• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
arr-big.jpg

ARR, by today's standards in 2020, isn't all that great of a game in itself. It's story is hampered by it's pacing, and the quest structure pads out the story in an annoying way. That being said, this game wouldn't have the fanbase that it does if ARR was the meat and potatoes of the experience. Characters that you meet grow and change over the course of the rest of the game. Your character, in fact, is not merely a 1 to 1 expy of yourself, and has a persona that shows through as the game progresses. And there are no retcons, convenient breaks of character to suit narrative, or general writing...tendencies (save for a couple of points, which you are free to complain about in the OT, because most of us agree) that serve to destroy suspension of disbelief or otherwise contradict your understanding of things unnecessarily. For all it's warts, ARR builds the lore and sets the context for what's to come consistently.

Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers, in contrast to ARR:

-are less reliant on filler quests
-have meatier campaigns
-have more cutscenes and cinematics
-have much better characterization
-have much larger maps
-don't make you run back and forth incessantly
-don't make you specifically return to the waking anything ad nauseum
-are better paced
-have much more convincing and engaging casts
-grow the characters in believable and relatable ways
-have much improved character designs, monster designs, and weapon designs
-have much more atmosphere and mood to their settings and locations
-substantially grow the lore that ARR establishes
-have much improved music

In short, starting with Heavensward, you see the results of a team of developers that literally grew in skill and presentation, and found their footing, alongside the game's characters, story, and the game proper. That doesn't make ARR better, so much as it shows how much they have improved since. I don't fault anyone for not wanting to give the rest of the game a try if ARR is so untenable for them. You have to have found -something- enjoyable about the story, characters, setting, or gameplay for the expansions to grab you. Nor am I saying you should play the game expecting a masterpiece to unfold before your very eyes once Heavensward begins. Forget the massive hype that people like myself give the game about it being the best FF in the past 20 years or other hyperbole. If you find anything at all engaging about where the story and characters lead to in ARR, I implore you to try the rest of the game's expansions.

We can discuss the finer points of the game's design and decisions. But considering how many people enjoy this game, and the story - I'm convinced the story is worth experiencing. And ARR, while not the best part of it by far, does still set the stage and establish the cast, and has a good finale and final act after a meandering first half and a bit. And that first part of the narrative is setting the world and it's situation. This isn't about playing until it gets to the good parts. If you hate the setting, characters, hate the expositions and world building, and play it only because everyone else seems to like it, so you're looking for that special something to pinpoint, you're gonna have a bad time. Heavensward and beyond work so well because ARR sets the stage for them to take advantage of the world, lore, and characters that it builds.

I should also note that you don't have to play most of the side content, or do much of anything besides the core story quests if you just want to experience the narrative. In fact, you could probably finish the whole story from ARR to Shadowbringers in several months at an hour or two a night, or some day-long Sundays. If you're subbed that whole time, that's maybe $120 or so including the base game, Shadowbringers (which includes all prior expansions), and a six-month sub, for 400 hours or more of narrative, not including the side stories and other content.

A lot of people put hundreds, or thousands, of hours into a game of their choice. I know that time is the most precious commodity, but IMO, this game is worth the investment, and worth the time spent on ARR to experience the rest of the game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The finale of ARR is great and yeah, ARR is an investment. There is a ton set up during it that is paid off greatly later.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
100% agreed.

On Tuesday they are trimming some of the steps in some quests, making the return trips to the Waking Sands less painful, and fully removing the need for any kind of grind. ARR sets up so much and it pays off so well and it leads to what I believe is the best FF game period. Hoping we see a lot more people stick with it this go around because when I finally stuck with it, it became one of my favorite games of all time

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
If it's such a grind, and the rest of the story is so good. Then people should just youtube the story lol

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree. ARR is a really okay story, but what comes after is simply incredible.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
If it's such a grind, and the rest of the story is so good. Then people should just youtube the story lol
Funny enough, it was watching a Youtube let's play of the original 1.0 story that got me interested in playing the A Realm Reborn beta in early 2013. Getting invested in the story got me interested in playing the game myself. And it makes a very notable difference in the experience when you're able to explore the world with your character, as opposed to watching someone else.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back into it. It's my third time trying it and I'm pretty sure I'm farther in than I ever have been already. Up to:

Trying to gain the Ala Mhigo Resistance groups trust

Been hearing how good HW and the other expansions are for years. I'm pretty determined to see this stuff. But I am enjoying ARR as table setting.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Honestly, if anything, $120 is an overestimate. ARR + HW are now free. The Complete Edition goes on sale for $30 frequently. That comes with 30 days. Two more months would be $13 each. StB + ShB is more than doable in 3 months (you could do it in less if you whole ass it). That's $56 to play basically 4 whole games. A lot of people talk about the sub cost as why they don't play, but $56 to play through all of that content seems like a pretty good value to me.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Starting Tuesday ARR+HW are flat-out free, and ARR itself is getting tweaked to be less of a slog. FWIW I thought it wasn't nearly as much of a slog as folks made it out to be when I went through FFXIV earlier this year, and the expansions indeed blow it out of the water. Can't wait for 5.3 on Tuesday!

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
I completed ARR years ago when I had a free trial. If I were to start over, how much time would it take to get to the stuff? Don't want to pay a sub if possible

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use to like playing the game but after shadowbringers I couldn't deal with the grinding xp again to see through the story so I quit early. Did play all the others to completion though. Just can't handle the grind to do the lvl locked campaign missions anymore, just cant do it. I hate lvling.

Popcicle

Unbroken Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I still think ARR is the best story among all of it (though I certainly liked the expansions as well) and don't really agree with most of these criticisms. Find them ridiculous—but guess I live in a bizarre reality where tons of people keep repeating them as objective fact. Oh well.

Ultimately, just hope the revamp gets people trying FFXIV more.

Gaius for best FF character 2021!

da4mGAa8_400x400.jpg

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I was bored to no end. The lack of voice acting with mediocre graphic really hurt the game.

By the time I dropped the game halfway through 4.0, the story was still quite boring tbh.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
very well said, op!...

the smartest thing i did this gen was play bloodborne. the second smartest thing i did was (finally!) play final fantasy xiv: a realm reborn...

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I completed ARR years ago when I had a free trial. If I were to start over, how much time would it take to get to the stuff? Don't want to pay a sub if possible
With the reductions to the quest steps and post ARR content before Heavensward, probably 40 to 50 hours.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
On Tuesday they are trimming some of the steps in some quests, making the return trips to the Waking Sands less painful,

I literally quit because of this*, so that's good to hear.

*and also because when I finally unlocked the Ninja class I found it way too complicated and not fun.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I still think ARR is the best story among all of it (though I certainly liked the expansions as well) and don't really agree with most of these criticisms. Find them ridiculous—but guess I live in a bizarre reality where tons of people keep repeating them as objective fact. Oh well.

ARR is my favorite arc because it's the most classic Final Fantasy out of all the expansions. It's just a hero against an evil empire. I like that you actually get to spend time in Eorzea and interact with the leaders of the alliance and the Grand Company leaders. Gridania and Limsa Lominsa basically disappear after A Realm Reborn. Ul'dah is the only city state still relevant to the story.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Pray, return to the Waking Sands...

ARR basically builds up your character's legend, so when you start going further and further in the story in future expansions, it's neat to be acknowledged like that. You do a lot of nonsense in ARR, but it does lead to something.

And I think HW is the most FF of the stories, personally. There just is a point in the main story where you realize that even though your traveling with NPCs, it's actually a FF party as you traverse a world map going from zone to zone. Shadowbringers managed to capture that same feel.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So when are they reducing the filler stuff in ARR and steps right before Heavensward? With a Tuesday patch?

Truth be told, ARR have been one of my most enjoyable experiences this gen but it took me a long ass time grinding to where I am now, at the content leading up to HW.

I've long been wanting to experience the entire story but I'm quite frankly scared of returning. I can't remember the story up to this point, no less my character built and all the functions of the game.

Have been thinking of starting all over, especially if they're making the progression leaner with less filler but then I'm thinking how ridiculous it'll be starting over with so many hours spent on it already.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
So when are they reducing the filler stuff in ARR and steps right before Heavensward? With a Tuesday patch?

Truth be told, ARR have been one of my most enjoyable experiences this gen but it took me a long ass time grinding to where I am now, at the content leading up to HW.

I've long been wanting to experience the entire story but I'm quite frankly scared of returning. I can't remember the story up to this point, no less my character built and all the functions of the game.

Have been thinking of starting all over, especially if they're making the progression leaner with less filler but then I'm thinking how ridiculous it'll be starting over with so many hours spent on it already.

This Tuesday when 5.3 hits. Game is down for 24 hours in like 4 hours, then ARR should be revamped.

And yeah, the like 120 quests it takes to go from ARR to HW is a bit much. Every other expansion is like half that.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

There's a journal you can view in inns within the starting cities that allow you to watch the cutscenes and summarize what happens at each stage of the story. That should catch you up and jog your memories. As for the rest, it will come back to you within a day or two.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Every so often these topics crop up of people talking about how the expansions make ARR worth going through... and while I can appreciate that the expansions are good... ARR is VERY long. Perhaps the patch will fix that but I'm still skeptical.

I've played a lot of MMOs over the years but the only two that I've bounced off so hard are Elder Scrolls and FFXIV. And in both cases I couldn't really put a finger on why I bounced off them. They just don't work for me.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I remember at launch thinking ARR was a fun bombastic story for what it was, an MMO. It wasn't particularly amazing outside of that framepoint but it was still decent fun and the entire ending sequence is pretty good fun especially as a ramp up in MMO mechanics (like a certain final boss' laser dodging). It was hype for the time.

But then people going back and praising it beyond that point and calling it the best FF story ever (which honestly to me isn't saying much) has consistently blind sided me. There would be plenty (and I mean plenty) of moments where characters would be talking and I just wouldn't care what they were saying. Would lead me to just skimming past many dialogue boxes and just pay attention during specific moments and even those would often just be fine but not like "good". Dumb fun but not like quality.

And honestly the same applies largely to Heavensward. Like honestly and genuinely when I read people's takes now on how Heavensward is the highest point in the game and an all time best game story I'm just left dumbfounded at what the hell I played vs what they played.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if anything, $120 is an overestimate. ARR + HW are now free. The Complete Edition goes on sale for $30 frequently. That comes with 30 days. Two more months would be $13 each. StB + ShB is more than doable in 3 months (you could do it in less if you whole ass it). That's $56 to play basically 4 whole games. A lot of people talk about the sub cost as why they don't play, but $56 to play through all of that content seems like a pretty good value to me.

It's pretty funny how cheap it actually is to get into. I've spent much more on games with waaaaay less content lol

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a youtube channel or something that retell what happens in the main story quest of ARR? I have played ARR almost up to the start of heavensward but that was years ago (when heavensward came out) and I don't remember anything from the story.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
All this talk about how great the story is really makes me regret skipping the story. I figured when I played it back then that it would be a typical boring MMO story. Such a regret maybe one day I can play this game all solo.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Sure I guess.

I'm still stuck at post-Stormblood main quests and I bought Shadowbringers, lol. I just got bored with quest design. I feel like OTs like this one can make some people feel like it's a cool alternative for single-player game. It isn't. It's archaic MMO mechanics and structure can hurt a lot.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Question. I have the game plus expansions on steam. I have the game + heavensward tied to an existing account where I never finished a realm reborn. During the summer sale I bought shadowbringers for $15. If i were to start a new account I should be able to link that dlc and have all the expansions on that new account, right? I have yet to link it with my existing account

I ask because I'm pretty sure I'd have to pay the sub fee if I resumed with my old level 40 character so I'm thinking of starting a new account to not have to worry about the sub fee for a while.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I wish I were more interested in stories in games. I can't believe I played through all of ARR and skipped literally every story / dialogue scene where possible lol.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Question. I have the game plus expansions on steam. I have the game + heavensward tied to an existing account where I never finished a realm reborn. During the summer sale I bought shadowbringers for $15. If i were to start a new account I should be able to link that dlc and have all the expansions on that new account, right? I have yet to link it with my existing account

I ask because I'm pretty sure I'd have to pay the sub fee if I resumed with my old level 40 character so I'm thinking of starting a new account to not have to worry about the sub fee for a while.

you just reminded me I should grab shadowbringers for $20 right now while it's on sale to link to my new account later when I'm ready to actually sub

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
you just reminded me I should grab shadowbringers for $20 right now while it's on sale to link to my new account later when I'm ready to actually sub
If you already own the rest of the game you should be able to buy the bundle sku to get it for $15. That's what I did during the summer sale. At least I think it was $15? Maybe it was $17

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I were more interested in stories in games. I can't believe I played through all of ARR and skipped literally every story / dialogue scene where possible lol.

I feel like it was largely an example of just being well told enough in an MMO format that people went "hey this is actually pretty decent!" because they went in with middling MMO expectations. Like it's fine enough, it's just not actually stellar. I also skimmed and skipped several instances of dialogue because I didn't care about the people talking.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

To be clear, you have ARR + HW through Steam already registered, and then you bought Shadowbringers also on Steam, but haven't redeemed Shadowbringers yet?

The answer is no, because you would need another Steam version of the base game, and you can't buy a game twice on Steam. Maybe it'd work if you made a second Steam account and bought the base game on there, but that seems like a big hassle

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, you have ARR + HW through Steam already registered, and then you bought Shadowbringers also on Steam, but haven't redeemed Shadowbringers yet?

The answer is no, because you would need another Steam version of the base game, and you can't buy a game twice on Steam. Maybe it'd work if you made a second Steam account and bought the base game on there, but that seems like a big hassle
Ah so you can't link your steam account with multiple FF14 accounts then? I could technically delete FF14 from my steam library but I don't think that would fix the issue

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I genuinely feel the entire main campaign's story is bad and I feel like I live on a different planet from those that disagree.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Ah so you can't link your steam account with multiple FF14 accounts then? I could technically delete FF14 from my steam library but I don't think that would fix the issue
It's not a matter of account linking. The issue is that Steam and non-Steam keys are seperate, and once you go one route or the other, you are locked in. You have a Steam version key (an XIV key that comes from Steam) for the Shadowbringers expansion. To redeem that, you need a Steam version key of the base game. You've already bought the base game on your Steam account, so I don't know where you'd get another Steam version key of the base game. I think a second Steam account should work, if you want to go down that route. If deleting a game from your library and then buying it again makes it spit out a new key for games with 3rd party key activations, that would work, but I don't know if that's how Steam works.

EDIT: I just realized the "second account" idea may or may not fuck up the Steam Wallet payment method. Dunno how that really works, I use the non-Steam version.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I gave ARR five hours during the beta and five hours in a trial like a year ago

I'll give it one more chance with 5.3 and if it can't keep my attention I'm writing the game off for good, no matter how amazing it apparently gets in the expansions

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
I started AAR last Christmas and after around 15 hours of meager questing and being the errand boy of the Forest Alliance I realized that I was straight up not having fun at all and wasting my time.

I'm convinced that the later expansions are worth their praise but the format isn't for me. I'd rather watch story digests on YouTube, if available.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I attempted to get into FFXIV with the free trial about a year ago and it was such a slog, even though two veteran players were there to help me out a lot. Characters and story didn't grip me either. I had heard so much great things about FFXIV and was baffled to only find what I did.
I don't enjoy MMOs though, I am a solo player through and through, that might be one reason I just couldn't get into it.