• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
And i'm not talking about the already released titles.

Watching the PCgamer show, the Guerilla collective and IGNs summer of games there was a serious lack of titles that have ray tracing.

Wasn't the reveals of the next gen consoles supposed to give us a huge path traced wave of content?

Developers just dont push the graphical envelope for PC anymore, its basically console games with "Ultra" settings :(

Rasterize me if old.....

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for a showcase of new support whenever NVIDIA does their consumer Ampere event.

But agreed, aside from Cyberpunk I'm not sure what I have to look forward to from an RT standpoint this year...

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Give it time.. PS5 event showed plenty of RayTracing, pc games are following for sure.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The technology is fundamentally emergent and currently entry level to only the highest end consumer base. It's not like flipping a switch and it's enabled. Developers would be expected to hand tailor the effects, including optimisation, to integrate with games that are fundamentally and understandably designed without it. It's not just a matter of casual interest, it's time and money

The technology will become more commonplace when it hits standardisation, which both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 will help establish.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Good to see all the people who probably didn't know what ray tracing was six months ago now kicking off about a lack of ray tracing.

These things come with time yo.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
When console games standarize RT more PC games will eventually use it too.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Upcoming PC games confirmed to have RTX

- Dying Light 2
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Watch Dogs Legion
- Atomic Heart
- Vampire The Masquerade
- Bright Memory
- Convallaria
- F.I.S.T
- Synced: Off Planet
- Ghostrunner

OP
OP
Stacey

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Good to see all the people who probably didn't know what ray tracing was six months ago now kicking off about a lack of ray tracing.

These things come with time yo.

Hope that wasnt directed at me? I got burned as an early adopter with the 2070, only to purchase a 2080 super when Nvidia decided to pull my pants down.

I do get that waiting on consoles is the new normal but damn, i got tensor cores literally doing nothing for months now :(

Oct 27, 2017
Neither the PC Gamer Show or Guerilla Collective seem like particularly strong places to expect technical stuff like this.

To be honest I don't think we've seen a ton of stuff yet that's really pushing visuals so far across the board. Obviously there are examples, but fewer than many probably expected this far into the next gen reveal cycle.

For PC gamers specifically I think it will really feel like business as usual for a while. I have a 1660ti that I expected to be really itching to replace this year, and honestly I think I'll be OK through 2021 based on what we've seen so far.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
There's plenty now and more to come.

I used to buy any game with RT support, now there's too many to make that feasible.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
That's why I'm not hyped for upcoming graphics card from Nvidia. I will be convinced once AAA game's have them as standard till then it's here and there thing.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Games are too expensive these days to target features to only a tiny userbase. Expect more RT when the new consoles are in more homes and more RT video cards are in more computers. It will be a slow burn.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Upcoming PC games confirmed to have RTX

- Dying Light 2
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Watch Dogs Legion
- Atomic Heart
- Vampire The Masquerade
- Bright Memory
- Convallaria
- F.I.S.T
- Synced: Off Planet
- Ghostrunner

Thanks for the list.
Don't forget the PC games that were announced during PS5 event too.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
RT will come as they implement it on PS5, XBX games.

As Bonfires Down said, the lack of DLSS 2.0 is what has me confused. A feature "easy" to implement that gives "free performance".

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Be patient. It's the hottest buzzword on the block this generation so as more titles release on consoles featuring RT, more titles will show up on PC.

kmg90

Feb 20, 2018
The main issue is that only 1 series of cards from 1 vendor is provides the capabilities for ray tracing.

At the moment its a vendor-specific solution; case in point earlier in this thread someone listed games that are RTX enabled... RTX is Nvidia.

Once AMD and (arguably most importantly) the next gen consoles are out with ray tracing capabilities, you will start to see an increase in use of the technology.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It will get more common as consoles support it more. Same with proper usage for an SSD when those get commonplace that way.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I expect this to escalate a lot when console games start implementing it. Mind you, I would have expected that with HDR on PC and in some ways that still inferior to consoles :(

Nov 2, 2017
"Super" cards a few months after the initial 20 series release.
This happens every generation though, either in the form of a refresh or a price cut. You mention buying a 2080S which is like a 5% increase over the normal 2080 at the same price. Is that really getting burned? I've seen much larger price cuts on x80 cards, where they dropped the price $100.

It all depends on what the competition offers. It's perfectly possible that Nvidia will launch their Ampere cards at a certain pricepoint, AMD will undercut them and Nvidia will in turn drop their own prices. That's just competition.

You mention the Pro or X but I'm pretty sure they got a drop in price in less than a year on the market in some sale.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget the PC games that were announced during PS5 event too.
Wonder how that's gonna work. Since the consoles use AMD cards, they clearly aren't integrating RTX. So in order to take advantage of RTX cards, would they have to implement a different RT method for PC? Or just stick to whatever works for AMD cards?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Wonder how that's gonna work. Since the consoles use AMD cards, they clearly aren't integrating RTX. So in order to take advantage of RTX cards, would they have to implement a different RT method for PC? Or just stick to whatever works for AMD cards?

RTX is just branding, not an API/extension. DXR, VK_KHR_ray_tracing, and even Nvidia's own precursor to the latter, VKRay, are all vendor-agnostic.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
To be fair. Many of those announced/shown games weren't AAA and made by rather small studios I would think. Ray Tracing would be at the bottom of their priority list I guess.

At this point though I expect Ray Tracing to become more and more adopted by bigger studios. Especially with the new Nvidia cards expected to having better RTX performance and more people owning hardware that can actually make it work decently.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Creating two types of lightning is expensive for many smaller developers and not worth when RT is avaiable only for small portion of your customers. There are better way yo spend money and time right now.

OP
OP
Stacey

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Creating two types of lightning is expensive for many smaller developers and not worth when RT is avaiable only for small portion of your customers. There are better way yo spend money and time right now.

That's understandable, however, they would get an extra sale from those like myself that will buy anything with ray tracing implemented and perhaps free marketing from vendors like digital foundry.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

There is nothign holding them. If they use RT agnostic method or hybrid RT, this gonna work so fine with all GPUs and I am sure they are doing so so it gonna work fine on Nvidia GPUs, even better than dedicated RTX pipelines. COD MW is using RT agnostic method so the RDNA2 GPUS will be fien runnign it too and you knwo Warzone (and maybe MW too) will be updated on next-gen and they will surelya dd the same RT shadows that gonna work so fine on them.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure part of it is the performance hit and the fact a lot of people are still rocking GTX 1060s. Once raytracing cards are more common and the new consoles are out I think you'll see more games advertising raytracing.