• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I actually wonder if PS5 -> PS4 -> PS Vita would work lol.
Sony already disable streaming apps like Netflix from working over PS4 Remote Play. Likely that the PS5 Remote Play app will be disabled from working over PS4 Remote Play.

Okay then

PS5 -> PS4 -> PC remote play -> VNC Remote Desktop -> Chrome Remote Desktop
May as well add in a live stream to YouTube at the end so that the point of display is a Nintendo Switch.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! Until we get HDMI 2.1 capture cards this should allow you to enjoy HDMI 2.1 on your PS5, while you stream it to your HDMI 2.0 PS4 that can connect to a capture card allowing you full control of your stream via a program like OBS that the internal live streaming option on PS5 won't.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid useless app now at the front of my games list. It's killing me how it's ruins the uniformity of my bar. 😤

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
I hope this is a thing, I put my Pro upstairs so if it means I can still play PS5 through it when others want the living room that's be awesome.

Brucey Bonus is they'll both be connected on gigabit lan, or it should be flawless.

Edit- Just updated my Pro and it is indeed there

Last edited:

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
That's a cool wee addition.

However, makes their silly excuse for not being able to use DS4 on PS5 even worse lol.

adeelgg

Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna sound strange, but wouldn't this allow me to use my scuf ps4 controller on ps5 games with minimal input delay? Say I set this up and have the ps4 within range for me to use the scuf controller on the ps5 tv as to not get the visual delay/loss of fidelity. My hope is the remote play input delay is due the to the video feed being streamed and the controller input isn't actually that delayed.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aww yissssss. I'll have my PS5 in my bedroom because of my toddler and the PS4 downstairs. This'll come in handy.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
This is an awesome feature and one I've been excited about since announced

Can't wait for analysis on how well it works

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I stream my PS4 to another room all of the time! Admittedly that's to a Windows PC (which I assume will still work with PS5?) but I'm the use case.

Basically will often power up the PS4 and do some remote play gaming while sat at my desk in my office when I'm taking a break. My consoles are on the other side of the house in my gaming den.

Yeah, the Windows app already mentions possible PS5 streaming.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Playing Playstation 5 Games with a Dualshock 4 on the Playstation 5 natively = Nope. Not gonna work. Can't be having that!

Playing Playstation 5 games with a Dualshock 4 via the Playstation 4 Remote App = Yep! Go ahead! It works!

It's almost as if the limitation has always been completely artificial to encourage people into buying more Dual Sense controllers.

As for this news; I might actually move my current PS4 Slim down to the Living Room if this works well. I wouldn't play many games using it but at least it's worth a try.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
INTERESTINGGGGGG. Meanwhile MS is killing some of its current remote play functionality (hopefully will get it back better, but..). Anyway, cool. Not as cool as not needing a PS5 in the first place, but very cool for people who have multiple consoles. I LOVE being able to pull up my console on my PC.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Wait, so besides that and that you can disable the DS5 new features on PS5, what is the actual reason that PS5 games played on PS5 are only allowed to be played by DS5?

Why buy more Dual Senses for the few times you might play local multiplayer if you can either buy a Dualshock 4 for cheap or use one of the ones you might have lying around?

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
So you can use a DualShock 4 for PS5 games, Sony just arbitriarily will cut off access so that you have to buy their shiny new $70 controller when you have 4 controllers that already work perfectly fine and some people (like me) prefer. Fantastic. Again, they really are doing everything "for the players"

Aug 10, 2020
Australia
Yeah, the product manager for the PS5 mentioned it was possible a few weeks ago. I requested PS3 remote play support, at least that way we could play PS1 games and the good Pixeljunk Monsters game. At least Sony is embracing one new use case.
This would actually be awesome. There's actually no reason why PS3 can't stream to PS5. I remember doing it to my PSP. I can imagine having both my PS3 and PS4 hooked up to my home network and stream to my PS5. And Pixeljunk Monsters on PS3 is the best! Must of pumped over 200hrs in that on co-op!

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
It should be a much bigger deal that DS4s won't work on PS5 games.... unless you stream them from a different console?

It's completely arbitrary

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Really clever and not subtle way of advertising and suggesting to people you should get a PS5.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
could be cool for coop.................................................. maybe...................... ?................................................
I mean, you'd still have to be playing a split screen game to do co-op with one console, even if the console in question is streaming to PS4.

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is useful, anybody with a family knows that it's not always possibly to play on the main TV in the house. I sometimes stream PS4 to my PC (running Chiaki) and while it's not perfect it's definitely playable. When I get my PS5 I could move the PS4 to another room and use that instead.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to have? Though for me, the last thing i'd want is having two power drainers powered on to play one game.

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
So...I plan on putting my PS4 in my sons room when the ps5 is delivered, with the app he would be able to play astrobot (ps5 exclusives) through the PS4?

If so, that's pretty amazing

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
So...I plan on putting my PS4 in my sons room when the ps5 is delivered, with the app he would be able to play astrobot (ps5 exclusives) through the PS4?

If so, that's pretty amazing

Something like Astrobot might be difficult to play effectively depending on it's usage of the Dual Sense.

Last edited:

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This is awesome and seems like a substantial long term move echoing the Xcloud ecosystem where you can play most of the same games on different platforms.

There are something like 100 million PS4s in homes so direct forward compatibility with the next system is very practical in families.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Playing Playstation 5 Games with a Dualshock 4 on the Playstation 5 natively = Nope. Not gonna work. Can't be having that!

Playing Playstation 5 games with a Dualshock 4 via the Playstation 4 Remote App = Yep! Go ahead! It works!
The exact same thing happened with the PSTV.
You couldn't connect the DS3 to a PS4, but you could play PS4 games with a DS3, through the PSTV's Remote Play.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
This feature might actually keep me from selling my PS4. I could put the PS5 in the living room while I keep my PS4 at my desk where it's currently hooked up to my monitor.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
How an app or anything gets added to the PS4 without any firmware update?
It was almost certainly added with a firmware update, but then timed only to appear when Sony wanted it to appear.

The exact same thing happened with the PSTV.
You couldn't connect the DS3 to a PS4, but you could play PS4 games with a DS3, through the PSTV's Remote Play.
Vita as well. There were some people last generation wondering whether Sony would allow the Vita to act as a controller for PS4 since it technically does have the ability to do that. Although Sony never showed any interest in allowing the Vita to be used as a controller, Remote Play made it possible via workaround anyway.

so you can do this via internet too with PS4 and PS5 placed in two different houses or only via ethernet?
It's Remote Play, so it'll work over the internet, though how well will be dependent on network conditions (and some places might block Remote Play traffic, but that will mostly be companies and most people presumably will not have their PS4 in their office).

Oct 28, 2017
This is so good! Will have ps5 in living room right next to router with wired connection, then ps4 in bedroom wired to homeplug powerline adapter so should be a pretty good connection between the two. Just one downside. Bedroom tv is only 720p so may need to upgrade!

Oct 25, 2017
I travel for work so this is actually awesome because I didn't plan to take my PS5 with me. Good to know I can still play my PS5 games if I choose to.