• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Out of nowhere? The recompiling project was known for a while.

Speculating that it used stolen source code is really irresponsible.
What did you expect from journalists lol

"Since a lot of stuff leaked from Nintendo some days ago, clearly some dude made a full port of Mario 64 in like two days from that leak, despite the fact that the Mario 64 source code isn't even part of the leak. Clearly it's related to that and not the completely legal reimplementation that has been sitting on GitHub for a year. Hell yes. I'm so smart"

Nov 14, 2017
Emulators also get made by reverse engineering the consoles, and emulators have been proven legal in court already. It's new code made with the help of reverse engineering the ROM.
I'd be careful about drawing comparisons. Courts in the USA have found the reverse-engineering for purposes of interoperability is fair use in certain circumstances, but there are also other circumstances where it has been found infringing. It really depends upon the facts of how the development occured.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is wild... 32:9

wOHdbA1.jpg
It's beautiful.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He means switching the monitor from 144 Hz to 60 Hz. He might think they got the game running at 144 FPS first and then at 60 FPS, but that's not the case. When you run your monitor at more than 60 Hz the game won't cap to 30 FPS and will cap to 60 instead, running at double speed. If you set the monitor to 60 Hz it will cap to 30 FPS correctly. A workaround (and what I'm doing) is to just cap the game 30 FPS via the Nvidia Control Panel or RivaTuner, that makes the game run at 30 FPS properly without having to change the refresh rate of your monitor.

That's exactly what I did (Switched my monitor to 60 FPS via the Windows Monitor Properties); didn't realise that's what was making the 30FPS limit work but it makes sense now.

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
It has higher poly models and different (improved?) textures, but runs at lower resolution on the DS. It's by most metrics the better looking version, but it's not as clean as the original, and doesn't quite carry the same charm to me.
Fun fact, the polygon count is actually lower on the DS version.

Mario's Model:
N64: 752 Tris
DS: 636

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
DS version just doesn't look right, though. Doesn't have the same feel as the original. This version will probably scratch my itch, seeing as we don't know what Nintendo themselves will be doing with it. I just want the resolution bump, I don't want them to change a thing otherwise.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
DS version just doesn't look right, though. Doesn't have the same feel as the original. This version will probably scratch my itch, seeing as we don't know what Nintendo themselves will be doing with it. I just want the resolution bump, I don't want them to change a thing otherwise.
This is exactly what you want, then. Exactly the same game with zero changes, but runs at any resolution and any aspect ratio :)

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, the polygon count is actually lower on the DS version.

Mario's Model:
N64: 752 Tris
DS: 636
Huh, interesting. The model must be a little better put together I guess. Do you know if Yoshi and Bowser had increases? I'd be really surprised if they weren't higher than the N64 counterparts.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
How are people changing the resolution? I was able to force AA and better texture filtering with nVidia control panel but I don't know how to get higher res

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
How are people changing the resolution? I was able to force AA and better texture filtering with nVidia control panel but I don't know how to get higher res
You need to have screen monitor that supports those ultra high resolutions, and then a beefy graphics card that supports this resolution and refresh rates, and then crank it up to 11.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
You need to have screen monitor that supports those ultra high resolutions, and then a beefy graphics card that supports this resolution and refresh rates, and then crank it up to 11.
I have both of those things and it's still running at like 720p and changing fullscreen from false to true in the config did nothing

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Huh, interesting. The model must be a little better put together I guess. Do you know if Yoshi and Bowser had increases? I'd be really surprised if they weren't higher than the N64 counterparts.
The modeling is just done differently. On the N64, it looks like they hadn't figured out the ideal way to model characters and you can see the lumpy body components Mario is made out of. Later on, as is now the standard, characters with the assumption it will animate on a skeleton. It's something like that. Maybe my explanation is a bit off.
Basically, Mario doesn't have modeled fingers on the DS version, but has lumpy body blocks and almost no textures on the 64 version.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not sure "people just created an executable with the leaked source code" counts as "out of nowhere"

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
not sure "people just created an executable with the leaked source code" counts as "out of nowhere"
Why do you feel the need to be snarky about stuff you've got no idea about?

This is based on the completely legal source code reimplementation that has been sitting on github for around a year:
github.com

GitHub - n64decomp/sm64: A Super Mario 64 decompilation, brought to you by a bunch of clever folks.

A Super Mario 64 decompilation, brought to you by a bunch of clever folks. - n64decomp/sm64

So no, a guy hasn't ported Mario 64 to Windows with a DirectX12 renderer in like two days from a leak that doesn't even include the Mario 64 source code. Try again.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hm... Could someone theoretically mod this to switch models/textures/etc.? If so, someone could create a legit "Mario 64 HD" that played identically in every way to the original game.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Hmm I suppose trying the below in your config might help? This is for mario kart so this might be a little weird.

Code:
#define DOF_METHOD            2    //[1 to 4] 1: Ring DOF(Petka/martinsh) 2: Magic DOF 3: GP65CJ042 DOF 4: Matso DOF
#define DOF_FOCUSPOINT             float2(0.5,0.65)    //[0.0 to 1.0] Screen coordinates of focus point. First value is horizontal, second value is vertical position. 0 is left/upper, 1 is right/lower.
#define DOF_NEARBLURCURVE         10.0    //[0.4 to X] Power of blur of closer-than-focus areas.
#define DOF_FARBLURCURVE         0.5    //[0.4 to X] Elementary, my dear Watson: Blur power of areas behind focus plane.
#define DOF_BLURRADIUS             15.0    //[5.0 to 50.0] Blur radius approximately in pixels. Radius, not diameter.
#define DOF_MANUALFOCUS           1    //[0 or 1] Enables manual focus.     
#define DOF_MANUALFOCUSDEPTH         0.1    //[0.0 to 1.0] Manual focus depth. 0.0 means camera is focus plane, 1.0 means sky is focus plane.

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Bowser's 64 Tri count is 1002, I couldn't find the tri count for the DS version but I imagine it's not too far off the 64 version, they got a lot better at doing the character models by that point.

Comparison of the various Mario models here: https://youtu.be/A2gXyEyy_2U?t=510

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Depends. Have the assets been converted or does it just work with the original data? If it works with the original data and it's not included, it's fine. If they include a converter, but not the original data it's fine too.
This port hasn't been released yet. Someone leaked it. The leaker uploaded both the source code with no assets, and a compiled .exe with the assets. Obviously the leaker infringed copyright by also releasing the .exe with the assets included, but that's not the devs fault.

Oct 28, 2017
How do you configure the controls?
Start the application file so it creates the necessary files.
Go to the sm64config file you will see:

fullscreen false
key_a 38
key_b 51
key_start 57
key_r 54
key_z 37
key_cup 328
key_cdown 336
key_cleft 331
key_cright 333
key_stickup 17
key_stickdown 31
key_stickleft 30
key_stickright 32

It doesn't look like ascii I'll figure out how the values are encoded.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Start the application file so it creates the necessary files.
Go to the sm64config file you will see:

fullscreen false
key_a 38
key_b 51
key_start 57
key_r 54
key_z 37
key_cup 328
key_cdown 336
key_cleft 331
key_cright 333
key_stickup 17
key_stickdown 31
key_stickleft 30
key_stickright 32

It doesn't look like ascii I'll figure out how the values are encoded.
That's for keyboard controls, but I doubt anyone is seriously playing this with a keyboard, lol. In order to configure the gamepad controls, Steam Input is the best way to do it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
So is this one of those things where the source port by itself doesn't actually contain the game, like Doom 64 EX?

Yeah. You just need a copy of the ROM.

Hm... Could someone theoretically mod this to switch models/textures/etc.? If so, someone could create a legit "Mario 64 HD" that played identically in every way to the original game.

Probably. Texture packs already made for emulators probably just need to be converted to work with this. Not an expert on that though so take it with a grain of salt.

Oct 28, 2017
That's for keyboard controls, but I doubt anyone is seriously playing this with a keyboard, lol. In order to configure the gamepad controls, Steam Input is the best way to do it.
I am, lol. I've played the game with keyboard before it's forgiving enough that it's not an awful experience. Mind you an actual controller is an infinitely better experience. I agree with you though, use Steam Input.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm testing the port now and man, Mario 64 is a damn fine 24 years old video game...

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I can't figure out how to make it widescreen 16:9. It starts 4:3 by default here.

Edit- figure it out. need to resize the window manually.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've been reading that the build that is currently out is from an older, less optimized version and that's the developer has released the newest executable to compile a better build and is probably going to stop working on the project since it leaked.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I've just rgb modded an ntsc n64 to play this again, but am going to hold fire until I see the switch remaster.

I did the same last year and still think the N64 is the best place to play it. If you have a flash cart there are two patches that fix a couple of bugs. The first actually makes a big frame rate difference in some areas and the second fixes the smoke bug.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I've been reading that the build that is currently out is from an older, less optimized version and that's the developer has released the newest executable to compile a better build and is probably going to stop working on the project since it leaked.
Where did you get this information?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If this is true it makes sense. Reverse engineer or no, this build is still using Nintendo assets. No bueno.

But I'm going to need some sauce on his statements regardless

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was just posting what I was reading on other forums, but the source I was given was the Discord Chatroom of the developers. I'll link any further findings if I stumble upon them.