• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
A Kiwi adman has chosen an unusual support person to accompany him to a redundancy meeting.

In lieu of the usual suspects of a friend, colleague or family member, the member of the creative team at FCB hired a professional clown to attend the meeting with him.

An image sent to the Herald overnight shows the staffer, sitting alongside his support clown while he talks to the individuals running the meeting.
In the strange world of support creatures, this adds another colourful addition to a quirky crew that already includes hedgehogs, peacocks and goats.

The Herald understands that the clown blew up balloons and folded them into a series of animals throughout the meeting.

It's further understood that the clown mimed crying when the redundancy paperwork was handed over to the staffer.

E37IW3SFCFFSTMUPM4WDCN347E.jpg

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
"The Herald understands that the clown blew up balloons and folded them into a series of animals throughout the meeting.

It's further understood that the clown mimed crying when the redundancy paperwork was handed over to the staffer"

I'm dead. The mental image is too much.

Oct 25, 2017
"The Herald understands that the clown blew up balloons and folded them into a series of animals throughout the meeting.

It's further understood that the clown mimed crying when the redundancy paperwork was handed over to the staffer"

If you pitched this in a writer's room you'd be laughed out
Real life really is stranger than fiction

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
From reading the article it sounds like the guy already had another job lined up for himself and his partner, so he was just having some fun.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is goddamn hilarious.

Have Will Ferrell play him when this unemployed dude sells the rights

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Extra props for it being a legit-looking birthday party clown and not some edgelord Joker wannabe.

I hope there was a sad trombone or slide whistle involved as well.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Can I just say how much I hate the term "redundancy" as a code word for "we're letting you go?" Makes it sound so much worse while also trying to couch it in better terms.

Good for this bloke.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
The only strange thing about this is someone is somehow comforted by clowns. Once you wrestle with that fact everything else is a natural consequence.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

God I fucking need to see that interview I can't imagine a straight face on anyone there

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
"Emotional Support Clown" would be a great name for a band. Or an ICP album.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Am I fired? Clown question bro.

I'm sure the company could have said the clown couldn't attend the meeting, a clown is not an emotional support animal, but it's all just for fun anyway.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Can I just say how much I hate the term "redundancy" as a code word for "we're letting you go?" Makes it sound so much worse while also trying to couch it in better terms.

Role redundancy is a specific thing and separate from a performance based dismissal. They have different reasons for happening, laws, processes, and outcomes in NZ.

So bundling it into a more generic term wouldn't be more helpful for the employee in question. If anything it would be less comforting (culturally here, being "made redundant" is seen as less personal than being "terminated or dismissed").

Regardless, it is actually the journalist of the article that uses the language, and there is no indication of the language, tone, or level of upfrontness the company actually used.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017

Good for this bloke.
It's a legalistic dodge move to fire you without cause ( we're restructuring therefore your role is no longer extent, nothing personal).

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I swear I love Kiwis sense of humor. I'd move down to Auckland or the area, if I had to move out of the Bay Area.