• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

people

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried a few times to get the captain sidekick trophy but it hasn't worked.

Only need that and the upgrade all equipment for the plat.

Assuming you know in which chapter to get it, after following 'the captain' he would stop in the garden and never moved from his spot. Repeatedly reloading the checkpoint or restarting the game didn't work, so I decided to just move on, because I didn't feel like restarting the chapter and doing all the prior stuff again. Walking through the door he normally shuts down behind him (and getting discovered by the guard) popped the trophy. Not sure how it's actually done properly though, but I imagine following him closely enough to slip through the door with him.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Would you recommend playing with the French or English voice overs?

French dub was really good but for me I was slightly distracted having to read subtitles whilst navigating, quite a bit of dialogue happens whilst you are actually controlling the character.

English dub is solid though, actors have done a great job all round.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I had a good, but relatively short time with it. Short as in ~12 15 hours to complete the game the first time. There's a nice mix of action, stealth and 'co-op puzzles', although the puzzles aren't really that sophisticated. What I liked was the variety in mechanics offered to deal with enemies and/or rats. However, the 'linearity' of the levels doesn't offer/demand that much choice or flexibility in how to go through a scenario. In some of the later chapters, where you'll have most tools available there is some room for 'creativity', but usually there are restrictions on what you can or should use.

I thought most of the mechanics were solid and pretty fun to use, except when trying to stealth around hyper-vigilant guard AI. One time, an alerted guard can literally stand in front of you 'searching' while you're hiding in the tall grass a with bunch of kids, and not find you. Another time, multiple guards will rush straight towards you and kill you after you threw a rock, exactly like you've been taught, onto a metal object to distract them, while you are hiding around a corner. Also, don't underestimate enemy archer accuracy, not even while you are 'in cover' behind crates.

From the games in the OP, the comparison with Hellblade is probably a good one - I don't think it has much in common with GOW at all, except there is a BOY (and a mother) in it. Maybe more like Alan Wake, but without the terrible fashion sense and 'horror'. Also, I haven't played The Last of Us (lol). Anyway, like Hellblade this game is a pretty focused (=linear) and story-driven experience with light puzzle elements, (forced) stealth, some combat and running away from danger. Unlike Hellblade combat can be more varied, puzzles usually involve other 'party members' and the story is more 'adventurous'. I don't actively remember Hellblade's finale but A Plague Tale's is:

IN MY PERSONAL OPINION not a great boss fight or ending scenario. This is also due to the story not being very great either. At first I was intrigued about the origin and nature of the titular plague, because let's be real, 'normal plagues' don't spawn hordes of (remote controllable) rats. So when I learned about how or what, my reaction was: "OK". Maybe I was expecting something more 'grounded in reality', but then again I went in completely blind. Also, I'm not complaining about metaphysical or supernatural elements in my videogames, just not what I had in mind.

In short, In my opinion:

The Good:
- Solid and varied mechanics (if they yield the effect you had in mind)
- Alchemy (crafting ammo) directly tied above mechanics, no superfluous perks system
- Nice 'likeable' cast of characters
- Variety in gameplay (stealth, action, puzzles, etc)
- Nice visual presentation, HDR
- Nice and short

The Not That Great:
- 'Puzzles' not very challenging or interesting
- Although the main character is not 'a chosen one', basically it plays like that kind of story
- The rats are rather gimmicky*
- Chromatic aberration can be annoying
- Forced stealth, with literally no other options available
- "move backwards to escape" lol

*But seriously, the rats are basically 'the darkness' like in Alan Wake or Hellblade, but hilariously silly looking. They mostly just show you were you probably shouldn't go, or that you should do something about them, although that may not be all there is to them. My 'problem' is that I do know they are very dangerous, but they may as well be green or purple goo that I can try to manipulate or avoid.

In conclusion, contrary to Outward I don't regret buying and playing this game "Day1". I think some (of you) might benefit from checking their "Hype levels" (whatever that means), but that may also depend on what games (of the year) they want it to live up to.

EDIT: Adjusted completion time estimate after actual calculation.

15 hours is short? What kind of length were you expecting?
Thanks for the detailed impressions.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
My interest is all in the stealth. Do you have a respectable amount of tools with some genuine space to use them? Do enemies have multiple caution states or is it the simplistic ass shit that's in every other action/adventure game of the past decade?

I'm hoping for a meatier sneaking game, especially given the premise of the game is to make killing come off more meaningful and unsettling.

Cosmic Guru

Jan 10, 2019
London, UK
My interest is all in the stealth. Do you have a respectable amount of tools with some genuine space to use them? Do enemies have multiple caution states or is it the simplistic ass shit that's in every other action/adventure game of the past decade?

I'm hoping for a meatier sneaking game, especially given the premise of the game is to make killing come off more meaningful and unsettling.

I'm up to chapter 7 or 8 and the stealth is fine. Not the most sophisticated model but you have all the necessary tools for distraction or elimination (some being added as you go through) without being able to move bodies or otherwise move things to a higher level. The ubiquitous long grass returns. Not sure whether using the slingshot with an unhelmeted opponents is concussive or lethal but, as always, it quickly becomes a routine, if less stealthy, option.

Nothing much to add to the thread - i'm finding it a very intense experience (using French voices to avoid distraction with accents etc), and often need a break after a chapter. The characters talk to each other a great deal. It's worth taking your time with some of the areas just to get more dialogue with Hugo's experience of the outside world after being confined inside for so long. I like the way you craft things using relevant materials and don't suddenly start banging out swords or armour or other unlikely objects.

The rats are disgusting - a sort of rubbery carpet. If you examine their behaviour too closely with a torch equipped you can see some sort of just vanish without scuttling back into a hole or something like that, but as a swarm they are effective and provide one or two (so far) disturbing moments.

people

Oct 27, 2017
15 hours is short? What kind of length were you expecting?
Thanks for the detailed impressions.
I guess I'm used to playing longer games, 25-30++++ hours, like RPGs, (stealth-)action with open world elements and Yakuza games! I usually don't really pay much attention to time it takes to 'finish the game', also because I'm sort of a completionist so I end up spending much more time anyway. Since this is still pre-release and playtime does matter to some/many as part of the 'value proposition', I figured it would be worth mentioning. Also, to me 'short length' is not a bad thing, that's why I also listed it as positive. Although I think it could have been a bit longer here and there to give you some more opportunity to play and have fun with the different gameplay elements/mechanics.

Re: stealth and tools. Over the course of the game you'll be introduced to a nice variety of tools and gameplay mechanics to handle situations. Not everything will be available to you at all times. Also, most tools aren't actually stealth-related, but some can be used to create distractions. It's all pretty basic about hiding and moving/positioning unnoticed, so no invisiblity, or stealth kills from above for example. Outdoors locations are typically more spacious.

Guards have several states of alertness.
1. Alert. They 'noticed something'. (White meter) You probably moved in their field of vision briefly or (deliberately) caused a sound to distract/attract them. They may either interrupt what they were doing (moving, talking) and continue afterwards, or 'investigate'. This depends on how far the meter is filled and if they actually saw you.
2. Alarm. They 'know something is wrong'. (Red meter) You directly attacked them or exposed yourself long enough, or they found the body of a guard you took out earlier. This will cause all or most guards in the immediate area to actively start 'searching'. In most cases they will just start looking around, while their alertness level gradually drops down to white and eventually they will return to their normal positions. During this search routine they are more vigilant and will be more likely to notice/locate you if you perform provocative actions.

This is how I think it's supposed to work. However, often/sometimes guards will head straight to where you are hiding after being alerted by a distraction. Other times a group of alarmed (red) guards can stand practically next to you 'searching' for you where you and your group are hiding.

Last edited:

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
15 hours for the first playthrough is much more than I´ve expected. Can`t wait!

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
Assuming you know in which chapter to get it, after following 'the captain' he would stop in the garden and never moved from his spot. Repeatedly reloading the checkpoint or restarting the game didn't work, so I decided to just move on, because I didn't feel like restarting the chapter and doing all the prior stuff again. Walking through the door he normally shuts down behind him (and getting discovered by the guard) popped the trophy. Not sure how it's actually done properly though, but I imagine following him closely enough to slip through the door with him.
Cheers for these details, I've passed them on to our Production department to take a look for first patch.

Launch trailer, if y'all didn't see it yet:

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Cheers for these details, I've passed them on to our Production department to take a look for first patch.

Launch trailer, if y'all didn't see it yet:

Yesssss oh wow such a beautiful trailer!

So, hopefully, I should be getting the game tonight (along with the new poster and postcard, I might post about the cute merchandise we got as soon as I can -meaning after the 14th), which means I might start to play! Or just wait for tomorrow (the 14th) as well, especially if I want to share screenshots and videos (which I most likely will). Anyway, all that to say that the hype train is going full speed right now!

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Just got the platinum.

Enjoyed it. Just when you might starting getting bored of doing one thing it'll change it up. And it went in a completely different direction to what I thought it would when I started.

Loads of collectables with some hidden really well, so you'll have to check everywhere. I didn't manage to upgrade everything in one play through and it doesn't seem to have a new game plus. So I'm not sure if you can or if you need to look even harder than you do for the collectables.

Thanks. I did exactly that and got it in the same place.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Alright, I gave in a pre-ordered. I loved Hellblade and I love these kinds of short, narrative-driven games.

At 10-12 hours, it's a game I can reasonably see myself actually beating, lol.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Gonna pick it up tomorrow. I am in the mood for a 10~hour story game with an interesring setting and the impressions sound good so far.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
The game is butter smooth on ps4 pro. The game Been out in the wild in New York for days.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I've only just played the first 2 chapters but I really like it, it's pretty good, controls well and looks amazing, love the artsyle, the lighting, it's a brilliant looking game.

ZU7NEfD.gif

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't need to add another game to the backlog, but this one definitely has my attention.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Just played the first chapter, will start again with my wife in the next days.
I'm really impressed to be honest. Didn't expect such a polished experience. And it looks absolutely stunning on PS4 pro!

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I just saw this on Youtube. How the hell I was not aware of this game till now? It looks so good.