• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buy from Epic or Steam at the same price?

• Epic

• Steam

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Steam of course. I haven't installed Epic launcher and no game will convince me to.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I would buy it on Steam even if was was higher priced. I value the ecosystem and value adds of that platform over minor pricing difference.
I have Steam family sharing set up with five other people, it would literally be a better value for me to pay three times as much on Steam for a game, over choosing Epic.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Same price, Steam. In terms of the software, I don't see much competition. Workshop and family sharing alone seals it.

In regards to a lower price, unless it's a very hefty price cut that would likely not change my mind. I'd just wait for Steam to eventually put it on sale too. I'm very happy to wait for an optimal experience at a price I feel is fair.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Pertaining to the question at hand: at the same price, easily steam. functionality wise, it's still king.
Now, putting price and other factors into the equation, it would depend on the game, honestly. i couldn't resist playing Journey again, and ill probably buy it again when it gets to steam. have yet to buy another game from Epic, got close to getting Ashen for a pretty cheap price some months ago, but decided on not too. backlog was huge enough at the time.
also, i was lucky enough that the games i had most interest in, like Exodus or Control, i had either ppl who pre order it on steam, so i had family share, or with Control, a friend shared his acc. so i didn't really need to make a decision of "should i wait for this to release in steam or not?" with those games.
Obviously steam.

but I feel like this is trying to be a "Gotcha!"poll by the OP.

like somehow buying stuff on EGS only because it's cheaper or exclusive is bad

the reality is that some people care more about how much shit costs then what store they buy it from.

this is true for everything from bananas to sports cars. Video games included
honestly. that.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will always buy wherever is cheapest. If they are the same I will default to Steam because that is my largest library. But I have no problems buying games from EGS. Why should I?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not adverse to buying on non-steam stores when the price is cheaper (playing doom eternal on bethesda launcher atm) but for the same price why would I not go for steam? They trounce everyone else in features and most people's library is there.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I may buy something on a launcher different than Steam, buy it needs to be really, really good, not available on Steam and I want to support the publisher more... but Epic? No.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
If it's the same price, then Steam of course. I'm going to use the platform where I have most of my friends and a robust set of features.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Steam. I've had an account with them since HL2 released and own tons of games there. No reason to go anywhere else there's a great reason for doing so.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
And the winner for the most lopsided poll of the year is....

Seriously though, Steam. I'd prefer a GOG version, but yeah, Steam. Achievements, more stability potential mod support. Also, EGS still doesn't support CAD, so get gouged by PayPal conversion rate if I buy anything on Epic, so I'm only grabbing freebies from them from my browser. EGS Launcher's not even currently installed on my desktop.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Steam. Every time.

Just had the option for ÂŁ31.99 for Doom Eternal on Bethesda Launcher, or ÂŁ49.99 for the Steam version. I went with Steam.
Steam Controller/configurator support, Steam BPM, Proton support for the game possibly in the future, Achievements, Cards. It's just the better ecosystem hands down.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's zero reason to choose EGS unless you're being contrarian or have a weird, tribal hate-boner for Valve.

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
If the developer of said game had their own storefront as an option (like UPlay or Origin) then I'd go with that. If not, then I'd go with Steam but would much prefer GOG or itch.

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Is this a trick question?

What are the advantages to the user in picking EGS? We've seen the numbers suggest that only a limited number of people are willing to tolerate EGS when Steam is not an option, I think the people who would opt for EGS over Steam are a rounding error.

No tricks, was just curious how heavily it would lean towards Steam at the same price. One of my first thoughts after seeing the price was the same was "who is gonna buy the Epic version when there is a Steam version at the same price?". Apparently not ~95% of people. Perhaps a more interesting question would have been a poll about how much cheaper an EGS version would have to be to get that over a Steam version.

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
I Don't really mind buying games on EGS, AFAIK developers get a bigger cut from the sale price, so I'd rather support the DEV/publisher rather than a storefront, that, honestly has never done anything for me. But out of all of them, my favorite would definitely be GOG.

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
EGS.

The Steam client has becoming extremely bloated, ugly, and with an excess of features. I prefer the minimalist EGS client, just like I prefer the Switch OS over the PS4 or Xbox One OS.

Plus, the developer would get more money.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I would ever pick EGS over Steam, is because EGS has regional pricing here and Steam (as in, the Steam store itself - not key sellers) does not. Prices equal, I have no reason to buy the game on EGS.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Steam, the ecosystem is just too good to leave (and became my minimum requirements for bought PC games).
Notably: it supports all my controllers (SCAPI), supports Linux, has Big Picture overlay.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even pick up the free games on Epic anymore after what they did with my backing of Shenmue 3.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it launches on Steam, that also means dozens of other stores are also selling it, and will sell it at a discount. Selling on Steam = selling on lots, and lots of stores

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I literally have nothing against Epic but even I would chose Steam in that case.

Streams launcher is just miles ahead of the Epic one and as long as that's the case, the default option will still be Steam.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the price. I'm not locked down to one store and for the most part I don't mind the Epic Games Store like other people do.

If it's cheaper on one than the other than I'll cop it there.

The only game of recent memory where I went out of my way for the Steam ver. was Borderlands 3 for a completely unrelated reason that ended up being not true.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll gladly spend more and have it on Steam. Steam has an incredible amount of built in features, from VR, to built in gamepad support for all games, big picture mode, Steam Workshop, community forums, good refund policy, etc etc.

Steam is by far the best storefront and it ain't even close. Epic feels like it's decades behind and will never catch up

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought precisely one game from the Epic store (Tetris Effect during the winter sale) and I massively regret not waiting to get it on Steam. The game only lets you use the first assigned controller in Windows and won't accept inputs from any other controller. This means that I'm forced to use my Xbox 360 controller and not my preferred Xbox One controller. Steam, on the other hand, would force the game to accept input from my Xbone controller from its own overlay.

It's these little QOL touches that are missing from the Epic store and the reason why I still choose Steam wherever I can.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously Steam even if I wasn't boycotting Epic. Besides the fact that Steam is clearly the superior platform, one factor that is seldom discussed is trust. I trust Valve to handle my digital games library and I feel safe that I won't lose access to my purchases.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
If I have the choice, I will always buy games on publisher's own store: Ubisoft games on Uplay, EA games on Origin, CD Projekt games on GoG, Microsoft games on Windows Store, etc.

If it's a third party publisher which doesn't have its own store, I will buy the game on the store which give the most money to the publisher (so Itch.io, Epic Games Store or GoG). If I don't have this choice, anything except Steam.

And if I'm forced to play the game on Steam, because it is exclusive to this store, I will try to buy the key elsewhere.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'd buy it on Steam even if it was more expensive. In practice I've found most games tend to be cheaper through Steam key sellers even if they're the same price on EGS and Steam itself, though.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Steam, even when it is twice as cheap on EGS. They burned my vote by having me go trough a horrible experience simply paying for a game with my credit card and I never had a single issue with steam