• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it ethical to remove pistachio shells before you buy them?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Pistachios cost $9 per pound at my local grocery store.

Is it ethical to shell them in the store before they're put on the scale (effectively giving you more nuts per pound)?

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
If you're buying from a big corporate supermarket chain that rakes in billions every year, I say fuck 'em.

If you're doing it to a local market that might actually need that revenue, then no.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I know you're not standing there shelling a bunch of pistachios. What would you even do with the shells.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

First of all, how long does it fucking take you to do that in store?

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Just pickup an extra hour at work for the 1+hr you would spend at the grocery store shelling pistachios and buy pre-shelled my dude.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Regardless of my answer on the ethics, where are you putting the shells? Back in the container?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I also ask my butcher to take a whole chicken, debone it in front of me and charge me the price per pound of the whole chicken.

They're already scamming me by trying to sneak in the ones with the shells you can't open.
Two ways to respond without totally raging.
1. You know that some pistachios will be closed and difficult/impossible going into your purchase. That's not a fucking scam.
2. It's a natural fucking product. Even if one reaches, to have the supply chain implement machinery to remove every sealed pistachio would cost machinery, thus money. Which would get passed on to you. Thus, more expensive per pound, but sans the HORROR AND SCAMMING OF SEALED PISTACHIOS BY THE CASHEW MAFIA.

Fuck.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I voted yes at first, because I thought you meant removing the empty shells.

Don't do that OP.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If you eat them all before putting them in the bag, then you really save some money per pound.

Seriously though, even if you want to cheat in such a petty way, it seems it would be too time consuming to be worth the small amount of money you save.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, there's a supermarket chain here that allows you to eat whatever you want, in store, and not pay for it AS LONG as you don't leave with the wrapper or the food. They just recently instituted this policy, and I've seen wrappers left all over the store. I'm very curious to see how long this lasts.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Way to fuck over the workers who provided you with the pre-shelled ones. You don't want to do it yourself? Pay a bit extra and support them.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017

First of all, how long does it fucking take you to do that in store?

For reals. Your time is far more valuable than any savings you would achieve here, unless you brought some sort of pistachio shelling machine in with you and the upfront investment cost of that would never be paid off unless you buy a metric fucktown of pistachios.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
There are 16 OZ in a pound. 1 pistachio weights about 0.02 OZ according to Google. That's a hell of a lot of in store pistachio shucking to save a really small amount of money.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some TikTok should show how OP is losing wealth (with pistachios) by wasting time shucking pistachios in store.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
2. It's a natural fucking product. Even if one reaches, to have the supply chain implement machinery to remove every sealed pistachio would cost machinery, thus money. Which would get passed on to you. Thus, more expensive per pound, but sans the HORROR AND SCAMMING OF SEALED PISTACHIOS BY THE CASHEW MAFIA.
Sounds like a "them" problem tbh, shoulda checked their nuts better

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Lets say you're buying 2lbs of Pistachio

Each shelled Pistachio weighs .05oz

Each Pistachio shell weighs .01oz

And each Pistachio takes 4sec to shell

And we'll round out the price to $10 a lb to make the math easy

So...

640 Shelled Pistachios in 2lbs

42.5 Mins to shell 640 Pistachios

533.5 Pistachios /w Shell in 2lbs

So you get an extra 107 Pistachios or about $3.34 worth of Pistachios for 43 minutes of work.

You did it. You stuck it to the man.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Absolutely not. There's a reason shelled nuts cost more and if you shell them then use the whole nut code you're technically stealing.

Dec 25, 2018
Lets say you're buying 2lbs of Pistachio

Each shelled Pistachio weighs .05oz

Each Pistachio shell weighs .01oz

And each Pistachio takes 4sec to shell

And we'll round out the price to $10 a lb to make the math easy

So...

640 Shelled Pistachios in 2lbs

42.5 Mins to shell 640 Pistachios

533.5 Pistachios /w Shell in 2lbs

So you get an extra 107 Pistachios or about $3.34 worth of Pistachios for 43 minutes of work.

You did it. You stuck it to the man.
don't you see? They're happy about their $4/hr time save