• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
168484.gif

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure the amount of people who have airtight plexiglass display cases with hot fluorescent light backing cut precisely to the dimensions of the PS5 is going to be fairly low.

Similarly clueless doesn't mean the exact same thing. There will be people who just don't get it.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
That's what happens folks when you try to do a last minute overclock to boost your performance. PS5 should have stayed a 9TF machine. Pre-order cancelled.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Guys, I plugged up the holes on my PS5. Just trying to prevent dust from getting in there. But it keeps overheating.

I wish I had known that the PS5 had such major overheating issues, I would have gotten something else.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
lol that's... truly ridiculous. Should have taken a thermal camera to it, just to find the threshold. You'd think console manufacturers might have requirements for the display of their premium consumer products :/

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Surely you just have a plastic cash with half in holes spread out over it for ventilation.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who's worked on kiosks like this in retail stores in the past, the display system is often not real at all (it's just a shell, with the LED inside turned on with power to simulate looking like it's real) The actual system is usually behind the wall of the kiosk or underneath. Note that the airflow for the actual system might still be completely lacking.

I have no clue if it's a real system or not in this case, but if it is... that's a super big oversight.

EDIT: looking at the image again, I don't really see any place to stick the hidden PS5 system securely, so it's likely the real thing in that tiny glass prison.
I don't think it is, there is no blue light coming from the top of the ps5 in the glass case. The actual console being used is probably stored somewhere with absolutely zero airflow as well though.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I now understand the design philosophy of the PS5...when it overheats and starts to deform the plastic case, you will never notice...

Seriously though, do the people setting up store displays not realize the product they are dealing with? These are demanding electronics...let them breathe...

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Is that an official Sony PS5 kiosk? Like did Sony really design a tiny enclosure to run a PS5 24/7? Is there holes that weren't drilled or something? What the fuck are they doing lol.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Couldn't they they wrap it in a vacuum plastic bag?
I bet there's 1/1.5 cubic inches we can shave.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a) that's a stupid design
b) what stupid fucking asshole thinks kiosks are a good idea in the middle of a pandemic?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Probably, but why even turn it on with all the embargoes and COVID? Just put some trailer compilation on the TV and let it off.
True. Haha my mind slipped about covid for a bit. Nobody can even play the thing, they might as well had a usb and a tv that could play videos on loop right from the USB. What the heck were they thinking? How many PS5's will die in this torture box?

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that a fanboys were claiming the PS4 overheats back in 2013, when pictures showed it overheating inside a plastic container.

Was about saying that! I remember clearly the same things happening to PS4 kiosks according to pictures, but didn't hear about the Kiosk problem after launch anymore.

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it is, there is no blue light coming from the top of the ps5 in the glass case. The actual console being used is probably stored somewhere with absolutely zero airflow as well though.

It's hard to see how deep the white part of the kiosk is with these head on pics(where the PS5 label is behind the displayed system) There could be enough room to shove a system in there.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was established that the PS5 doesn't have a particularly large volume, so surely volume of that case should be ok.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
So much for my everything glass aesthetic!

Can't believe they still do this, they're in need of a "there must be a better way" infomercial.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I thought a lot of kiosks like this put fake consoles up front and the real console is in a well ventilated space underneath?

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Could be a prop in the display case, not the one running. They do this sometimes.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
didnt these have trouble too at launch? so weird
2344156-5054720542-ps4ki.JPG

All of the PS demo kiosks have had heat issues. Technically, all the kiosks do. I remember setting one of these up:

ps3kiosk.jpg

And boy did that thing get lava-hot within an hour of being turned on.

You would think they'd build ventilation into these things, but the actual console (not the dummy prop in the acrylic casing) is literally always in the bottom enclosure that has, like, one 80mm fan and a few shielded holes for "ventilation". It's basically an oven...

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Could be a prop in the display case, not the one running. They do this sometimes.

The very first PS4 units were like this too. You could even look behind it and see nothing was connected. The real unit was a PC-like box in the cabinet underneath, with even less ability to verify the ventilation etc.

TBH it's rare that I see working console kiosks even today with consoles that have been out for years. This isn't even the least bit worrying.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is a non issue for the console itself but who the hell designed this display? How are they employed?