• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
What a joke.
First fox reports that Biden wants to take away our burgers, and that was all false with a quick opps.
Now a reporter posts a fake story about her book being distributed to undocumented minors. Same thing, oops.

Both of these fake stories rile up people, especially the right. Then the oops goes mostly unnoticed. Damage done and mission completed.

And the irony of criticism about her book being handed out. It would be fair Imo if it was pure gov money. But the GOP used a bunch of donor money to support their party writers. Not as bad, but still shady.

Grifters.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Shitty of the Post but not surprising, what is surprising is the reporter admitting this. I feel like this would tank your professional integrity as a writer.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Weird how all those reporters and editors she "admire deeply", "hold as friends", and worked with for years at the rag didn't stand by her when she didn't want to write this story.

And would Era perfer she stay at the Post, continuing to spew garbage, or leave and tell the world exactly how the Post works?
You don't have to have sympathy before her, but she should not recieve vitriol the the Post should be getting.

So would Era perfer she continue to spew lies working at the Post?
Use the '@' symbol to tag Era; maybe they'll respond to your queries.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
And would Era perfer she stay at the Post, continuing to spew garbage, or leave and tell the world exactly how the Post works?
You don't have to have sympathy before her, but she should not recieve vitriol the the Post should be getting.

So would Era perfer she continue to spew lies working at the Post?

Point me to any post that suggests this. Go ahead.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I saw some big left wing accounts tweeting this story too- seems like the lie penetrated the partisan barrier. Most of them are deleted by now, but the damage is done already. Wish people would actually look into the source before getting mad at something imaginary.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
What a joke.
First fox reports that Biden wants to take away our burgers, and that was all false with a quick opps.
Now a reporter posts a fake story about her book being distributed to undocumented minors. Same thing, oops.

Both of these fake stories rile up people, especially the right. Then the oops goes mostly unnoticed. Damage done and mission completed.

And the irony of criticism about her book being handed out. It would be fair Imo if it was pure gov money. But the GOP used a bunch of donor money to support their party writers. Not as bad, but still shady.

Grifters.
I also notice how if some writer in mainstream media makes a mistake, Right wing media talks about it forever claiming it's all proof that the Left are liars and out to get Republicans and fake news.

The Right can just go ahead and publish outright lies about the President and VP but the story will vanish in two days never to be thought about again.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The right wing cycle - build up something minor (or lately make something up completely) to rile up the base, blast it during primetime and via your congressional stooges.

Issue 'correction' in off hours and quietly drop the story two days later, never mentioning it again.

Repeat.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The damage has been done. Conservatives believe literally every fabrication they read, and continue to believe it even after being told it's not true.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
They can't actually get anything to stick to the Biden admin, so they're just at a point where they're making stuff up. The other conservative weekend outrage was that Biden's climate plan would see red meat consumption cut by 90%. And that individually you'd only be able to have 4lbs a year. Fox News spent the entire weekend raging about it. And then spent 30 seconds admitting it was a lie yesterday.

Yup.

The old tricks dont work any more and ive been framing it like this to some good effect.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Never acknowledging one's own mistakes is pretty much the foundation of conservativism.
Hey I'm sure after spreading the lie for two days straight they will say this was a mistake for a whole 15 seconds, at a time when their ratings are lowest and then never mention it again while they search out the next lie they can repeat this cycle with.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
You worked for the NY Post, of course the story was bullshit.
Yep they are cool with the lies and half truths until it effects them personally. Seems like this story got too personal and all of a sudden the author cared about integrity. They were cool working for a Republican rhetoric rag until that moment.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So instead of her admitting she was wrong and resign, you would still have her working for the Post.
No, we'd prefer she quit before putting her byline on a lie. Glad she resigned and all that, but she'll get no sympathy from me for having a crisis of conscience after the fact.
You're presenting a false choice here that's disingenuous.

Also fuck the Post for publishing this. Not sure that needs to be said but some of the posters in here seem to think we're defending them by omission or something. The Crux of this thread is about the reporter resigning.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I'm guessing what happened was, her having worked there for so long she thought, even as a woman, she had earned the same control over what she has to publish that her male counterparts get. They told her no and to publish it.

Just speculation on my part but it wouldn't surprise me considering what this rag stands for.

Jul 18, 2018
Guess this is what happens when the news was flourishing under Trump and now realize they don't have sensational headlines under the Biden administration. It will be interesting to see how the big news networks will try to lure people in

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting how this thread is 75 posts or so, and the majority of them are debating the integrity, guilty, blame, shame, and state of mind of the employee... A person who was forced to write a knowingly false article by a company that doesn't just control her pay, her ability to pay bills, but also controls her access to healthcare in the midst of a pandemic.

Sure, we'd all like to think that when pressure to do something immoral at work we'd stand up and do what's right in a moment... "I AM SPARTACUS!" and march out triumphantly, leading a wave of other reporters behind us !! Overthrow Rupert!!

But we all have primary needs. A roof over our heads, access to food, medical care during a pandemic, and when your employer holds all of those cards, waiting 3 or 4 days to get all of that settled after being forced to do something immoral at work isn't as much of a grievence as the fact that her employer is forcing the journalist to write knowingly false stories to please their Republican, conservative political masters at News Corporation.

The focus of this should be that the NY Post forces writers to publish fake stories that they know are false. A secondary discussion is around how many days it took this journalist to resign in the aftermath of it, or if she had the leverage to pull her byline like what happened with the Hunter Biden story last fall, but that should be secondary to the NYPost continuing to publish pure, adulterated trash. If you're working at the NYPost to begin with, your'e probably don't have the most journalistic integrity in the first place, but I think the amount of time it took this person to resign is secondary to the fact that another Murdoch news publication is just completely making up stories.

From when I was a kid in NYC, I remember the NY Post and the NY Daily News both being goofy tabloids that were known as "trash" news amongst many NY Times & Wall Street Journal readers but not necessarily flat-out propaganda pushers until Murdoch bought the Post. Even then, the Post seemed like a Fox-friendly, right-wing tabloid counterpart to the Daily News where its stories were dumber but also still grounded in a subway-rider mentality (once again, in direct contrast to NY Times and WSJ audience).

I haven't lived in NYC (or the US) in almost a decade but I get the sense that the Post wasn't publishing outright lies directed towards a national audience until the Trump era, and one of the articles about this mess mentioned that Murdoch brought in a new editor from a London tabloid within the past few years. This sounds to me like the new editor has no perspective on NYC news, and would focus more on "Fox News Cinematic Universe" -friendly news stories, even when the "news" is just made up shit. So for a long-time reporter who's used to covering NYC events with a tabloid-level snark, she'd have positive memories of the newsroom that would cloud your judgement of recent events.

I think? This is a lot of speculation and trying to read between the lines of NY Post reporting - I only really interacted with NY Daily News reporters when I worked in NYC.

Yeah, same happened with the Boston Herald. The Boston Herald was always a tabloid, pulpier, they had a great sports section... Your dad might read the Boston Globe's sports section, but if you were young and into sports you bought the Herald. The Herald always went for sensationalist stories, but they also did a lot of reporting that the big papers wouldn't spend as much time on... Like if you've seen the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum heist doc on Netflix, that was a story that most of the big papers mostly dropped, but the Herald kept on it for ages and kept it in the public eye. It was one of those pulpy stories that was fascinating, same with coverage of, like the Massachusetts drug testing lab scandal ~10 years ago where a state employee was basically colluding with prosecutors to put accused drug offenders in jail, and a bunch of other like... low-brow but pulpy sensationalist stories.

Then about 10 years ago the paper took a strong right shift. It always was *more to the right* than the Boston Globe, they hired more sensationalist staff and they tended to write more populist right wing stuff, but it really went in hard on national right wing politics, and now the paper is just a joke... it's all garbage all the time.

It's self-perpetuating too. Like, they publish garbage so they attract garbage writers who then publish more garbage and then it's seen as a job you can get for writing garbage so it attracts more garbage, ad nauseam.

Last edited:

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Yep they are cool with the lies and half truths until it effects them personally. Seems like this story got too personal and all of a sudden the author cared about integrity. They were cool working for a Republican rhetoric rag until that moment.

?

While it's a rag, the Post is an actual journalistic organization with an actual editorial staff and actual editorial standards. Forcing literal fake news goes above and beyond anything they reportedly do.

Jeez, give the woman some breathe.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So a journalist had crisis of conscious, did the right thing and resigned and told the world why. Instead of attacking the paper and management, she is being made a pariah by both sides.

Lesson, it doesn't pay to do the right thing or change.

* A journalist who writes for a well-known propaganda rag, who writes hit pieces about BLM and platforms Project Veritas

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
?

While it's a rag, the Post is an actual journalistic organization with an actual editorial staff and actual editorial standards. Forcing literal fake news goes above and beyond anything they reportedly do.

Jeez, give the woman some breathe.
Oh sorry, I guess twisting the truth and only reporting half of the picture to give pretty much every story they had a heavy Conservative spin not too mention consistently giving a shield to Republicans like Trump and enabling them, isn't lying or spreading fake news. The Post is largely trash, and she knew it.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was a bad journalist for writing and signing a story she knew was false. They are a bad paper for "forcing" someone to write a knowingly false story. There are no heroes here.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
People on Twitter praising her for quitting and calling her a hero. That's laughable. The damage was already done from your made up story

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
People on Twitter praising her for quitting and calling her a hero. That's laughable. The damage was already done from your made up story
This is why I'm surprised more former Trump people haven't come out with stories about Trump as they struggle to find work now. The media and public would eat it all up and largely consider them heroes, super eager to forgive the years they spent covering for Trump.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Oh, we had some posters on here that were pushing this narrative the other day.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Holy crap. This forum almost always brings up the fact that walking away from a job can have serious consequences, justifiably laughing at the "just get a job" sentiment.

But somehow when it comes to a journalist at a conservative newspaper that is not an issue?

It's quite clear that she has been under a lot of stress. These decisions take time and there is your livelihood to think about.

She resigned and in the end made her choice.
this exactly what I believe. people talk a big talk on the internet especially.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I saw some big left wing accounts tweeting this story too- seems like the lie penetrated the partisan barrier. Most of them are deleted by now, but the damage is done already. Wish people would actually look into the source before getting mad at something imaginary.

I mean, that's a whole other post. Dems suck for a litany of reasons but If i see the same critiques I can see on foxnews, I know the motives are suspect. The internet killed the 'broken clock right twice' theory since there are so many bad faith posters with ulterior motives besides what they represent.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
People keep mentioning that this was peddled on era but are there any links? Was it a closed thread or did the conversation end up shitting up some other thread, probably about Biden.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
it has become increasingly difficult for me to tell the difference between MAGAts and those on the further spectrum of the Left, so much so that I now have to check posting history on twitter before I label somebody as a MAGAt because a few times now I have labeled somebody on the Left as a Trump supporter.

If the things you are saying are indistinguishable from what Nazis are saying, maybe it's time to do some introspection.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I always enjoy reading about the aftermath of a story I completely missed happening in the first place.

A little confused by some posts asking why she quit after it published. Was anybody calling for her to quit in the first place? Seems like if it was really business as usual for her she'd just keep her job and go about her day.

laikalot

May 30, 2020
People keep mentioning that this was peddled on era but are there any links? Was it a closed thread or did the conversation end up shitting up some other thread, probably about Biden.

It was brought up in the below thread, haven't bothered to check elsewhere.

www.resetera.com

The number of migrant children in US Border Patrol custody has plunged more than 84% in a month News

Down to under 1000, a drop of over 84% from March's peak. CNN article on the matter:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It was brought up in the below thread, haven't bothered to check elsewhere.

www.resetera.com

The number of migrant children in US Border Patrol custody has plunged more than 84% in a month News

Down to under 1000, a drop of over 84% from March's peak. CNN article on the matter:
thanks. Not really sure it's fair for people to say this was peddled on era when just one person was saying it that most definitely has strong opinions about Biden and Kamala already and seems willing to believe anything they hear bad about them. But maybe there were more pushing it elsewhere.