• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
That doesn't seem right
How you feel is irrelevant
, it's just an .exe, you don't have to provide anything to play it.
Unless I'm missing something, or i mistakenly didn't download the right thing.
Some people are distributing the .exe. That's that people's problem. The devs only intended to distribute the source code with no assets and you have to compile it using the assets from a ROM you provide yourself.

URDE is a Metroid Prime PC port that includes no assets and has been publicly in development for years with no legal issues. I can package URDE + the Prime assets ready to play and upload it here. That doesn't make URDE illegal, it's ME who is doing something illegal in that case. Same concept.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That doesn't seem right, it's just an .exe, you don't have to provide anything to play it.

The exe thats been making rounds is a build of the port somebody compiled and distributed, the port itself has nothing to do with Nintendo. The assets in this exe is Nintendo´s property tho'.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
That doesn't seem right, it's just an .exe, you don't have to provide anything to play it.
I think there's a version floating around that is already compiled, including the copyrighted game files. Obviously the legality of this port doesn't extend that far. Nintendo can and will take down those compiled ports. For it to be legal you have to compile it using your own version.

Hopefully the devs make it easier at some stage. For example the unofficial Doom 64 PC port came with an EXE and a tool that ripped the files from your provided ROM. Very easy and also legal.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How you feel is irrelevant

Some people are distributing the .exe. That's that people's problem. The devs only intended to distribute the source code with no assets and you have to compile it using the assets from a ROM you provide yourself.

URDE is a Metroid Prime PC port that includes no assets and has been publicly in development for years with no legal issues. I can package URDE + the Prime assets ready to play and upload it here. That doesn't make URDE illegal, it's ME who is doing something illegal in that case. Same concept.

That just means I downloaded the wrong thing then. You should relax a bit.

The exe thats been making rounds is a build of the port somebody compiled and distributed, the port itself has nothing to do with Nintendo. The assets in this exe is Nintendo´s property tho'.
The EXE is the "illegal" one, as it includes everything. The actual code released by the Dev does not contain any Nintendo assets iirc
I think there's a version floating around that is already compiled, including the copyrighted game files. Obviously the legality of this port doesn't extend that far. Nintendo can and will take down those compiled ports. For it to be legal you have to compile it using your own version.

Alright thanks, I can't find the regular patch file though, do you have any link to share?

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
That just means I downloaded the wrong thing then. You should relax a bit.

Alright thanks, I can't find the regular patch file though, do you have any link to share?
Source code for the OpenGL version:

sm64pc-sdl.7z - AnonFiles

Source code for the DX12 version:
Pastebin that explains how to compile it:
pastebin.com

how to build the super mario 64 pc port# Before Building* get the sm64 US - Pastebin.com

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017

Someone stole my picture. :( EDIT: nvm he linked it in a follow up tweet. Thanks man. :)

This is wild... 32:9

wOHdbA1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Okay this is getting insane, can a mod add a warning to the OP about not allowing implying that this port is illegal when it isn't?
The port, as in "the binaries people are downloading to play the game" is definitely illegal, though.

The port, as in "the source code of the PC port of the fan reverse-engineered source code to Super Mario 64", is not illegal.

When people are saying "this will get C&D'd", we don't know which one they mean.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, conflating homebrew with piracy
The port, as in "the binaries people are downloading to play the game" is definitely illegal, though.
I know, right? lol... How does one even legally obtain an N64 rom?

Like 99% will just download the exe while the rest build it themselves with a rom they downloaded.

Either way, all the wink wink and technicalities don't even matter. Knowing Nintendo, they'll take as much action as they can, but it's futile. As useless as trying to stop people from downloading roms.

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to see what people do with it.

PBR textures for RayTracing support would be amazing.
High-framerate support would be amazing

Maybe multiplayer is doable? It will be fun to see.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Can't wait to see what people do with it.

PBR textures for RayTracing support would be amazing.
High-framerate support would be amazing

Maybe multiplayer is doable? It will be fun to see.
There is already both a local multiplayer and an online multiplayer mod for the N64 version so rest assured it WILL happen!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Like 99% will just download the exe while the rest build it themselves with a rom they downloaded.

Either way, all the wink wink and technicalities don't even matter. Knowing Nintendo, they'll take as much action as they can, but it's futile. As useless as trying to stop people from downloading roms.
If you don't have a cartridge dumper there are other options.

With a modded Wii it's pretty easy to extract a ROM from an N64 game you bought on Virtual Console for example.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

- N64 cartridge to USB adapter (stupid easy, requires cheap hardware purchase)
- Dumping the .wad from the Wii VC and extracting the ROM from there (stupid easy, requires no extra purchases)
- Same for Wii U VC I think

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know about this, but that wasn't my point. DOZENS are probably doing it that way.

No need for the charade since there's nothing Nintendo can do to stop this.
what charade, I literally have my retrode sitting next to me on this desk. I've also dumped VC titles before, even injected my own. you'll find that a lot of people from the retro-gaming camp own such hardware.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what charade, I literally have my retrode sitting next to me on this desk. I've also dumped VC titles before, even injected my own. you'll find that a lot of people from the retro-gaming camp own such hardware.
No offense to you, just talking generally.

This just became the most accessible version of the game overnight. Not only that, but the best way to play it depending on your setup. Nintendo might as well just port it to mobile for free. lol

Oct 29, 2017
Never compiled anything before, but I just dumped all my Wii wads recently so I took my SM64 rom and gave it a whirl.

I'm playing on my Macbook Air, and this is amazing. I'm salivating at the thought of both Zeldas playing and looking as good as this game does.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
absolutely loving this, and the possibilities it brings to the table. this is so cool

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay this is getting insane, can a mod add a warning to the OP about not allowing implying that this port is illegal when it isn't?

Btw, if this is gonna be taken down, then Wine, a Windows reimplementation, would have been taken down decades ago ;)

Some users would have their mind blown if they known that, for example, classic Doom is mainly played through sourceports nowadays, even for speedrunning.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Some users would have their mind blown if they known that, for example, classic Doom is mainly played through sourceports nowadays, even for speedrunning.
Yeah but Doom was made officially open source by the devs so people don't go around screaming about how it's illegal.

OpenJK for Jedi Knight, URDE for Metroid Prime etc are better examples.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The port, as in "the source code of the PC port of the fan reverse-engineered source code to Super Mario 64", is not illegal.

When people are saying "this will get C&D'd", we don't know which one they mean.
Given how people were saying this about URDE, and the assembly decompilation. I think we have an idea.

Awareness of source ports, or just general awareness of anything outside of things explicitly supported by Nintendo, is just really bad on here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sigh if only it was for Paper Mario. I'll wait for the hopefully rumored switch port on this

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
So lost on how to recompile. Getting nothing but errors following the instructions. Can someone post a step by step guide?

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I got it running but is it really just a simple exe with no adjustable settings? I guess it just defaults to whatever resolution Windows is set to? Is it possible to increase the FPS?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I got it running but is it really just a simple exe with no adjustable settings? I guess it just defaults to whatever resolution Windows is set to? Is it possible to increase the FPS?
fps is being worked by another person within the decompile project, iirc. right now, only option we have is that the exe creates an ini file, where you can change, depending on the version(opengl or dx12) some stuff, like input mapping and if it's true fullscreen or not.

Dec 20, 2017
Source code for the OpenGL version:

sm64pc-sdl.7z - AnonFiles

Source code for the DX12 version:
Pastebin that explains how to compile it:
pastebin.com

how to build the super mario 64 pc port# Before Building* get the sm64 US - Pastebin.com

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Can I just rename an .n64 to a .z64 or do i need special tools for that?

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
What version are you trying to compile?
Copy pasting your terminal window errors would help.

I am using the readme. I installed linux via the build in powershell command. In the instructions I only see one command. When I try to run that it says the command can't be found. Like I I said a step by step guide with pictures is really needed. Or a video.

Dec 20, 2017
Getting an error at this step. Everything before it seems to run smoothly.

$ pacman -S git make auto{make,conf} libtool python3 gcc \ mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc mingw-w64-x86_64-SDL2 mingw-w64-pkg-config
error: target not found: mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc
error: target not found: mingw-w64-pkg-config

Feel like im doing something wrong at the line break "\" but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

Oct 28, 2017
I am using the readme. I installed linux via the build in powershell command. In the instructions I only see one command. When I try to run that it says the command can't be found. Like I I said a step by step guide with pictures is really needed. Or a video.
Sounds like a windows thing, what command are you trying?

$ pacman -S git make auto{make,conf} libtool python3 gcc \ mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc mingw-w64-x86_64-SDL2 mingw-w64-pkg-config

Feel like im doing something wrong at the line break "\" but for the life of me I can't figure out what.
Did you try removing the space after?
Well, what if it's Brian, the non-moustached jumping guy?

But I guess the level design would still be a copyrighted thing.
I'm not sure if you could sell Brain, it's a very big question mark since the mechanics are 1:1 and in this case from a decompile. Even if you recreated completely clean room and it felt like Mario 64, I really don't know if you could sell it. Mario64 with different assets that is not being sold, I don't think you'd have any issues.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019

mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc works for me but I have the same error with mingw-w64-pkg-config.

I've tried doing it sequentially:
$ pacman -S git make auto{make,conf} libtool python3 gcc \
>mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc

works

>mingw-w64-x86_64-SDL2

works

>mingw-w64-pkg-config

fails

No need to say the rest of the command are useless as I'm getting multiple errors starting here:

CC=x86_64-pc-msys-gcc CXX=x86_64-pc-msys-g++ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/

Oct 28, 2017
mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc works for me but I have the same error with mingw-w64-pkg-config.

I've tried doing it sequentially:
$ pacman -S git make auto{make,conf} libtool python3 gcc \
>mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc

works

>mingw-w64-x86_64-SDL2

works

>mingw-w64-pkg-config

fails

No need to say the rest of the command are useless as I'm getting multiple errors starting here:

CC=x86_64-pc-msys-gcc CXX=x86_64-pc-msys-g++ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/
What does the error say?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Yeah but Doom was made officially open source by the devs so people don't go around screaming about how it's illegal.

OpenJK for Jedi Knight, URDE for Metroid Prime etc are better examples.

I was rather excited thinking OpenJK was for Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, when a quick google search leads me to information about Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast.

Fuck. I miss DF2.

Alaxend0l

Dec 6, 2017
So basically, if I'm getting this right, this is to Mario 64 like Cannonball is to Outrun? That's absolutely incredible!

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I read that on console because of the input lag you could press the button before you touch the ground, while on this port you can't. Try to press the buton a bit *after* you touch the ground, instead of a bit before.

Wow this makes a lot of sense, haha. I noticed the timing felt "off" and that it worked if I adjusted to hit the button later than I wanted to but didn't really make that connection.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I noticed something that might be a bug?

If you do a side somersault and then a ground pound, Mario's orientation faces the wrong way while falling, but corrects when he lands.