• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
recently finished. amazing visuals and story but i think it lasted a bit long. still 8/10

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
The level design and stealth mechanics reminded me of those one-off stealth levels in other games, except it was the entire game. Levels were generally very small and linear with very few tools at your disposal, getting a little bit better towards the end. AI routines generally had them sitting in the same place staring in the same direction the entire time, or they would patrol in a straight line. Something like Styx: Master of Shadows completely eclipses this game in level design and mechanics. Also standing still and playing target practice against rat tornadoes isn't very engaging, and the game falls back on this a lot in the second half.

One thing the game does excel at is environment design- it's a gorgeous game. The rat tech also looks incredible. Another small touch I liked was if you distract a guard too many times, he'll raise a general alert and the enemies in the surrounding area will look for you

Last edited:

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
The visuals, art direction and sound design/music are incredibly good. The story is just ok and the actual gameplay they tried to put in is straight terrible.
it's a lot like hellblade to me, in that the mediocre gameplay almost undoes all the good the game has, but not quite. it's great, but the actual playing part isnt the best
This. It's a good game and I get the praises from people who value storydriven games. The great visuals certainly don't hurt.
But if you are a 'gameplay first' guy like me it lacks a lot in this area.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
It's a middling game. I wouldn't hurry to recommend it to anyone, really.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I am just not interested in the characters, the setting and the gameplay. Everything looks boring to me personally. Watched a friend playing this game and yeah... This isn't for me.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
The problem I have with the game is its half-baked stealth.

It is a low-complexity stealth game, so if you (like me) do not enjoy stealth games it won't do for you, while if you LOVE stealth games, this is quite weak.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easily in my top 5 from last year, great story and decent game play.

I generally hate stealth but the game keeps it simple so it isn't too annoying. Hopefully we get a sequel.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it a couple of days ago.

Good game that somewhat fizzled in the last 2-3 hours. I still enjoyed the atmosphere, visuals and overall gameplay.

Solid 8/10

If you have Game Pass, try it

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Amazing game. One of the best of last year. Great music too!

Agree with the comment about the early story already being pretty bonkers that it's hard to imagine you could think the ending would be grounded..

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Was a perfect Game Pass game, i.e. I enjoyed my time in my first playthrough but don't feel the urge to ever replay it. Would likely play a sequel. I played with the French dub and thought the voice acting was good.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's a great game, the atmosphere is fantastic and the setting feels unique

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I liked it but have no desire to play it again. Visually it is gorgeous. Lack of ultrawide support was annoying for a new game but fixed by patching.

But the game mechanics themselves often feel underutilized and seem like they needed just more something.

I had a hard time deciding which language voice to use. English sounds like speaking with a French accent while somehow the voices fit better than French. Best voices were in German version but otherwise it did not work for me. I think I swapped between English and French during the whole game.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Voice actress of Amicia was amazing, so was the soundtrack. What an intense and atmospheric game. Combat felt meaningful instead of fighting hordes and the stealth was easy and simple enough not be cumbersome and annoying, preventing you from progressing through the story.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Platinumed it Saturday. Was alright. Not as great as ppl were saying. The sound mix on ppl was weird like they were all recorded in a giant hall. The echo is strange

Dunbar

Dec 9, 2017
Columbus, OH
I looked forward to it before release but only because I thought it was a more straightforward adventure/story game like Life is Strange or a Telltale game. Once I realized every level was going to have boring and simplistic stealth sequences I fell off pretty quickly and quit after a few chapters. Very pretty game though.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Really enjoyed it, considering how I had no real expectations of it beforehand.

Althogh I was definitely expecting something more, uh, grounded.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Currently in chapter 8 and really enjoying it. But bracing myself for a change in tone that is apparently imminent.

Also do yourself a favor and play in French with English subtitles (chef's kiss)

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Was really pleasantly surprised by the sheer diversity of the gameplay sections. They never seemed too long and thus the game stayed fresh for my entire playthrough.

I also thoroughly hated the kid (its original French dub is no help) and was even more happy when I realized that chunks of the game let the main character free of his annoying ass.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
A generally fantastic AA experience that gets worse the further in you get.

Would still recommend though, especially if you've got Game Pass.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
The crafting and upgrading felt pretty pointless. The game basically won't let you not have the required resources to pass any part of the game, which in itself is not a bad thing, but it does make you wonder why they bothered with the crafting/upgrading system at all. If it were axed for a follow-up I wouldn't miss it.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
The crafting and upgrading felt pretty pointless. The game basically won't let you not have the required resources to pass any part of the game, which in itself is not a bad thing, but it does make you wonder why they bothered with the crafting/upgrading system at all. If it were axed for a follow-up I wouldn't miss it.

If you look at speedruns they basically upgrade nothing because it's faster. I agree the upgrading system is just fluff rather than adding anything to the game.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
As a game let's be real - the stealth is as brain dead as it gets, and your hand is held the entire time.

But it's so beautifully done that the ride is still very enjoyable.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I also want to add that the English voice work and script for Amicia and Hugo was just outstanding. I say this as someone who actively despises the inclusion of children in most stories, because they're either terribly acted (by adults pretending to be kids) or terribly written (by adults trying to be kids), or worse both, and often come across as totally disconnected from the story, weirdly out of place given age, and presented as annoying baggage.

Amicia cast kids as kids, and whoever wrote the script nailed a level of earnest emotional resonance between two siblings and their place in the world that made them totally believable. The performances are just out of this world good and, in my opinion, as authentic as anything else you'd find in top tier industry standards. I adored Amicia and Hugo and never once felt frustrated at their journey or characterisation.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Even if it didn't the gameplay mechanics stemmed from it were rubbish anyway.

Not at all. I loved the gameplay mechanics precisely because they were so.. Gamey?

I don't like games that forget what they are and this struck a balance between cinematic spectacle and "if I moved this here, dodge to there, throw that there and extinguish that" steps by step mechanical driven gameplay.

I've missed games like that as most cinematic games these days opt for less mechanical and more fluid psuedo gameplay where you don't actually have to do that much.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Finished it last week thanks to game pass . Absolutely phenomenal game , beautiful graphics , perfect length and no extra padding.
I really like this kind of smaller games , not every game has to be 20-100+ hours epic .

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
As a game let's be real - the stealth is as brain dead as it gets, and your hand is held the entire time.

But it's so beautifully done that the ride is still very enjoyable.

THE AI is very limited but it reminded me of old school games that way. I LOVED that I could pop up, get seen, shot and, then hide and just watch the guards cycle download until they go ¥oh well, must have imagined it".

It actually made me warm to the game more than if they had super intelligent flanking guards who would have kept hunting me once spotted.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's a very good game but I'd hesitate overselling it.

Go in expecting a decent if unspectacular AA game and you'll likely be pleasently surprised. Go in expecting The Last of Us and you'll probably wonder what the fuss was about.

Did make my top 10 last year though.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I did not play it as the pc version does not have HDR support.
So, there is no definitive version, I have to choose between HDR and 60fps. I did not like the response from their community manager: https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/39741/hdr-for-pc/3 , so decided not to support them (being the entitled gamer).
I might play it on a nextgen console, if they remove the 30fps cap.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
A friend recommended this to me and the game has been on my radar since then, I hope I actually get around to playing it. It does look really interesting.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I played it at launch and mention it here on every opportunity I get. Definitely one of the best games of last year.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Story is average at best, art direction is decent but gameplay is archaic. I know why people rate this, I just don't agree because as a whole it's lacking.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
A Plague Tale was without a doubt my favorite game of last year. I also was kind of dumbfounded as to why more people weren't singing its praises. The last level or 2 starts to get a little to action heavy but before I got annoyed with it the game ended. I loved it. Can't wait for the next one.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I thought it was pretty good. Setting and atmosphere were excellent, plenty of variety in environment. It's worth playing just for that IMO.

Stealth gets old after a couple of hours but at least it's extremely easy.

Characters and story are underdeveloped, and the near absence of facial animation is really jarring.

I have high hopes for the sequel though.