• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
In general the eating of wildlife isn't as extremely prevelant in China as many in the West seem to think, the younger generation in particular look down on it. It's pretty much the same as it is here in the West where it's usually just older poor rural folk that engage in it, I'm from Louisiana and you can see the same from the equivalent demographic whom still eat Turtles, Nutria, Squirrel, etc. We seem to gloss over this, but we have a pretty sizable population as well that still engages in eating wildlife

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Oh okay. Except the original point I'm making about inconsistent standards across multiple industries in China is absolutely true, so it's entirely possible that such a contagious disease could have emerged from such a market.

Posting videos about good examples doesn't really stop the bad ones from existing.
Sure, but it should be noted that there isn't a whole lot of difference between the "good" wet markets and the "bad" wet markets. They're all basically the same kind of thing except that some will have a couple of stalls with live animals and the others don't. Those stalls were banned before this but they still existed because the enforcement was lax. That enforcement is guaranteed to be vastly tighter now so mission accomplished.

I've not seen anything definite saying it wasn't the wet market - what has changed? any reputable sources?
Why did we even assume that the first transmission was in a wet market to begin with? The reason is that the first major outbreak occurred in the Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan in December. However, we now know that the first known human to be infected got Covid-19 in November. So if there were people already infected, how could the Huanan outbreak be the cause of the first transmission?