• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just tell people how to dump the assets from a legit copy, like with GZDoom.
Oh right. Gotcha.

This is also wrong... You distribute clean room source code, then rely on the person who's compiling to produce the assets via their own rom dump.

The Jedi Knight games source code was released the same way, though with the creators blessings.
Yeah, I see now. The GZDoom example helped me understand.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is this really out of nowhere? I mean the decomp project has been going on for a while.

Anyways, it would be nice if Nintendo put this kind of time into remasters instead of putting their effort into litigation of fan projects.
They haven't done anything to the decompilation project, and they will do nothing to this PC port either, since they can't. The decompilation project is still sitting happily in Github, and will continue to be there, since it's completely legal, just like this PC port.

github.com

GitHub - n64decomp/sm64: A Super Mario 64 decompilation, brought to you by a bunch of clever folks.

A Super Mario 64 decompilation, brought to you by a bunch of clever folks. - n64decomp/sm64

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
Any way I can play this with a Switch pro controller? It's only recognizing my Xbox controller
Have you tried launching the game from Steam? The port supports Xinput controllers and not DirectInput (which is what the Pro Controller defaults to when connected on PC). Otherwise a DirectInput to Xinput mapper would probably work.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it does. It's a reimplementation. URDE is a Metroid Prime reimplementation, and they distribute it with NO assets, you have to provide your Metroid Prime assets yourself. After you do that, you can have Metroid Prime running natively on your PC. This is the same thing. Reimplementations are a common thing in gaming and are 100% legal. There's also a Jedi Outcast reimplementation that allows you to run the game at high resolutions and such, for example. Again, no assets included. You provide the assets yourself. 100% legal.

This it the same thing. Again, what has LEAKED is both the source code with NO assets, and a compiled .exe with all the assets. The fact that a compiled .exe with assets has leaked, I repeat, doesn't mean that the developerrs wanted to distribute the game that way, since it's a LEAK.
i stand corrected, i assumed it was just an exe you can download to play the game. if it requires the rom to extract the assets, yeah it's fully legal.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
They are already doing that.

Look at my previous post, I linked to the source code of the game. It includes no assets, you have to provide them yourself in order to compile the game.

The leaked compiled .exe is clearly not what the devs inteded to release and distribute.
I know, I was just responding to people saying there is no way this is legal.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
i stand corrected, i assumed it was just an exe you can download to play the game. if it requires the rom to extract the assets, yeah it's fully legal.
One of the things that has leaked is, as you say, an .exe. But again, that's clearly not what the devs meant to release. I mean, I can take URDE (the Metroid Prime PC port) right now, put the assets in there, create a .zip that includes URDE and the assets, and distribute it. That doesn't make URDE illegal, it would be me who is doing something illegal by distributing URDE + the assets, not the devs. Same thing here: yes, the .exe going around is technically illegal, but that's not what the devs inteded to release, so the devs haven't done anything wrong.

Remember you can download the source code for the PC port completely legally right now! You can compile it yourself by providing the assets.

anonymousfiles.io - anonymousfiles Resources and Information.

anonymousfiles.io is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, anonymousfiles.io has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
it's not made from any recent leak, it's made using the recent effort to decompile the game and reverse engineer its code.
People are getting confused because someone leaked this port from whoever made it right at the same time as the Nintendo leaks happened.

This is a leak, from someone somewhere who developed the port. But it's a completely separate leak to the Nintendo one, it has nothing to do with that. Probably a playtester who couldn't resist the temptation to share the port.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Oh ok, so Ubisoft can just go make their own Zelda BOTW because they reverse engineered the code?
If Ubisoft really really wanted to, they could totally reverse engineer the code and create their own code that does the exact same thing, yes. But without assets, it'd be useless, and they can't distribute the assets, so why would they do that? Not to mention they'd be creating bad blood with Nintendo for no reason?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On another note, was the DS version supposed to be better looking or worse? What's the consensus among gamers?

I don't know much about the technical aspects of gaming.
It has higher poly models and different (improved?) textures, but runs at lower resolution on the DS. It's by most metrics the better looking version, but it's not as clean as the original, and doesn't quite carry the same charm to me.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
It has higher poly models and different (improved?) textures, but runs at lower resolution on the DS. It's by most metrics the better looking version, but it's not as clean as the original, and doesn't quite carry the same charm to me.

I agree with you, the game just looks off to me.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Cool stuff. Always nice to see these cool projects. Should be 100% legal as well, so luckily Nintendo can't touch it even if they wanted to.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible to run the rom through emulator at 60 fps with correct physics so I hope those devs can make that happen too.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
it's literally Mario 64.
edit: talking about the end-product here, not the rev code
But why talk about the end product when the devs clearly didn't mean to distribute the end product since this is a leak?

If this hadn't leaked and they had been able to distribute it at their own pace, they would have done the same thing as URDE (metroid prime pc port): Distribute it with NO assets and include a tool that imports the assets from the original ROM.

Again, you can download this port legally right now by downloading the source code, providing the assets from your own ROM, and compiling it yourself.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
By the time Nintendo comes out with their rumored "big" announcements of all these old school ports for Switch these guys will have every one of them and more already.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it illegal to ask for a link here? I do still own my original N64 cart and the Wii VC release

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Nintendo's lawyers right now:

giphy.gif

File-sharing/torrent sites:

giphy.gif

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
All jokes aside, I have no idea how to configure ReShade, that was just turning EVERYTHING on for the memes. I have to investigate this a bit

OP
OP
RoboitoAM

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Is it illegal to ask for a link here? I do still own my original N64 cart and the Wii VC release
Somebody posted the compiler or whatever tool it was, no links to any .exe will be provided here. But the tool is available for all to use.

Since people are here: how's the Metroid Prime source port going?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If anybody is wondering the link can be found in the cesspool, truth be told I want wait and see if this is legit before running

EDIT by legit I meant not some crazy trojan

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yes it does, as many other engine reimplementations during last 20 years.

Tell that to Sega who took down Streets of Rage Remake which uses no code from the Genesis games and it's entire engine was created entirely from the ground up.

It's not not much different then what Christian Whitehead did something similar.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Tell that to Sega who took down Streets of Rage Remake which uses no code from the Genesis games and it's entire engine was created entirely from the ground up.

It's not not much different then what Christian Whitehead did something similar.
fwiw, they took that down because there was money involved, not because it was a fan project

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
That's debatable in this instance. If it were clean room reverse engineered then you'd have a point but, in this case, the code was reverse engineered by decompiling the rom (which is itself copyrighted code). If it went to court, I'd put my money on Nintendo.
Emulators also get made by reverse engineering the consoles, and emulators have been proven legal in court already. It's new code made with the help of reverse engineering the ROM.