• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just picked this game up after beating Rage 2 and what a wonderful game. So great and makes me forget about the time I wasted playing Rage 2 :P

Looks phenomenal at 4k60 max settings!
Story is great and the voice acting is top notch. also damn what a great soundtrack

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying this game, pretty far right now into it from what I can tell, but what a pleasant surprise this is. The game just oozes atmosphere and the characters and their interactions are well done. Recommend this for anyone that wants a story driven game.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished it. What a wonderful game. I think the storytelling and writing are really outstanding, with characters I loved seeing together, but I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed the gameplay, too. This game has a pretty unique gameplay style, starting with clearly separated stealth and puzzle solving but eventually blending the two together seamlessly, and eventually evolving into full-on offensive combat, and I think it works really well. There are definitely a few points where the stealth becomes a little irritating, and I think they could have toned down enemy awareness levels for one thing (dudes can often spot you if you just poke your head around a corner, and their awareness meters fill up so fast you often don't have time to hide again), but checkpoints are generous and I never got stuck for more than a few minutes at a time.

I'd really recommend it to anyone on the fence. If you really just can't stand stealth or puzzle-solving then it probably won't be for you, but if a really great story mixed with some enjoyable puzzle-solving, stealth and light combat sounds good to you then this game should be right up your alley.

Are Achievements screwed up for anyone else, though? I don't know if they're just broken for me or if it's a widespread issue. Basically I didn't unlock any until mid-way through Chapter 5, where the game randomly popped the ones for finishing Chapters 1, 2 and 3 one after the other, and then I didn't unlock any more for the entire rest of the game. I've finished it now and I still only have those three Achievements on my profile.

Cosmic Guru

Jan 10, 2019
London, UK
I'm on my second play paying closer attention to the details this time around (and still missing the same collectibles!). The clothing, the details of the tapestry in the de Rune house (and the whole recurring tree motif which I think could be the tree you see framed in the door of the chapel if you turn around at the alter), the light coming through the stained glass windows in the church. It's very impressive.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Finally started to play the game, completed first 3 chapters so far, absolutely in love with everything about it, Amicia & Hugo are my children and I gotta protecc.
Also having fun goofing around whenever I can, I loved that goose.

REDACTED

Last edited:

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I have to say, this is one of my favorite games ever. I love everything about it. I'm on chapter XI and counting seconds to go home and play more.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
YEah easily one of the GOTY for me.(with Sekiro and -probably- Life is Strange 2 ).
I think it's also a better game than The Last of US.
The narrative design in A Plague Tale is brillant.
Also the adaptative music is great.(can we talk about that?It's sooo good)
And the ending is perfect.

This game deserves a lot of awards.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to Chapter 13, and the journey this game taken the characters through has been fantastic and surprising. Went in directions I did not expect considering how the story starts.

Hope it finishes strong.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up yesterday. I haven't had a good "weekend game" in a while, and this seems like it'll be perfect for that.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Glad to hear so many people are enjoying this as much as I did playing it for review, it's a real gem. Can't wait to see what the studio end up doing next, there's clearly some incredibly talented people there that have poured a lot of love into this.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that was certainly an interesting development. Probably the most satisfying shift in power since the end of Inside

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last night, took me ~10 hours, not rushing or anything. Overall I thought the game made a good first impression and I really enjoyed my time with it for the first couple hours, but by the time I got to hour 8 I was ready for it to be over. By that point, you've seen most of what the game has to offer in terms of combat and puzzle scenarios, and it feels like we're just treading water and re-using those same scenarios and environments over and over. I think this feeling of unnecessary repetitiveness is exacerbated by the story, which takes some left turns at various points that don't feel narratively justified, and therefore just feel like they were put in to pad the game out. Also, the insta fail combat and stealth scenarios really begin to grind on you in that last hour or two.

Overall I'm glad I played it, and clearly a lot of time, money and effort went into making it. Hopefully the devs can build on what they've done here to make a much stronger game next time.

Last edited:

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up after the great word of mouth it's getting and I'm really enjoying what I've played so far. I'm 3 chapters in, so still pretty early, but I'm definitely impressed. It feels like a breath of fresh air in so many ways. Graphics, story, voice acting, and atmosphere seem fantastic so far. I'm liking Amicia a ton so far as well.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Is it just me or is the French dialect from the English-speaking voice actors really good? In general I find the voice acting really impressive.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
The game was alright.

Visually it's impressive but character models were lacking as well as poor animations and lackluster in-engine cutscenes. It also didn't seem like Asobo even tried to work around some technical complications like Hugo only being able to hold your hand from the right side of your body and magnetizing to that spot if he was separated from the opposite side of you.

The game takes a lot of liberties to move the plot forward with very cliche or bizarre scenarios that typically occur in cutscenes which came across as slapped together. I genuinely find some of these instances egregiously bad to the point of hurting the narrative overall. On a similar note, you can tell where the studio either ran out of time or money because the game's pacing goes into overdrive at a certain point.

All of the side characters are unlikable and lack development. I won't go into further details to avoid spoilers. I should also add that the antagonists are stereotypical villains and just as cliche. I wouldn't even say that Amicia or Hugo undergo some spectacular personal journey either aside from what you'd expect, and the game's commentary surrounding them and some of their actions felt unreasonable or warped.

Yeah, the rats were cool. Quality of VA is inconsistent. Puzzles were beyond easy. Crafting felt unnecessarily shoehorned. All the tools that become available to you are, on one hand, neat, and on another, a bit more to juggle than I would have liked. I'd recommend grabbing the game on sale but of course, that's just my opinion.

Nice first showing from an unproven developer but that doesn't excuse some glaring issues.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
is this an indie game? the graphics look pretty awesome if so
It's from Asobo Studio. If anything, I'd say maybe it's an "AA" and even a borderline AAA studio if we want to toss out descriptions. They've developed or helped develop a number of games over the years like Fuel, The Crew, ReCore, Up, Ratatouille, etc.

They also have over 140 employees (as of 2018) and have had some nice publishing partners from the likes of Focus Home Interactive, to Microsoft, and Disney.

This was their first original game since 2008's Fuel though.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. Game was awesome -- a real awesome mix between a horror game, a puzzle game, and Thief-like stealth mechanics with just enough combat to keep the game intense (and it can be surprisingly hard in moments) and big surprises that elevate the game in ways that will leave a lasting impression. The story has incredible inertia, visuals are sometimes startling and violent but often beautiful, and the characterizations and voice acting are filled with charm and tender moments. The game balances its double-A status wonderfully and always in the favor of fun. Plague Tale reminds me why single player games are amazing and underrepresented.

A huge shoutout to Asobo: you've all made one of the best games of the year without a doubt. I really, really want more in this universe, or at least, more games like this.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's from Asobo Studio. If anything, I'd say maybe it's an "AA" and even a borderline AAA studio if we want to toss out descriptions. They've developed or helped develop a number of games over the years like Fuel, The Crew, ReCore, Up, Ratatouille, etc.

They also have over 140 employees (as of 2018) and have had some nice publishing partners from the likes of Focus Home Interactive, to Microsoft, and Disney.

This was their first original game since 2008's Fuel though.
ah ok thx for details

I was asking because I've literally never heard of Asobo or A Plague Tail until yesterday on ERA

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I have something weird going on with the performances on PC...

I'm running the game with everything maxed out and I am running at around 70 fps average but there is something weirdly stuttery when I turn the camera arround even if the FPS are not actually dropping?

Anybody else seen this and has a solution?

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Holy fuck was chapter one good!! Like crazy good!!! One of the best openers up there with the last is us. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Really good voice acting as well. Glad I decided to pick up this game even though my backlog is huge 😂😂

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I have something weird going on with the performances on PC...

I'm running the game with everything maxed out and I am running at around 70 fps average but there is something weirdly stuttery when I turn the camera arround even if the FPS are not actually dropping?

Anybody else seen this and has a solution?

I recommand that you manually lock your fps to 60 with RTSS.

That shoud get rid of the stutter.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018

They also have over 140 employees (as of 2018) .

yeah but A Plague Tale was developped by a team of 45 people.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How would you guys say this compares to something like Life is Strange Season 1? Would some similar qualities appeal to people who are fans of that game (it was one of my favorite games this gen)?

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda forgot to post here.

I've been enjoying the game, still in chapter 4 now. The game is gorgeous and the stealth is fun. The light and slingshot mechanics are also pretty interesting.

How would you guys say this compares to something like Life is Strange Season 1? Would some similar qualities appeal to people who are fans of that game (it was one of my favorite games this gen)?
Not even remotely similar. This is more akin to The Last of Us, but you're strictly playing as Ellie.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Platinum done. Amazing journey. Anyone else noticed the Dark Souls Easter egg? (or at least I assume it is a Easter egg)

Oct 27, 2017
Asobo is like The Naughty Dog of AA games to me after playing this. Can't imagine what they can do on next gen hardware or with more money or developers.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017

If you like smaller games with a lot of heart and an emphasis on storytelling with slight puzzle mechanics, you could make the connection, although APT is a little deeper on the side of gameplay. Atmosphere-wise, it's totally different but I'm sure that's obvious.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Currently on chapter 4. We have a masterpiece here.
I just finished The Evil Within 2 and it's amazing how this is better in every possible way. Don't get me wrong, I liked TEW2 and recommend it to fans of the genre, but this game is way more polished, looks way better, the controls are tighter, you name it. Considering this was made by 45 people and (correct me if I'm wrong) had a way smaller budget, this is really impressive.
I mean, this game is really, really polished. Just impressive work.
Story is great so far, VA and music are fantastic, art direction is top notch.
This game will definitely be remembered as one of the stand out moments of 2019.
This needs to be high on our goty list, don't let me down Era.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Been hearing great things about this spread and added to my wishlist. I'd grab it now but I'm knee deep in other games, but this sounds like a game I need to experience and support this year.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in love with this game, by far the best of the year so far. It's worth to play it even only to admire its insane level of detail, it's really something else. This is without doubt the work of a very passionate and talented team.

Larkoz

Oct 27, 2017
The sound design in chapter 7 when we find the castle

tenor.gif

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Was liking it a lot until chapter 13 came along. That chapter could've been entirely cut and 14 is the worst so far. Around chapter 10 I was already feeling that the game was stretching itself way too long for how simplistic its gameplay loop is, and these chapters only made it worse for me

Oct 25, 2017
The sound design in chapter 7 when we find the castle

tenor.gif

Yeah, a proper shot out to how amazing this was. Literally awe inspiring.

I have finished the game earlier today, and my god what an amazing experience it was. A huge shout out to some of the best environments I have seen in a game this generation yet. Real talented folk over there, I can't believe how good they nailed this part! A true masters at their craft here. I can't wait to see what they do next.