• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017

Fallout 76 is a cautionary tale for an industry that exercises no caution whatsoever. A wake-up call for an industry that remains asleep at the wheel. Bethesda's broken, unfinished, poorly received foray into the "live service" arena has been a neverending carnival of humiliating nonsense. A fine example of what happens when you play to none of your strengths for the sake of ill-gotten gains. With a big iron on our hips, let's take a look at the embarrassing, baffling, and often funny mess that is Fallout 76!

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
He's right on the money. They've ruined the standing one of the most beloved cRPGs in gaming, trading away its pedigree for a brazen cash grab, turning what could have been a learning moment in the wake of Fallout 4's missteps into a cynical attempt at milking whatever remained of its legacy. Let's hope 'The Outer Worlds' helps to wash away the foul taste of what Bethesda has done to the Fallout license.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I was kind interested in the video but after a few minutes I just skipped through.

We've covered this before jim. Endlessly. FOR. WHAT. SEEMS. LIKE. FOREVER.

Jim could've covered something else on E3 Monday.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I expect better from Jim than just doing the umpteen zillionth Fallout 76 rehash.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This is the perfect response video to the crowd losing their shit over human NPC's with actual dialouge getting added to the game.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
User Warned: Threadwhining
What's the point in your post then? It's a shit post to derail the thread. The first page won't be talking about the video but rather your feelings about the person making it.
I mean sorry, but we've just done this thread so many times and its getting redundant.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I was kind interested in the video but after a few minutes I just skipped through.

It makes sense to cover it today given that last night they announced NPCS were coming, aka something that should have been in at launch.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What's the point in your post then? It's a shit post to derail the thread. The first page won't be talking about the video but rather your feelings about the person making it.

unfortunately, there're some threads that, by their very nature, seem to be almost designed/destined to be derailed :) ...

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
He's right on the money. They've ruined the standing one of the most beloved cRPGs in gaming, trading away its pedigree for a brazen cash grab, turning what could have been a learning moment in the wake of Fallout 4's missteps into a cynical attempt at milking whatever remained of its legacy. Let's hope 'The Outer Worlds' helps to wash away the foul taste of what Bethesda has done to the Fallout license.

Or they could learn from their mistakes and deliver a completely awesome Fallout 5.

Bytqd2j.jpg

Hell, the new Wastlander's DLC for 76 is showing signs of that already.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It really wasn't meant to be a shitpost, it was just an observation on my part. Ya'll are taking this way too seriously and with all your replies to my comment it's actually not me who is derailing the thread right now. I'm sorry, relax.

if you don't like a thread, don't post, easy. don't try to shift this on someone else when your comment is the first one up there.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
I mean, you could also say "then don't play it" in response to people who still hate on Fallout 76.

I'm also in the "sick of Jim" camp, and outrage Youtubers in general. I'm tired of people who profit off of incessant negativity.
He doesn't play it, if you actually watched his videos. His complaining and bringing attention to it is necessary if the industry is to change from itMs current trend.

Last edited:

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that the game launched in a shitty state... But, they really have done some great things with it and turned it around. The upcoming update (That adds NPC's will also be great).

My friends and I downloaded it last night, excited to jump back into it.

If Fallout 76 taught us anything, its to hold off on Bethesda online experiences until you know its complete.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I understand that the game launched in a shitty state... But, they really have done some great things with it and turned it around.

The upcoming dlc sounds promising but can you elaborate how they've done great things already and already turned it around? Really curious cause all I ever noticed were bug fixes and slight balance chances but no groundbreaking game changes and that's what the game needs.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy he points out how terrible and buggy Bethesda's previous games were and how that shield of RPG Story/Quests protected them from critics for so long.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
An industry that exercises no caution?

We're talking about the same industry that falls back on conventions and trends instead of new ips left and right?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. His claimed authority to feel like it's his duty to punish mistakes has reached a kind of absurdity to be honest

It's weird 'cause I respect the lens he puts on more important industry issues such as work crunch and loot boxes.

But his grudge with BGS over 76 just feels like a callous cynicism that's more toxic than anything at this point.

Bethesda f'ed up with 76. That's no secret. But FFS how long is he gonna go on about it? Not like BGS is the fist AAA dev to lay an egg.

Feels like he's returned to the well far too many times in this case.

Just move on, my dude.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe Bethesda looked at the feedback from Fallout 4 and thought 76 would be a good idea. They yanked the franchise and it's such a problem because we're probably over a decade away from Fallout 5

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Hot damn that was good! I loved hearing the old Jimquisition music theme again.

I'll admit I actually did get a twinge of excitement upon hearing that 76 was actually going to start resembling a real Fallout game finally, and that is having me consider getting a used copy online. I can get it for 18 bucks on Ebay so maybe i'll give it a shot.
Some people really love sucking the corporate pipe.
Indeed, just look at the Fallout 76 sub-reddit, the sheer amount of fanboy ass-kissing on behalf of Bethesda is downright embarrassing, just look at the posts in this thread I made on that sub:https://old.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/byzce4/a_postnuclear_postmortem_of_fallout_76_the/

Kind of sick of Jim Sterling tbh.
Then why are you even commenting on here?

I expect better from Jim than just doing the umpteen zillionth Fallout 76 rehash.
Uh wrong, it's not an "umpteenth" video it's been months since Jim has said anything relating to the game and it's entirely relevant now. I expect better from people then just complaining because someone dares to criticize a game or a company.

I'm aware but a 20 minute video recapping EVERYTHING about Fallout 76 so far is a bit of a dull, cold take.
Speak for yourself, it wasn't a "dull cold take" for most of us at all, I found it utterly fascinating just how badly Bugthesda fucked up, it almost makes me feel like they were actively trying to fuck up as much as humanely possible with this game.

This content is less original than a DSP stream.
and your post is less original then an alt-right nutjob whining about "SJWs" and "forced diversity"

Uh you do realize it's been months since Jim said anything about 76 right?

I mean, you could also say "then don't play it" in response to people who still hate on Fallout 76.

I'm also in the "sick of Jim" camp, and outrage Youtubers in general. I'm tired of people who profit off of incessant negativity.
Jim does plenty of positive videos too but the problem they don't get nearly as many views and the Youtube algorithm punishes you if you do too many videos with low videos so Jim kind of HAS to keep doing negative content or his videos will stop getting promoted and way less people will see them as a result.

So no he does not "profit off negativity"(his JQ videos are ad-free anyways)

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brb going to the Pokemon OT to complain that i'm fucking tired of hearing about Pokemens.

Because that's productive and not stupid at all.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they just announce a lot of new features for the game? Feels like bad timing from Jim. Not that I care for the game much but there is still a chance to turn it around as long as there is a community. They did it with TESO, they can do it again.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Contrast that with BGS leading their conference with a mea culpa, free upgrades to the game and highlighting and thanking their players. I'm a fan of Jim's but maybe not the best timing considering the context.

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't they just announce a lot of new features for the game? Feels like bad timing from Jim. Not that I care for the game much but there is still a chance to turn it around as long as there is a community. They did it with TESO, they can do it again.
Problem is that the additional features are ones that should have been in there since launch. The studio tried to explain away why NPCs weren't in vanilla but now all of a sudden the addition of a basic component of an RPG is being celebrated by a lot of people in the community. I mean, I get it. No Man's Sky pulled a very similar trick a couple of years ago and was met with the same polarized response.

I don't think basic elements of a game that aren't included in vanilla should be touted about as "new" features after the bitter taste the initial release left in players' mouth. But, hey, at least it isn't including bug fixes and "optimizations" as additional content a la Anthem.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Nah you can criticize constructively that's different than I'm sick of this. Plus it shows trends in gaming even if you avoid fallout 76 it's a major game by a major publisher and shows general industry trends and issues.