• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Count me in with not finding the Blood-Starved Beast in Bloodborne difficult. I think on my first playthrough, I died once when I got it down to the final phase but killed it on the next attempt. From what I've heard, a lot of people also consider Queen Yahrnam to be pretty difficult? Can't say I agree, I got her on the first attempt.

Jan 11, 2018
The Nameless King.

There are a CRAPTON of "easier" bosses in the series that kicked my ass a million times but this dude didn't give me much trouble.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I knew about Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls while going into it was that I would be fighting two guys, and that it was supposed to be really hard

I'm usually not even good at fighting multiple bosses, but O&S never gave me any trouble across multiple playthroughs

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Blood-Starved Beast was a wall for a lot of people that has really never given me any trouble.

Vicar Amelia was my Everest though. Yeesh.

Same here. Loads of people I know were walled by BSB whereas I took it down first-try and every single time since. Father Gascoigne was my Everest however. He walled me and ever since, never been walled by another boss until Kos. I believe it's because of how my mindset changed from dodging away from enemies to dodging INTO enemies and being more aggressive.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
Darkeater Midir from the DS3 DLC. People constantly hype him up as one of, if not the most difficult boss in the series, but I got him on my second try. I found that it was very easy to bait him into doing a specific attack (his tail swipe move when you go behind him) over and over which made the fight relatively simple.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Final%2BFantasy%2BTactics%2B%252842%2529.jpg

Was a chump.

complete bastards

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Soul of Cinder.

Last boss, I just finished the Twin Princes after a week or two of attempts. I was tired and just wanted to how the fight would be.

Killed him on the first attempt.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I had a terrible time with Blood Starved Beast as well as the 3 hooded snake guys you fight later on, in Bloodborne.
But I 1 shot Vicar and Gherman.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
Last boss of Metroid Dread. Went into the fight blind, beat it on my third attempt. I honestly don't think it's that bad, and it's surprising how often I see people saying they straight up quit the game at this point.

People talk up Returnal's difficulty, but I hit credits in 8 runs and never died to a boss.

Wow, almost exactly the same with me. I beat Act 2 fully on my 7th run, and I first-tried every boss I ran into. Honestly the hardest part for me was biome 5 which doesn't even have a boss.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Probably most of them TBH. I don't know why but I never really feel the struggle.

In recent times, Father Owl and Demon of Hatred just didn't give me any trouble. Same with Nameless King, Midir, and Gael.

They're fun fights with decent challenge, but I was surprised that people found them terribly difficult.

Darkeater Midir from the DS3 DLC. People constantly hype him up as one of, if not the most difficult boss in the series, but I got him on my second try. I found that it was very easy to bait him into doing a specific attack (his tail swipe move when you go behind him) over and over which made the fight relatively simple.
Yeah, his difficulty was pure numbers.

His move-set is really small. Defense and damage are what makes him tough, so if you play smart, he really can't put up much of a fight.

I think a lot of it is psychological. He's so big and can do so much damage that people slip up while fighting him (especially since the fight is going to be a longer one because of his crazy health/defense).

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
large.jpg

This fight.... or honestly, several parts of The Alliance Allive.... Like goddamn this game hates you. Literally had one party member just 'Defending' most of the time (they were a sentinel class) and still party members would be eating dirt. (I know this topic specify's "otherwise easy" games, but I also just wanna brag about this game to people who like the tough ones).

The fight at the midpoint of this game absolutely broke me. No matter what I tried it seemed that I couldn't win and it has a weird thing to it where you have to play through a pretty lengthy set piece to even get to the fight, and couldn't bring myself to redo it. I really should give it another shot, as I loved basically everything else in the game. It felt like a ps1 era jrpg in terms of how many little extra systems and some optional characters there were tucked away. Surprisingly interesting world concept too.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Blood starved beast took me couple of tries.

And False King Allant was first try with not much healing used at all

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I beat several of the Returnal bosses (Hyperion and Ophion iirc) on my first try, though that speaks more to how different the game can be with a good loadout versus a poor one than it does A) my skill or B) the actual difficulty of the boss.

Same here. As a matter of fact, I think the only boss that took me more than one try was the very first one. The bosses were the easy part of Returnal. It was the regular rooms in the game that randomly, frustratingly killed me, again and again and again.

And as for From games...Ornstein and Smough never gave me much trouble. I think, outside of that, I've struggled "appropriately" with most of the bosses. Except, perhaps:

In Sekiro, after suffering through Demon of Hatred, I felt like Sword Saint Isshin was a pleasant summerly stroll along the beach.

Quite the opposite, for me. Demon of Hatred was a relative pushover, for a From boss. I lost count of tries with Isshin, and when I finally won, I almost felt like it didn't count because there was a fair bit of luck involved.

HotSauceMaven

Oct 9, 2018
The final boss/encounter of Quantum Break on hard. The whole game on hard is pretty easy, then it just feels like it ramps up in the final encounter for no reason.

T.I (uh oh)

Oct 29, 2017
The original Turok on N64 was a big deal at my school. While I'm not sure what the overall concensus is regarding the difficulty of the bosses - but at my school I was the only person who could beat the Mantis.

I had kids of all ages bring me their N64 memory cards and ask me to beat the Mantis and bring it back to them. I must have done at least 20 memory cards. Was pretty wild as a 13 year old.

Personally, I found the Humvees and the Longhunter to be so much harder.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Two come to mind:

Metal Gear Revengeance: the final boss.
Really didn't have much trouble the whole rest of the game (might have even been playing on Easy) but the final boss I just couldn't beat no matter what I did. I think I fucked up by not buying health packs or new moves between levels (not something that felt necessary the rest of the game), but that last boss just sucked. Bosses that heal all their health back are the worst and shouldn't even be allowed, haha.

Mario + Luigi: Partners in Time: Final boss.
No issues the whole rest of the game, but like Revengeance, the final boss also could heal it's health back. I was fighting it for what felt like FOREVER, only for it to heal a ton of health back. It was so discouraging I just quit then and there. I'm sure there was some strategy, like killing his minions first, but I was too irritated to give it another try.

Oct 31, 2017
Radec in Killzone 2.

Beat the game on Elite. It and he was tough, but wasn't as bad as I thought most people made it out to be. I know at the time, many people hated the Radec fight. And on Elite, it was definitely pretty spicy lol but not too bad I felt.

EDIT: Agree with the Capra Demon and Blood-Starved Beast mentions too. Only played Dark Souls once, and had no problem in my time with the game all those years ago against that boss and I'd heard people saying it was annoying.

Did the same thing with BSB too and recently replayed Bloodborne and again it was no problem, though I breezed through most of the bosses this time tbh. All about just properly exploring, levelling, and patience really.

Last edited:

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
The Final Boss in Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door was ridiculous and just out of nowhere hard

Control had a few bumps along the way but the game wasn't all that bad outside of
Salvador
If you stopped playing there, I totally understand.

The Witcher 3 saw me battling the controls more than the game but
Imlarith
was tricky

I can't believe all the people in this thread who didn't find Sekiro hard though

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The final fight against Mizar in Jet Force Gemini.

I had no idea it was considered difficult until I started seeing people complain about it online. I had way more trouble with the Mechantids which are considered to be easy.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The woman in the cave in Nioh seems like it's tough for some but I beat her first try. Actually beat a lot of those bosses first try, especially towards the middle and end of the game. Probably just because I had played most Souls games before, except Sekiro which I am total shit at
How about the lighting beast? I had allot of trouble with that one.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Dark Souls 3: Dancer of the Boreal Valley, Champion Gundyr, Darkeater Midir
Bloodborne: Cleric Beast, Blood-Starved Beast, Shadows of Yharnam, Rom, Martyr Logarius, Ludwig, Orphan of Kos

(before anyone thinks I'm bragging, I'm not -- I struggled against a lot of bosses, from Father Gascoigne to Nameless King, Father Owl, Sister Friede and many others)

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls 1, beat that on my 2nd or 3rd try, never understood why people hate that one so much

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
The 5th dungeon boss from Persona 5 Royal. What the hell were they thinking? Outside of this boss this game is really easy, they added a lot of stuff compared to the OG game that makes it easier to win and harder to die.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a number of souls bosses get hyped up as harder than they really seemed to me. But Capra demon has to take the cake for being an extremely easy boss that people were saying was hard. I remember playing Dark Souls way back in the day, reading posts from people who were ahead of me in the game. I kept seeing the name Capra demon coming up as being this big scary thing people were struggling with.
And then I didn't even really register that I was fighting said boss until I'd already just about killed it.

This is me. I fought the regular enemy versions of capra demon before I found the boss version so it was a pretty anticlimactic fight. The dogs gave me more trouble than the boss. I guess it depends on how early you reach it though.

I have no idea why people get gated by the Watcher Knights.

I think it makes sense, keeping track of multiple targets moving individually can be difficult for some people. I thought they were one of the more difficult bosses bosses in the game outside of the round 2/dream bosses.

I see a lot of complaints for Mantis Lords. I find them incredibly easy. You just follow their rhythm.

I didn't have much trouble, but I can get this one too. It's the first boss in the game which doesn't really give you any room to breathe, so if you haven't gotten used to the combat yet I can see how that'd be a difficulty spike for people. It's a pretty good fight for making sure people do get used to combat though so they're ready for when things really get hard.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I remember how everyone kept saying that the final Boss in Quantum Break is absolutely rage inducing, I beat it on my first try, to this day I have no clue what the actual issue is with that boss fight.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Orphan of Kos from Bloodborne.

I had far more trouble with a bunch of other Souls bosses, and more if you include Sekiro. I understand completely why he's a wall for so many people, but for some reason he has never been much of an issue for me. It takes me a few deaths on each run, but that's no different than most other bosses.

He wasn't even the hardest boss for me in my first playthrough of Old Hunters (I found both Maria and Ludwig far harder).

Super Ornstein is another that I don't get. I choose him over Super Smough every single time. I also found Demon of Hatred in Sekiro about approximately, erm, 1 trillion times harder than the final boss. DoH fucking sucked.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
This is me. I fought the regular enemy versions of capra demon before I found the boss version so it was a pretty anticlimactic fight. The dogs gave me more trouble than the boss. I guess it depends on how early you reach it though.

Even getting to the Capra Demon in the super standard expected order that most players experience, where they are like the third or fourth boss (Taurus>Gargoyles>Capra, sometimes moonlight butterfly before capra), he's a really damn easy enemy.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Whitney in Pokemon.

It's like these fools don't realize you can catch a Geodude literally right at the very beginning of the game and Geodude resists tf out of Rollout.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Tbh, most souls bosses aren't that hard. When I first encounter most of them, I'll just try to run circles around them trying to see what their attack patterns are. Once I get an idea of how they work, then I'll finally start to attack. It's usually the fast-paced aggressive fights that i get wrecked in, like orphan of Kos.

Sep 28, 2019
Keeping up with the Bloodborne love, for me, it was Rom. Both versions as well, in the story I would ignore the spiders underlings and do hit and run tactics. The chalice dungeon was the opposite I would kill the spiders and thirst him.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Lady Butterfly in recent memory. Took like 3 tries. On the third try I destroyed her with almost no damage.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
Never had much trouble with Lady Maria or Orphan of Kos. Former I nearly beat first try, second only took a couple of tries. I wouldn't consider myself "good" at these games or anything either. Only Bloodborne bosses that ever really gave me much trouble (Chalice Dungeons excluded) were Laurence and Logarius. Beyond that I never found the bosses in the game to be particularly challenging.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The fight at the midpoint of this game absolutely broke me. No matter what I tried it seemed that I couldn't win and it has a weird thing to it where you have to play through a pretty lengthy set piece to even get to the fight, and couldn't bring myself to redo it. I really should give it another shot, as I loved basically everything else in the game. It felt like a ps1 era jrpg in terms of how many little extra systems and some optional characters there were tucked away. Surprisingly interesting world concept too.

- I heard the fight was hard.
- I over-levelled. For hours!
- Go do the whole event/scene (snow area was generally HARD).
- Get through standard fights on the way to the boss just fine.
- Take a loss, but come out OK after Boss 1.
- One character left alive with "one more hits-worth' of HP before dealing the finishing blow (from that the strong/animal-like fella).

While the snow area is the worst case of it, it wasn't even the only time I was left with one person left alive with barely any HP. šŸ˜…

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Ornstein and Smough died on my second (or third?) attempt. Was severely disappointed because everyone was acting like its the hardest thing in the world and was expecting a fun challenge ...