• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So over last week my PC stopped reading my boot drive, it wasn't even recognized by CMOS. Cue me running out to get a fresh drive and after reinstalling everything I thought to see if I could chkdsk my way out of salvaging my old drive. After plugging it in, the supposed busted drive works and even boots from it.
The weird part about this is that I kind of suspect my PSU or motherboard also gave me shit over the new drive as well. I suspect at the moment that either the SSD is dying, the PSU was bad connectors, or some mystery motherboard SATA issue.
Any thoughts out there?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Turn on the SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) check in your BIOS if it isn't enabled yet. It will prompt you various messages during the boot screen if there is some kind of failure within your drives. As long as you don't get SMART errors for your HDDs or SSDs then your drive is most likely fine and the problem is located somewhere else.

OP
OP

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Turn on the SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) in your BIOS if it isn't enabled yet. It will prompt you various messages during the boot screen if there is a failure within your drives. As long as you don't get SMART errors for your HDDs or SSDs then your drive is most likely fine and the problem is located somewhere else.
Will try. thanks.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
SSD EOL typically results in write failures but reading from the drive, for example if mounted as read-only should still work. Controller failures should be rarer but could result in both read and write failures, I suppose. It's possible the connection got loose somehow and swapping out the drives and back again naturally meant reconnecting it, fixing the problem.

Oct 27, 2017
Exact same thing happened to my 3 year old Samsung M.2 boot drive a couple weeks ago. It coincided with a reboot immediately after a Win 10 update. I tried 4 or 5 reboots and was convinced it was trashed. BIOS did not recognize it in any way.

Ultimately, flipping the switch on the back of the PSU off for a minute, then on, allowed it to fire back up like nothing had happened.

Have been thinking about replacing it cause I'm not sure if something is hanging by a thread.