• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

I'm a big fan of this channel's Chinese cooking videos, but this is a pretty interesting look at an average "wet market" in China without the racist hysteria being shown in Western news media.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Good, a level headed video.

(And their recipes are usually great. Highly recommend the twice cooked pork one!)

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Pretty ridiculous how everyone suddenly became an expert and started calling for all wet markets to be banned.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
There's also these two dudes on motorcycles... Cmilk and a South African guy that has years of footage of them in china. They went to teach English. Both married to Chinese women. Both fled to come back here when shit hit the fan and xi clamped down.

Those wet markets are a real problem. Just because of cross contamination. That's basic chef 101 stuff. As far as creating super bugs.. eh.. but it would be a healthy option to change them. But it's not just china it's also surrounding areas that import stuff into china, that's my understanding. It's heavily sewn into culture as well.

But yeah. If I can find the videos they aren't racist. They're just like "here's a dude cutting up roadkill." And exposing how most dog eating is just random dogs. Not tested for rabies or anything.

china has hillbillies too.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
There's also these two dudes on motorcycles... Cmilk and a South African guy that has years of footage of them in china. They went to teach English. Both married to Chinese women. Both fled to come back here when shit hit the fan and xi clamped down.

Those wet markets are a real problem. Just because of cross contamination. That's basic chef 101 stuff. As far as creating super bugs.. eh.. but it would be a healthy option to change them. But it's not just china it's also surrounding areas that import stuff into china, that's my understanding. It's heavily sewn into culture as well.

But yeah. If I can find the videos they aren't racist. They're just like "here's a dude cutting up roadkill." And exposing how most dog eating is just random dogs. Not tested for rabies or anything.

lol, ADVChina aren't flaming hateful racists, but I do find it interesting how many people seem unwilling to admit that they're certainly not progressive and that they thrive off of a certain expat demographic that loves to provoke and look down on others.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Then come up with a different term to describe the ones that are selling bats and shit and shut those down.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Maybe they should just ban the sale of wild animals at these wet markets, even if it's a small minority of markets that engage in it

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
lol, ADVChina aren't flaming hateful racists, but I do find it interesting how many people seem unwilling to admit that they're certainly not progressive and that they thrive off of a certain expat demographic that loves to provoke and look down on others.

Ya advchina. That's the one. They had me wanting to visit china. I'm not traveled enough to see the expat or progressive vibe. It looked like a cool place to explore.

Then all this happened.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017

www.youtube.com

serpentza

For Motorcycle adventures around the world, and a talk-show on two wheels go to ADVChina every Monday 11am PST / 1pm EST https://www.youtube.com/advchina For...

this guy??

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Ya advchina. That's the one. They had me wanting to visit china. I'm not traveled enough to see the expat or progressive vibe. It looked like a cool place to explore.

Then all this happened.

They have some nice information about China; they also have lots of stuff that revels in white hegemonic masculinity and its legacy in Asia, while jeering at Asian men. So yeah, I side-eye people who recommend them.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

Then all this happened.

.. i mean what do you expect to happen?

I've been to china, and I would go again. The only thing stopping me is not the fear of catching any weird virus, but more about the fuckton of people in the cities. Genuinely felt like sardines in a can.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
presuming the good faith of every white dude who moves to asia to teach english and find an asian girlfriend is not the right call lol

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
They have some nice information about China; they also have lots of stuff that revels in white hegemonic masculinity and its legacy in Asia. So yeah, I side-eye people who recommend them.

Ohhhh. Well my bad. I'm just speaking to the footage of the markers butchering all animals on same boards and people picking through stuff with their hands. Or like the dog eating stuff.

I did find their... Focus on Chinese women a bit weird..... If that counts for anything. But they've been pretty on the ball with this corona virus thing. Helped a lot of people with a heads up on wuhan.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I love this channel, they've got some really authentic recipes

It's been frustrating to see the media try to scapegoat wet markets the last few months so this is a welcome video

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Their video titles and thumbnails are still super clickbaity though.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
A wet market refers to live animals being stored alive and processed for the customer at the time of purchase. They aren't necessarily bad since they can be managed very sanitarily , but there are many markets in China and East Asia that are not clean like this.

I won't post them here, but if you saw the video's you would likely be horrified. The video in the OP is just showing how they can work when done with proper sanitary standards but purposely misleading.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, stuff that's kept up to a standard should definitely be allowed. Those other markets with no standards should be shut down.

Racism or not, all eyes are going to be on China to make sure they crack down, and considering the Chinese government loves their image more than anything else, I'm sure they'll comply.

If something like this happens again in 10-20 years because the shady markets were allowed to operate freely, there might be sanctions up the ass.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
I won't post them here, but if you saw the video's you would likely be horrified. The video in the OP is just showing how they can work when done with proper sanitary standards but purposely misleading.
i don't understand how this is more 'purposely misleading' than shock videos showing roasted bats on sticks to stoke up fear over dirty unwashed chinese people

it's also still not even confirmed that virus even ultimately came out of the huanan wet market and a lot of the panic was literally stoked by salacious racist imagery the media constantly deployed over about exotic chinese eating habits

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
A wet market refers to live animals being stored alive and processed for the customer at the time of purchase. They aren't necessarily bad since they can be managed very sanitarily , but there are many markets in China and East Asia that are not clean like this.

I mean he mentioned that sanitary standards differ from market to market. It's not misleading really, and a lot of it depends on the poverty level of the area the markets operate in.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the video OP.

I was getting my info about wet market from the American media so I was obviously incredibly ignorant on the subject.

I can admit that before I saw this video I assumed that there were regular super markets and then "wet markets" where they were selling the bats and crazy animals.

Sadly I have seen this show before. The narrative is already set and most people are never going to learn the truth and most people will just become more set in their ways as they continue to be brainwashed by our shit cable media.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
They have some nice information about China; they also have lots of stuff that revels in white hegemonic masculinity and its legacy in Asia, while jeering at Asian men. So yeah, I side-eye people who recommend them.
I was typing out my own opinion of them but you worded it better than I could. I enjoy some of cmilk/laowhy's vids about China because he tends to go deeper than most people I can find and seems to have a lot of appreciation for the culture in general. As Commedieu said, he was very open about issues with coronavirus and even the Hong Kong protests. But outside of that, I wouldn't recommend going to him for opinions.

I make no effort to watch SerpentZA. Every time he shows up in a laowhy video I'm quickly reminded he's a white man from South Africa, if that makes sense.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are real markets where Wild animals are absolutely for sale to be either eaten or as illegal pets in Asia. And it's a real problem. I say this as an Asian person that grew up in Asia.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
the literal point of this fucking video is to show that the vast majority of wet markets are regular ass places being used to demean and discredit the sanitary habits of asian people and we still have people going b-b-b-b-but if you watch this then you'd be so horrified like that wasn't the intended purpose of those videos

obviously not all of these places are above board. stronger regulations should be in place. it's also really fucking obvious what people are trying to accomplish or enabling when they boost those made for facebook 15 second shock videos of asian folks (frequently not even chinese) taking bites out of roadkill or bats

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are real markets where Wild animals are absolutely for sale to be either eaten or as illegal pets in Asia. And it's a real problem. I say this as an Asian person that grew up in Asia.

Yes. There are places like that in China. In India. And a lot of south east asia too. But when we see headlines 'China re-opens wet markets' and we get the reactions we saw on fox, cnn, etc, that's very very uninformed based on this video. I am gonna guess the re-opening is the regular wet-markets. If these places are where the many neighborhoods get their food, how can you not open them.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

And they are like 0.0001% of all wet markets out there, if that. Probably lower. I say this as an Asian person who grew up in Asia.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I was typing out my own opinion of them but you worded it better than I could. I enjoy some of cmilk/laowhy's vids about China because he tends to go deeper than most people I can find and seems to have a lot of appreciation for the culture in general. As Commedieu said, he was very open about issues with coronavirus and even the Hong Kong protests. But outside of that, I wouldn't recommend going to him for opinions.

I make no effort to watch SerpentZA. Every time he shows up in a laowhy video I'm quickly reminded he's a white man from South Africa, if that makes sense.

Yah. This is all making me feel self reflective. I'm no where near a privledged white male. And yes serpentza has made comments that made my eyebrows raise on a few occasions, call it my own bigotry, but the bar was kind of low for any social information outside touring china. But the view inside of china is something I've never seen. So it was interesting to me. My yt is full of stuff but they just popped up as someone, at least with this topic in mind.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
i don't understand how this is more 'purposely misleading' than shock videos showing roasted bats on sticks to stoke up fear over dirty unwashed chinese people

it's also still not even confirmed that virus even ultimately came out of the huanan wet market and a lot of the panic was literally stoked by salacious racist imagery the media constantly deployed over about exotic chinese eating habits

Salacious or not, it's a fact that there are markets where live animals are stored in cages right on top of each other and pose significant risk of zoological virus transmission. There are only two realistic options for the origin of this virus. Someone ate a bat and got infected or someone working for the bio lab in Wuhan became infected from a laboratory bat and it escaped. It still doesn't change the fact that poorly run markets pose a risk. They are likely the source of SARS in mid 2000s as well and likely many other virus's of lesser extent over the last several millennia.

This isn't to say other cultures aren't posing similar risks, because they are with any type of farming and hunting practices, it's just that the way wet markets work they are systematically much higher risk.

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
SerpentZA is the very definition of white mediocrity. Just another schmuck in a long line of other schmucks who moved to a foreign country (typically somewhere in Asia) and leveraged every last drop of their whiteness to their advantage.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. There are places like that in China. In India. And a lot of south east asia too. But when we see headlines 'China re-opens wet markets' and we get the reactions we saw on fox, cnn, etc, that's very very uninformed based on this video. I am gonna guess the re-opening is the regular wet-markets. If these places are where the many neighborhoods get their food, how can you not open them.
Yeah of course. I guess I was so used to wet markets just being regular markets that I didn't notice the insidious racism. Like when I see the headline I don't think anything out of it. But yeah I guess I gave the average westerner far too much credit when it comes to stuff like this.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Accusation
This kind of video must get you sick social points.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
Salacious or not, it's a fact that there are markets where live animals are stored in cages right on top of each other and pose significant risk of zoological virus transmission. There are only two realistic options for the origin of this virus. Someone ate a bat and got infected or someone working for the bio lab in Wuhan became infected from a laboratory bat and it escaped. It still doesn't change the fact that poorly run markets pose a risk. They are likely the source of SARS in mid 2000s as well and likely many other virus's of lesser extent over the last several millennia.
considering no one actually ever confirmed bats were sold at huanan in the first place and the popular photo being circulated wasn't even from anywhere in china, we can probably cool it on what the 'real options' were.

and you keep failing to acknowledge that the vast majority of these markets are safe places to eat and purchase food, and that there's been widespread racist messaging about what wet markets are that people (such as this channel) have been fighting against. you already had someone in this thread talk about how they were led to believe they were exotic food trading markets because of media scaremongering.

like you're really missing the forest from the trees here. i don't know how you can talk about 'misleading' people by saying most wet markets are fine like videos cutting together the most disgusting footage they can from often a wide variety of places (and shot to make it seem as though it's one) don't also have their own agendas.

should wet markets be more strongly regulated? sure. most of them clearly don't seem to cause many problems though considering how widely spread throughout asia they are and the fixation on them is a really obvious racist dogwhistle about disgusting asian people getting diseased by their disgusting eating habits.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Not surprisingly, this thread's already been shatted up.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I live in Asia and it's not racist to say that there are definitely meat processing techniques here that would not fly in the west.

A lot of markets you go to cut up chicken etc and just leave it out with no refrigeration and with flies all over. I'm really surprised more people don't get ill.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Asia and it's not racist to say that there are definitely meat processing techniques here that would not fly in the west.

A lot of markets you go to cut up chicken etc and just leave it out with no refrigeration and with flies all over. I'm really surprised more people don't get ill.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the "racist" part of the wet market narrative.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the issue is "Wet Markets" in general, but specifically the exotic and wild life cesspool ones. Or is the OP and his white savior Youtuber insinuating stuff like the famous Vox video is a Hollywood set and fabrication? Only takes 1 to start a pandemic, regardless of the other 95% which may well be "good actors". Every single one of them needs to be very, very, very tightly regulated if they're allowed to operate.

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the issue is "Wet Markets" in general, but specifically the exotic and wild life cesspool ones. Or is the OP and his white savior Youtuber insinuating stuff like the famous Vox video is a Hollywood set and fabrication?

Seems that there are layers to "wet market" I always thought they meant the crazy ones with all the cross contamination.

Not just a holding area for animals.

This is what I imagined are the "wet markets"

But either way, are these creating the T-Virus? Probably not. But its likely healthier... to not have these food processing issues. I think -- its all a bit of a distraction. TBH.