be a walking sim indie zzz kinda gameplay-lite thing, but the gameplay in this is really great. It has absolutely fantastic progression with the golden feathers, the non-linearity is great, delightful dialogue and tons of fun things to explore and find. When I made it to the top I was so happy. GOOD FEELS game.

Playing through this was a memorable way to spend Xmas Eve and this is definitely making my top10 games list this year. Can't recommend this enough, people play this!

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Assuming that you were a Humble Monthly subscriber at the time, you should find that you've got a Steam key for the game waiting for you.

Humble bundle is actually out of steam keys (seems like a good sign). I played it through there and they had a message that they're out and will restock as soon as they can on steam keys.

Going to buy a few copies to gift tomorrow since played it for free on humble and want to support the dev.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
the hike is short. 2 - 4 hrs
I played the game at launch, felt like I spent a good amount of time doing extra content rather than rushing to the end, and it took me about 90 minutes. I did not try to get all of the achievements though.
I was not unhappy with its length—it's still one of my top games of the year.
I was surprised that some people are saying it's 2–4 hours long though. When I am enjoying a game, I usually spend longer than average with it, which makes me wonder if there was something I missed. It felt like I explored the entire island and talked to everyone though.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I played the game at launch, felt like I spent a good amount of time doing extra content rather than rushing to the end, and it took me about 90 minutes. I did not try to get all of the achievements though.
I was not unhappy with its length—it's still one of my top games of the year.
I was surprised that some people are saying it's 2–4 hours long though. When I am enjoying a game, I usually spend longer than average with it, which makes me wonder if there was something I missed. It felt like I explored the entire island and talked to everyone though.

If you did everything (all quests, treasure maps, found every coins and plant, etc), plus time spent chilling and fishing...I'm sure you could easily spend 4 hours at your own pace. I did the majority of stuff I think in around 2ish and I usually rush through games at a quick pace.

I thought the length and pacing were perfect. Too many games are too long these days and have slow, repetitive bits. Enjoyed every minute of this from start to finish.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Already have this game on steam. I feel like i could enjoy the game more on my Switch, though. My switch is my nostalgia machine. My PC is my eye candy machine.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If you did everything (all quests, treasure maps, found every coins and plant, etc), plus time spent chilling and fishing...I'm sure you could easily spend 4 hours at your own pace. I did the majority of stuff I think in around 2ish and I usually rush through games at a quick pace.

I thought the length and pacing were perfect. Too many games are too long these days and have slow, repetitive bits. Enjoyed every minute of this from start to finish.
As I said, I specifically did not treat the game as a checklist and go for all the achievements. I spent time exploring the island and talking with everyone that I met, doing what felt like a lot of optional things, but I did not hunt down every item or do everything that I encountered.
It felt like I spent a relaxing time with the game in those 90 minutes, rather than rushing to finish it.
I'm not adverse to short games, and it felt like a great length to me, with a satisfying conclusion. I was just surprised to see people saying it took them ~4 hours.

Already have this game on steam. I feel like i could enjoy the game more on my Switch, though. My switch is my nostalgia machine. My PC is my eye candy machine.
I'd like to see the game on Switch too, but this is weird to me. If anything, Steam (or Itch) is the platform where I see all these experimental types of game first, long before they end up on consoles - if they ever do.
Given the current state of PC gaming, I find myself losing interest in AAA and similar "high fidelity" experiences altogether. It's the only platform where I'd like to play that type of game, but I feel like it's being neglected by developers, and increasingly feels like you don't matter if you don't have the highest-end hardware currently available.
That's a discussion for another topic though.

OP
OP
tetopeto

tetopeto

Oct 30, 2017
SP / Brazil
Thank you so much for this thread. Just finished it after 2 hour session doing lots of stuff and exploring and getting to the credits.

I was worried from the game's description that'd it'd be a walking sim indie zzz kinda gameplay-lite thing, but the gameplay in this is really great. It has absolutely fantastic progression with the golden feathers, the non-linearity is great, delightful dialogue and tons of fun things to explore and find. When I made it to the top I was so happy. GOOD FEELS game.

Playing through this was a memorable way to spend Xmas Eve and this is definitely making my top10 games list this year. Can't recommend this enough, people play this!
I'm glad you enjoyed it as well!
Even before I finished the game I felt I had to let more people know about this game, so I decided to make my first thread.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it after reading eurogamers esssential review and loved it. The more threads dedicated to it the better

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I'd never heard of this game but really enjoyed poking around with it last night. It's a nicely paced, bowling-round-doing-shit game, with pretty fantastic art, and above average writing. Already recommended to a friend.

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for recommending it, feel guilty for spending €1,00 to buy it :)

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat it, it's a wonderful little game, it is perfectly described as "Animal Crossing meets BOTW". Boy now I want a 40 hours long game like this but with more AC gameplay.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Decided to play this after finishing a game I really didn't care for and loved A Short Hike.

It's a great mix of Animal Crossing and BOTW but is super lax and chaming. More than once did I catch myself with a huge grin on my face from character interaction. It's just a really wholesome game with wonderful art direction and an enjoyable soundtrack.

If you have a PC, check this one out. It's around 2-3 hours depending on how much side content you do. I did everything I could find except for finishing the fishing, which I may finish too.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to play this after finishing a game I really didn't care for and loved A Short Hike.

It's a great mix of Animal Crossing and BOTW but is super lax and chaming. More than once did I catch myself with a huge grin on my face from character interaction. It's just a really wholesome game with wonderful art direction and an enjoyable soundtrack.

If you have a PC, check this one out. It's around 2-3 hours depending on how much side content you do. I did everything I could find except for finishing the fishing, which I may finish too.
Agree with this a lot. It was on the top of my backlog but when I heard folks on the Waypoint podcast talk about it I knew it had to be my immediate next thing to play. I sat down to play it tonight and finished it in about 2 hours. It's a great game.

I need to go buy the soundtrack because when it first kicked in I honestly caught myself tearing up and then I broke down crying. I think it just captures the feeling I had playing games as a kid so well, just being so carefree, that I couldn't really hold that back. It's weird to say but I think I've been chasing that feeling for like 15 years (I'm in my 30s now) and I didn't expect to find it in this game but when it hit me, it really hit me.

A really special game that I think I'll replay every few years when I need a break from stressful games!

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this a couple of weeks ago. 🤔 I'll try to get around to playing it soon, as I've only heard good things about it.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I bought this a couple of weeks ago. 🤔 I'll try to get around to playing it soon, as I've only heard good things about it.
Do it! love you avatar btw

Agree with this a lot. It was on the top of my backlog but when I heard folks on the Waypoint podcast talk about it I knew it had to be my immediate next thing to play. I sat down to play it tonight and finished it in about 2 hours. It's a great game.

I need to go buy the soundtrack because when it first kicked in I honestly caught myself tearing up and then I broke down crying. I think it just captures the feeling I had playing games as a kid so well, just being so carefree, that I couldn't really hold that back. It's weird to say but I think I've been chasing that feeling for like 15 years (I'm in my 30s now) and I didn't expect to find it in this game but when it hit me, it really hit me.

A really special game that I think I'll replay every few years when I need a break from stressful games!

Now that you mention it, it did kind of feel like how I played games as a kid. I wasn't doing the things in this game because of progression, or because I felt obligated to. I was... just kind of going everywhere and seeing what I could find. Games have offered me that feeling recently (BOTW for example), but they really are few and far between.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I started it and have about 2 hours in to it, really lovely so far! Really wanted to play more of but I was kinda tired at that moment and my attention flew in to the wind.