• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Any significant differences between the DirectX12 and OpenGL versions?
The OpenGL seems cap itself to 30 FPS properly even on high refresh rate monitors, but it doesn't seem to support fullscreen, unlike the DX12 version. Also, the OpenGL version has a custom intro text saying "Super Mario 64 PC" which leads me to believe it's newer code.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Well I beat Mario 64 on PC. 55 stars and for the first time in my life got the rapid backwards long jump on the infinite stairway to work.

This thing's a monumental achievement. I love it.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the chances somebody takes this and implements full pathtracing to give us RTX Metal Mario?

Qzzx65d.jpg

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Finally had some time to give it a spin, having never messed with ROMs or anything (I only say this because I know this was already possible) but playing 16:9 with a Pro Controller in hand feels incredible.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I'm thinking I may have to try this out.
I have WSL with ubuntu already installed so I'm half way there.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I wonder how the music is handled in this port. It sounds pretty similar to the original but the original version used the custom N64 sound chip for playback. I'm sure they didn't go with streaming audio because the exe file is too small. Perhaps this aspect is being emulated or maybe it was also meticulously reversed engineered?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Playing this on an ultrawide with an Xbox controller is surreal. 60+ FPS and an unlocked camera is certainly on the way, right?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Nice, I've been wanting to replay this but didn't want to deal with the framey, blurry N64 version or the DS version with it's poor controls. This looks to be the current best way to play, in 1440p with a XBO controller.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm understanding correctly, it's technically not Mario 64 but a "knockoff" for lack of a better word? Like Bario 62 or some shit.
It is instruction set on how to take apart the ROM you supply and make into into a native PC App. No different in legality than an emulator.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Is the hit detection broken or something with the controls? Trying to grab the first boss on top of the mountain and it's ridiculous. I don't remember it like this.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
This gotta be one of the greatest games of all time. Only the galaxy games compare

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm obviously a complete idiot, because after downloading the "sm64pc_src" and "sm64pc-sdl" and seeing on here that the Readme.md inside these are out of date, regardless of trying to compile a DirectX12 or OpenGL version, there's no apparent other instructions to follow anywhere.

Not a coder, I need step-by-step stuff a child could follow.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how the music is handled in this port. It sounds pretty similar to the original but the original version used the custom N64 sound chip for playback. I'm sure they didn't go with streaming audio because the exe file is too small. Perhaps this aspect is being emulated or maybe it was also meticulously reversed engineered?

The N64 doesn't have a sound chip, it relies on software to create sound.

Also, the whole rom was meticulously reverse engineered. That's how this PC port is possible

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
ALm0kfH.jpg

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Maybe it's just my old man reflexes, but I can swear the timing for the jumping is weird. I don't remember the timing for a second and third jump being *that* exact.
I read that on console because of the input lag you could press the button before you touch the ground, while on this port you can't. Try to press the buton a bit *after* you touch the ground, instead of a bit before.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Maybe it's just my old man reflexes, but I can swear the timing for the jumping is weird. I don't remember the timing for a second and third jump being *that* exact.
It's just cause the console has input lag that it lets you do it easier but the pc port doesn't.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Any footage of Bowser's sub? I'm curious to see how it performs in this port.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to the Metroid Prime source port being completed. I think I still have a copy of my disc on a hard drive somewhere around here.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
For anyone curious about the smoke :p

image.png

Looks like it's the original, non-fixed version

As far as I could tell that section seemed to stay at a stable 30fps!

Honestly, in general don't think I've really noticed any fps drops. Although I did encounter a slight hitch entering the secret slide area, that may have been from me trying 8k downsampling

Another performance related improvement; Mario no longer seems to turn into his terrifying low poly version when the camera's far away (ie the one on the right below)

EHa-WNXi-Xk-AInf-Rj.jpg

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
the entire game runs at a completely locked 30 FPS, no exceptions. I doubt you can make it drop below 30 FPS unless you, like, only enable 1 CPU core and underclock it to like 200 MHz, but at that point you can't even run windows lol

The game uses 2% of my CPU and 3% of my GPU. And tbh it's probably Windows what is actually using the majority of that %.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
A fan made port is not a port to me
A officially licensed release by Nintendo is a port to PC

This is something that will just be taken down.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017

It's by definition a port, just not an official one. Nintendo doesn't have grounds to take it down, and it's not illegal for people to download and use it, as no copyright code is being distributed. You need to provide your own ROM to play it.

What's really sad is after all these years it took fans to create a smooth, modern port of Mario 64. Not counting that awful DS version.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Okay this is getting insane, can a mod add a warning to the OP about not allowing implying that this port is illegal when it isn't?

Btw, if this is gonna be taken down, then Wine, a Windows reimplementation, would have been taken down decades ago ;)

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and it's not illegal for people to download and use it, as no copyright code is being distributed. You need to provide your own ROM to play it.

That doesn't seem right, it's just an .exe, you don't have to provide anything to play it.
Unless I'm missing something, or i mistakenly didn't download the right thing.