• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
Only just got around to playing this lately, started a couple of days ago and I am up to chaper 11 (Anybody know how far this is??) Great game so far and an absolute stunner to look at!

Omnqanb.jpg

2A095j4.jpg

less

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing this a few days ago and I'm absolutely in love with this game. It started off as a gorgeous looking game but once we reached that town with Hugo and Amicia I became fully aboard it. The game started enhancing the tension and I loved the way the game approached all the nightmarish stuff. The way Amicia reacts to having to kill, seeing the dead bodies, having to walk on them just helps me emotionally feel for her and Hugo in this way. Hats off to the developers for crafting this gem.

Only a little bit left for me to finish.

Only just got around to playing this lately, started a couple of days ago and I am up to chaper 11 (Anybody know how far this is??) Great game so far and an absolute stunner to look at!

Pretty close to the end I believe. Just a few more chapters left.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Awesome game but those awful last sections are bringing it down a bit...its like I am suppose to turn into Kratos all of a sudden to avoid and fight during this mess of a few Boss fights...? quit out for now before I throw my controller in the TV.

Last edited:

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, the last boss fight really diminished my appreciation for the whole game. I did actually quit in frustration after an hour of repeatedly dying, figuring that if I kept pounding my head against that wall it was genuinely going to spoil the enjoyment I'd gotten out of everything that led up to it. Next day I looked up a playthrough to see if there was anything I'd been overlooking, to discover that I'd stopped literally 10 seconds before the final cut scene, and that I'd been doing the right thing but I just wasn't quick enough. About 10 minutes later I was done.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever enjoyed any boss fight, especially when they essentially throw out all the gameplay you've been enjoying up until then and then say "here's a new mechanic - you'll have to successfully complete this to get back to the game that you like".

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Is there a PC performance thread for this? Having FPS issues getting this to run well at 4K/60 on a 2080ti, not sure if this is a common problem?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I know it's a bit late, but I finally took pictures of the statue that my partner managed to bring back home. For context, my partner worked on A Plague Tale.
It is an absolutely stunning statue, the details are amazing, such high quality!

50b9R99.jpg

SBs2mIX.jpg

qIXZV8G.jpg

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Finished this game on Xbox One X via GamePass. It is a beautiful game for sure, but it can't decide if it is a stealth or combat game. Enjoyed it the first 12 chapters or so but then it became way too combat oriented and your character is too sluggish for it to work. The last boss fight was horrible. I died 10+ times until I realized how I needed to move around.

Maxxan

Jan 7, 2018
Sorry about highjacking this thread. Not wanting to hate on games and was hoping this was going to be a chill, follow-to-arrow story game. But god, tjis game has barely been tested, I'm fairly good at games and I'm being murdered. Fuck this, avoid!!!

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry about highjacking this thread. Not wanting to hate on games and was hoping this was going to be a chill, follow-to-arrow story game. But god, tjis game has barely been tested, I'm fairly good at games and I'm being murdered. Fuck this, avoid!!!
Not really fair to shit on the game just because you keep dying in it, outside of a couple of parts at the end it honestly isn't that hard.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I have no idea why you think the game "has barely been tested"; I found it beautiful, well-written, and relatively unchallenging until the last boss fight, which I hated. But that didn't make the rest of it bad, and I certainly didn't encounter any bugs.

Are you thinking it's a game with combat? Because it's really not; mostly the solution to every encounter is to sneak your way past, or sneak up on people and knock them out. (Unless they lock the doors on you and make it clear that you have to fight your way out.)

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
Finished this today, fantastic game overall although I wasn't a big fan of how the story unfolded in the late part of the game. Final boss fight had me raging but the worst was the pushing the carriage part in the last chapter...almost lot my mind.
But yeah, characters were great and really loved both Amicia and Hugo, gameplay was great for the most part and loved the graphics and art direction/atmosphere.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Finished today after taking a year long break at chapter 7 I think. Really liked it. They keep adding elements to keep it spicy even if the core stealth and sling ain't all that, it works for the purposes. Even the Kojima level wtfs towards the end are rad

great script and voice acting. Honestly the scenery and props are also so good it really makes the lack of facial animation Stand out. Imagine this game with tlou2 faces? Wow

Mar 22, 2019
Ok how did i miss this?? Booted it up on GamesPass as was looking for something "different" and historical setting.
WOW.

I'm going to say it...I enjoyed A Plague Tale more than Last Of Us 2 - sure its a different gameplay but wow if it isnt a more compelling story i thought and yes it got a bit dumb towards the end but the visuals are STUNNING, the voice acting was on point, scenery, sound design everything!

Also, now i'm officially terrified of rats.

I'm urging my friends to play this too as most of them had never heard of it which is a crying shame.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I started this yesterday and finished it today. I loved the first half to two thirds of it. The art design and sound design are great, and it's super directed and linear and the pacing and mechanics all work really well because of that. I love the whole "five rag tag kids living in an ancient chateau" thing. Just feels so cool. The story though...it just becomes a ridiculous mess at the end and by the final boss fight I was like kind of in awe that the writers squandered such a seemingly basic premise.

There isn't enough character development for most of the cast and also I think the way the game is written feels very odd at times. Dialogue and banter can feel stilted and unnatural, and delivery is weak in spots (it's so hard to tell what is going on with some of these accents in spots). It's also hard to believe that some of these kids are doing the things they're doing, but in general I'm willing to let that slide in service of a good story. But yeesh this game gets freaky fast.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I started this yesterday and finished it today. I loved the first half to two thirds of it. The art design and sound design are great, and it's super directed and linear and the pacing and mechanics all work really well because of that. I love the whole "five rag tag kids living in an ancient chateau" thing. Just feels so cool. The story though...it just becomes a ridiculous mess at the end and by the final boss fight I was like kind of in awe that the writers squandered such a seemingly basic premise.

There isn't enough character development for most of the cast and also I think the way the game is written feels very odd at times. Dialogue and banter can feel stilted and unnatural, and delivery is weak in spots (it's so hard to tell what is going on with some of these accents in spots). It's also hard to believe that some of these kids are doing the things they're doing, but in general I'm willing to let that slide in service of a good story. But yeesh this game gets freaky fast.

I still believe this game would have been better as a full on walking simulator with no choices and just dialog choices. The combat/stealth in the game varies from mediocre to just contrived and ridiculous. The moment I defeated a fully armoured knight with a rock sling I knew the combat was going to be a bad time. As you say the new mech introduced in the last third get even more absurd and the last boss fight is just embarrassing. You can just tell they were constantly struggling to figure out how to shoehorn stealth and "fighting" which is why it constantly feels contrived and eye rollingly convenient at times.

Everything else in the game is actually fantastic to me from the art direction, attention to detail, minimal UI and music. Even the voice performances were solid enough in French considering the budget.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I still believe this game would have been better as a full on walking simulator with no choices and just dialog choices. The combat/stealth in the game varies from mediocre to just contrived and ridiculous. The moment I defeated a fully armoured knight with a rock sling I knew the combat was going to be a bad time. As you say the new mech introduced in the last third get even more absurd and the last boss fight is just embarrassing. You can just tell they were constantly struggling to figure out how to shoehorn stealth and "fighting" which is why it constantly feels contrived and eye rollingly convenient at times.

Everything else in the game is actually fantastic to me from the art direction, attention to detail, minimal UI and music. Even the voice performances were solid enough in French considering the budget.

I wouldn't say that. I don't mind contrived/inorganic because it's a game and I want mechanics to support "fun" gameplay over immersion. I enjoyed all of the sneaking around / rat escaping / fire puzzles until the end of the game when it began to stretch its mechanics too far. Having to light all the braziers (btw the actors could not decide on the pronunciation of brazier and shifted multiple times) for no reason was purely filler and not fun, and then having to do it again was also not fun. The
rat tornados
were stupid and significantly damaged the plot of characters of the game. Then the end game combat was just a huge miss and I find it hard to believe that wasn't a common sentiment on the dev team.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Does this game have an "Easy" or "Story Mode"?

If I remember correctly the only option was to hide the hud to make it more immersive by not highlighting interactive objects. I played the game when it came out though, so I don't know whether difficulty leveles were introduced in a later patch. The game is not really hard though, it's mainly puzzles and stealth.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
There are a few boss fights, but even as a someone who's never run across a boss fight that I didn't hate, I was able to get through it. Except for the final boss fight, which I thought was terrible, and caused me to give up on the game for a day. Watched a YouTube video of what to do and discovered I'd managed to get to just five seconds before the fight ended; tried it again and was done.

As sym30l1c says, it's mainly puzzles and stealth, though, and well worth playing. Be aware that even when they give you tools that look like they're for combat they're mainly there as tools to solve stealth puzzles.

Field

Oct 29, 2017
I think I died two or three times more often in this than Demons Souls remake. Hated the gameplay. Shame since I liked the story and artstyle/graphics

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
I finally got around playing it thanks to gamepass PC and I'm kind of... Amazed?
The game looks really good. Not in terms of characters or high fidelity, but the overall mood is nice and the lighting Really adds a lot.

I finished chapter 3 and even though it's a lot of "run from A to B" script sequences and a feel of linearity I really enjoy the puzzle aspect and the overall theme of this strange plague, people getting desperate and two kids trying to survive.
These massive swarms of rats and the sheer destruction they cause are really something.

Also switching the audio to French does a lot. The English actors are not bad but that French accent gets annoying after a while..
I'm really looking forward to play more after work.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'll give it another shot with the patch but all I remember was playing for a while and just constantly hating on the weak gameplay mechanics. I'm not a fan of walking sims but I'm less of a fan of games that are caught in the middle with weak gameplay to support their story focus haphazardly.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Can't wait to give this a go with the patch
Further context: I hadn't heard about it until I Googled it just now, but apparently they're releasing an "Enhanced Edition" of Plague Tale: Innocence on July 6th. 4K UHK, 60 FPS, 3D audio, Xbox Series & PS5. Asobo doesn't mention anything about it being a patch to the existing game rather than a separate SKU, but VG247.com says it's a free upgrade for owners of the Xbox One version; VG247 doesn't mention whether there's a PS4 -> PS5 patch, and they also explicitly say the 4K UHD part is only on Series X.

Last edited:

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
...constantly hating on the weak gameplay mechanics. I'm not a fan of walking sims but I'm less of a fan of games that are caught in the middle with weak gameplay to support their story focus haphazardly.
Weak, or just not your thing? I hate shooters, but that doesn't mean I say they have weak gameplay because the only verb is "shoot". I even noped out of both Titanfall 2 and Spec Ops: The Line, which from everything I'd heard I though I would really like based on the stories and level design, but after about two hours of each I just hated the experience. That doesn't mean I pretend they were weak games that do what they set out to badly; they're just not my kind of game.

Except for the final boss battle, PT:I was without question one of my favorite games of 2019 with what I found to be engaging puzzle & stealth mechanics that made perfect sense for the world and the story.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Further context: I hadn't heard about it until I Googled it just now, but apparently they're releasing an "Enhanced Edition" of Plague Tale: Innocence on July 6th. 4K UHK, 60 FPS, 3D audio, Xbox Series & PS5. Asobo doesn't mention anything about it being a patch to the existing game rather than a separate SKU, but VG247.com says it's a free upgrade for owners of the Xbox One version; VG247 doesn't mention whether there's a PS4 -> PS5 patch, and they also explicitly say the 4K UHD part is only on Series X.
It's Smart delivery, so it could be either on xbox

Dec 6, 2017
US
Weak, or just not your thing? I hate shooters, but that doesn't mean I say they have weak gameplay because the only verb is "shoot". Except for the final boss battle, PT:I was without question one of my favorite games of 2019 with what I found to be engaging puzzle & stealth mechanics that made perfect sense for the world and the story.

The gameplay was extremely flimsy in my opinion and wore thin really quickly. It would've been my thing exactly, as I love stealth games, if it wasn't so stiff and thin mechanically. I wasn't looking for Metal Gear Solid V: Middle Ages but I just didn't like the game feel of any of it.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
I'm planning to start playing this game soon.
For someone who understand both English and French, which is better for this game?