• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/a-full-mario-64-pc-port-has-been-released/

Mario-64-PC-2.jpg

The fan-made port, which was first shared on social media sites this weekend, was made possible by a 2019 recompilation project which saw fans reverse engineer the game's source code.

Unknown if this is related to recent hacks but I also wouldn't be shocked. Port runs in DirectX 12 and supports native 4k and widescreen

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's written in the sentence you quote that it's not due to recent hack but thanks to fans reverse engineering the code since last year.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Can it legally be taken down if they refactored everything and replaced all of the assets?

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
Can it legally be taken down if they refactored everything and replaced all of the assets?
I don't think they've replaced the assets, last time I checked you needed the original rom file to compile.

The reversed source code on github should be legal, the final .exe on the other hand, isn't.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of wild. The results are unappealing to me in the same way that emulating the game in higher resolutions is, but I understand this being a neat technical exercise.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This should just be step one. Step two should be trying to unlock animations from gameplay so we can get some sweet 60+fps action.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if Nintendo wants to C&D this, it's out in the wild now, just like AM2R, it's already too late.

Good. That's why people must not 'tease' such a project in it's infancy, release it and then let god do its work lol.

Gimme 60fps Mario 64 now.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Definitely not out of nowhere? This was posted on same place all the other nintendo leaks were being posted about 1-2 days ago, but very much source of this leaked along side it.

Last edited:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This looks amazing and the team that did this remaster should be commended. Truly remarkable.

Now the real question is did they fix the smoke?

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Had a chance to play some of it last night and it's pretty amazing for what it is. It's been a while since I played 64 (Since the Wii Virtual Console), but playing it at 2K resolution was very neat.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I'll change my mind if the rumored Switch version is a full on remake, but to me, the polygonal look of Mario 64 feels crucial to its identity, and seeing cleaned up versions, even the DS version, feels uncanny.

On another note, was the DS version supposed to be better looking or worse? What's the consensus among gamers?

I don't know much about the technical aspects of gaming.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Maybe it's just my old man reflexes, but I can swear the timing for the jumping is weird. I don't remember the timing for a second and third jump being *that* exact.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Getting a native exe for PC sounds fun, but when the only work left is retranslating the syscalls to Win32 / DirectX variants and fiddling with VS compile and link flags I imagine the fun disappears quickly.

Still pretty cool project though.

EDIT:
Yes it does, as many other engine reimplementations during last 20 years.
Depends on if they did any sort of work to modify the asset handling or not. Lot of games baked their assets into the executable.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
even if they were to replace the assets nintendo still can take it down, yes.
This is not correct. Replacing all of the assets and using code that was properly reverse engineered would absolutely be fine.

You'd basically just creating a whole new game with a whole new engine inspired by Mario 64.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This is clearly using the original assets, though.
No. The source code has also leaked, and it includes NO assets. The fact that a compiled .exe with the assets included has leaked, doesn't mean that that was what the devs wanted to release.
lol, it doesn't work that way.
Yes, it does. It's a reimplementation. URDE is a Metroid Prime reimplementation, and they distribute it with NO assets, you have to provide your Metroid Prime assets yourself. After you do that, you can have Metroid Prime running natively on your PC. This is the same thing. Reimplementations are a common thing in gaming and are 100% legal. There's also a Jedi Outcast reimplementation that allows you to run the game at high resolutions and such, for example. Again, no assets included. You provide the assets yourself. 100% legal.

This it the same thing. Again, what has LEAKED is both the source code with NO assets, and a compiled .exe with all the assets. The fact that a compiled .exe with assets has leaked, I repeat, doesn't mean that the developerrs wanted to distribute the game that way, since it's a LEAK.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I've just rgb modded an ntsc n64 to play this again, but am going to hold fire until I see the switch remaster.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Here's the source code for this PC port (it was also leaked). No assets are included with this download, so distributing this is completely legal:

anonymousfiles.io - anonymousfiles Resources and Information.

anonymousfiles.io is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, anonymousfiles.io has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I can't distribute the compiled .exe because that included assets and would not be legal.

I'm having a lot of fun with the port. It supports Xbox gamepads, by the way.

uF4wuza.png

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, if they switch to generic Jumpman. Although I bet Ninty would still try and they have deeper coffers.
This is also wrong... You distribute clean room source code, then rely on the person who's compiling to produce the assets via their own rom dump.

The Jedi Knight games source code was released the same way, though with the creators blessings.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Any way I can play this with a Switch pro controller? It's only recognizing my Xbox controller

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Just tell people how to dump the assets from a legit copy, like with GZDoom.
They are already doing that.

Look at my previous post, I linked to the source code of the game. It includes no assets, you have to provide them yourself in order to compile the game.

The leaked compiled .exe is clearly not what the devs inteded to release and distribute.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
unlocked framerate support would be a really worthy addition. RTX could be cool, but I expect there's a lot of source-less light sources that would require an artistic go-over to look good.

cableboy

Jul 15, 2019
Is this really out of nowhere? I mean the decomp project has been going on for a while.

Anyways, it would be nice if Nintendo put this kind of time into remasters instead of putting their effort into litigation of fan projects.