• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Hello everyone, a big event just happened that made next to no noise and I'd like to give it a spotlight.

Magic Castle, an unreleased PS1 Net Yaroze game was just finished and released not even two weeks ago. It was done by Japanese studio KAIGA, which was just a few people working on a prototype to pithc to publishers so they can turn it into a full-fledged PS1 game. Publishers were impressed, but then wanted to hire them to work on other projects or asked them to hire the necessary developers themselves, and they were too young to handle all the corporate pressure.

The game is mighty impressive though. This "prototype" is extremely fun and I can see why they were ambitious. I think they could have done something that is, in some ways, ahead of its time.

I played it myself, and it's worth your time. It is by far the best Net Yaroze game I've played.

Here is a presentation of the game, which is playable!

It's procedurally generated, with 20 floors to go through to fight the Evil Warlock. You have access to four classes: Knight, Archer, Fighter, and Wizard. All of them have their own specific abilities.

For example, the UI can be moved around at will. You can decide what is the best place to put for maximum comfort. I was very impressed with this feature. Not just that, but the wheel allows you to cycle through every item and gear and use/equip them without ever going into the menu proper. The quality of life features on this thing is more than actual modern games I've played recently!

CtQPXqf.gif

There are sometimes cool monster rooms where you have to learn how to get past, like using magic scrolls. Sometimes enemies can even follow you in different rooms. You always have to be on your toes.
0g8JUnt.gif

Another super cool thing: the music is dynamic! It changes on the fly depending on the room you're in. The music itself is very cool and atmospheric (activate sound in video)

The game also had 4-player coop! It is not yet implemented, but you can go through the tower with four people and just have fun whacking enemies together. It was supposed to support multi-tap controllers. It was in essence designed to be a local multiplayer roguelike game.

And it's still fun to this day!

Here's the VHS presentation, I think it was intended as a pitch to publishers

You can read the full interview of the people involved in this game here: http://netyaroze-europe.com/Media/Magic-Castle#Release_-_Magic_Castle_.28Kaiga.29_2020_23_Dec
The rom of the game to play is here: https://archive.org/details/magic-castle-2020-23-dec

Play it. It's playable on emulator and console and really worth your time. It's not stupid hard either. I did my first run with Knight in 1 hour and 22 minutes without a game over and I really enjoyed my time with it.

I myself made a tweet thread about some of the info there in order to get more eyes on it https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1345095997098258434
If you know retro content creator who would be interested by it, share it to them. I think it's too interesting to pass up and I was genuinely shocked it was released in obscurity. It was a miracle that I learned about it randomly too.

There are also the people involved on this game. K. Matsunami (SG_matsu), ended up working at Sega. PIROWO (PIROWO1) is still working on ames to this day. The composer, hosplug (hosplug_hosoi) is also still a game composer. To finally see the fruit of their efforts is thrilling.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Incredible.

I remember seeing info about Net Yaroze back in the day in PSM issues and thought it was a cool idea but I was too young to understand how it worked. I was always curious if anyone ever made games with it. This thread is definitely sending me down a rabbit hole.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Shame I'm still waiting on the adapter board for my xstation. Will check out when I am able.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore the movable HUD. Very unique!

Squidlydoo

Dec 11, 2020
Awesome. Used to love the games on the demo discs. My friend and I used to play a little space shooter called Gravitation a lot.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Wait they finished this old prototype and are giving it away for free? Pretty crazy.

Especially like that HUD shifting thing since i game on a plasma. Thanks for making a thread about this cool freebie.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
For example, the UI can be moved around at will. You can decide what is the best place to put for maximum comfort. I was very impressed with this feature. Not just that, but the wheel allows you to cycle through every item and gear and use/equip them without ever going into the menu proper. The quality of life features on this thing is more than actual modern games I've played recently!

CtQPXqf.gif

This is the one thing that stood out to me. The ability to control where you want to put the UI at on the screen is impressive from a UX design point of perspective.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
this is awesome, game looks rad! the moveable especially UI is a very impressive concept and something that should probably be in a lot of games today,

will peep asap

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Thanks dude! Always down for these crazy unique PS1 gems. Stuff like Vib Ribbon, Pepsiman, LSD Dream Emulator, Mizurna Falls, the unreleased port of Baldur's Gate, the fan-translated Ace Combat 3, etc. Definitely gonna throw this on my hacked Playstation Classic and try it out later.
How do you play this? On PC?
Yeah, just download an emulator frontend like Retroarch, load up any of the numerous Playstation cores, and play the ROM. Personally, I use a port of Retroarch on my Playstation Classic called Retroboot.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Uff, yeah that looks good, will try it soon. Think the net yaroze game I spent the most time with was Blitter Boy

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible.

I remember seeing info about Net Yaroze back in the day in PSM issues and thought it was a cool idea but I was too young to understand how it worked. I was always curious if anyone ever made games with it. This thread is definitely sending me down a rabbit hole.

good vid on net yaroze.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
It's a good thing I didn't have this back in the ps1 days. I would of probably spent an unhealthy amount of time on it.

God damn rouge-lites are crack

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's been so long since I've touched a PS1 game that I'd forgotten about the texture alignment issues.

But anyway, this looks impressive.

fushi

Oct 26, 2017
So, I can't for the life of me figure out how to switch the HUD position. Is it some menu item I am missing?

Also, I have seen random dudes saying they need a sword to fight. Can I somehow whichever extra swords I have picked up to them?

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So, I can't for the life of me figure out how to switch the HUD position. Is it some menu item I am missing?

Also, I have seen random dudes saying they need a sword to fight. Can I somehow whichever extra swords I have picked up to them?
If you press start you can move them around. Maybe you have to press start twice.

And you have to throw them the sword with L2 or R2

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
I'm confused OP. You said it was "finished" two weeks ago, but also say it's a prototype. This this a finished game, or an unfinished prototype. Either way it looks cool

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
My friend linked me your tweet last night because he thought it looked up my alley. He was right! This looks awesome and it's cool it got finished all these years later. I love the aesthetic.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Does any cover art exist for this yet? It'd be nice to have something to go along with the ROM on my PS Classic.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Hoo boy, I can see why they're saying "play this on an emulator" - I made an eboot for my Vita, and it doesn't particularly run great most of the time. Lots of slowdown/stuttering.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Hoo boy, I can see why they're saying "play this on an emulator" - I made an eboot for my Vita, and it doesn't particularly run great most of the time. Lots of slowdown/stuttering.
Damn, it plays perfectly in Retroboot on my Playstation Classic. I was just going to comment on how smooth it feels.

The animations and controls are super responsive and I'm impressed with the lack of loading or transitions betwen rooms, everything just streams immediately from one thing to the next. Really fun little game, and it feels very modern.

I also like how each class has a unique circle-button action. Knight has a shield, Wizard casts a pillar of flame, etc. Very simple and accessible. If this game got the support it needed it would've been an essential multiplayer classic back in the day.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Damn, it plays perfectly in Retroboot on my Playstation Classic. I was just going to comment on how smooth it feels.

The animations and controls are super responsive and I'm impressed with the lack of loading or transitions betwen rooms, everything just streams immediately from one thing to the next. Really fun little game, and it feels very modern.

I also like how each class has a unique circle-button action. Knight has a shield, Wizard casts a pillar of flame, etc. Very simple and accessible. If this game got the support it needed it would've been an essential multiplayer classic back in the day.

Turns out it's down to the camera angle, most of the time. You can fiddle with it during slowdown to get it working better - for whatever reason the top-down angle runs a lot better most of the time.

Anyways... managed to finish a run with the Archer. That was a fun distraction.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
This is dope af! I remember the demo disc for the official Playstation magazine having Net Yaroze created game (demos) on it from time to time. It was always interesting to try those out.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't notice any slowdown playing this on my actual PS1, did I not get far enough or something?

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool. I almost wish it was a little larger and distributed on something like steam with an emulator wrapper -- it would have been nice to support the devs here.

Anyway, I hope to check it out sometime soon.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool. I almost wish it was a little larger and distributed on something like steam with an emulator wrapper -- it would have been nice to support the devs here.

Anyway, I hope to check it out sometime soon.
I am always a fan when devs toss stuff like this on itch.io with a pay what you want to download the rom/iso with a little emulator wrapper for ease. If the dev happens to be checking in here I'd happily toss a few bucks even though I already nabbed it.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I saw an article about this earlier today. I love that they finished it; looks really good. The UI dynamic is crazy ahead of it's time (though, technically it came out in 2020, so idk if that counts)

Would love to be able to purchase it. Either for original hardware or released on modern consoles.