• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Is there a reason you still can't Power Off the console with the controller? If you try from the controller, it only gives you the Sleep Option. You have to physcially come up to the Switch and press the power button, then use the controller to power off. So fucking stupid.
They simply do not want you to turn the console all the way off unless absolutely necessary, no real technical limitation to speak of

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
www.gematsu.com

Switch system update version 13.0.0 now available

Nintendo has released the version 13.0.0 system software update for Switch.

Anybody tested this? Does it help with drift at all?

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone trying to get Airpods (not pros) to work do this:

1. make sure airpods are in case, open lid, keep it open, HOLD button on back of case until light inside case flashes white

2. Enter Bluetooth pairing screen on Switch - IMPORTANT - don't swap steps 1 and 2

3. Wait at least one FULL minute, keep airpods as close to top of Switch as possible

It will eventually pair.
This worked for me! Thank you!
It'd be good to make sure that you don't have this option enabled by accident if your audio is really quiet.

Yes, toggling that option to "off" will make a significant difference.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Used my XM3's, seemed pretty good, although unless lag is really bad my brain just copes with it, so YMMV.

Also, a tip if you want to use BT headphones with Pokémon Sword and Shield, you need to connect to the internet under the Y-Comm, then reconnect your headphones under the settings menu and return to the game quickly, as the game likes to disconnect from the internet if you're not in-game for a minute or so.

Jun 24, 2021
I can't help but see this and feel a bit petty. Congratulations to Nintendo for finally adding in 2021 a feature that PlayStation had two generations ago since the PS3 in 2006.

Maybe one day we'll get a feature the OG Xbox had since 2002: online voice chat directly through the console.

deeganay

Oct 30, 2017
So happy they finally introduced this feature to the Nintendo Switch, except of course it's when I forget my headphones at my in-laws!!
Can't wait to try it out!

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I can't help but see this and feel a bit petty. Congratulations to Nintendo for finally adding in 2021 a feature that PlayStation had two generations ago since the PS3 in 2006.

Maybe one day we'll get a feature the OG Xbox had since 2002: online voice chat directly through the console.

It's also a feature that Sony has dropped on their last two consoles for some reason.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020

Nintendo's actually ahead of the curve on this one, as it's literally the only current game console to actually have the feature. No Xbox has Bluetooth period, and only the PS3 had BT audio, and even then its implementation was crap. IIRC it was input only.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

A feature that playstation forgot since 2 generations ago you mean.

This is a good thing. I don't know why people are being so negative about it.

Oct 25, 2017
México

The PS4, PS5, OG Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S don't support Bluetooth headphones.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This is actually the first of the big 3 to actually support bluetooth audio from non first-party devices, it's a megaton

I thought the first two pages of this threat was pure sarcasm on how long it took them to implement it. What the crap, I feel this should be a basic feature. I really haven't consoled gamed in a long time.

Panicky Duck

Dec 14, 2020
I wasn't aware that the OLED dock was going to have its own firmware. I wonder what updating that could possibly accomplish.

Puddington

Nov 2, 2017
Works fine with my OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z headphones. I just had to raise the volume on the headphones themselves to get them to an acceptable volume.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it actually makes sense that The Big Three view Bluetooth audio as inadequate due to latency and quality, but if you have a portable device and are willing to buy a dongle to use your airpods on it, latency and all, might as well put it in there.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Tested both my Beats and AirPods Pro and both worked awesome. Just make sure they aren't synced to another device as you try and sync them with your Switch or it won't find them. I had my Beats synced to my phone for example and the Switch would not connect until I unpaired my Beats on my phone.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it with my AirPods and it works. I can see...err...hear why some people might complain about delay, but it hasn't bothered me one bit.

I can't help but feel this post is once again petty console warring.

Don't 3rd party games like Fortnite, Quake, and Warframe support direct voice chat out of the box for Switch?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

I mean the solution as it is right now for headset usage is fine right? What do you mean this isn't how voice chat is handled on every other platform?

41+pjoFaZLL.jpg

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil

Seems to me you're unaware neither the PS4 and the PS5 support bt headphones. Or any Xbox for that matter.

"Since the PS3" implies it's still ongoing, which is false.

Oct 26, 2017
How do I get game audio (not chat) over Bluetooth on PlayStation without adapters/cables?
I would love to know because I bought a pair thinking it would work but everything I read says otherwise

Jun 26, 2021
I tested out the feature, and after a pairing and a quick reset of the headset (initial pairing had truly awful latency), I have to say I am impressed. I cannot believe what a big difference it makes, from a physical standpoint, to not be hard wired to the damn switch while it handheld mode. I know this sounds funny as we were all using wireless headsets as far back as 2006ish. It feels so much better to play. Volume is fine, latency is not bad at all (again, I had to reset once and it was fine after), and overall it feels like a feature that should have been there from the start. I am truly ready to start using Switch more in handheld mode.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Tried this out quickly with a bit of menu navigation and Quake this morning. Put me in the camp who finds the latency really off-putting.

Entirely expected, though. Switch only has BT 4.x so low latency codecs were never an option. With that in mind, nice to have the option for those who are less sensitive even if it's not for me.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Wow

IMO bluetooth isn't great for gaming. Because of the lag. And bluetooth pairing is annoying. Personally I think headphones with wireless dongle is better, that's what I use.

Still, I think it's great they added the option. Most people probably don't care about the lag, and it's great to have it just as a convenience.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Tried it with my Galaxy Buds+. Latency was fine; played Voez on default calibration without issues. My only hangup is that it doesn't play nice with Sword and Shield due to the forced local play by default. Shame that it's my most played game.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I tested out the feature, and after a pairing and a quick reset of the headset (initial pairing had truly awful latency), I have to say I am impressed. I cannot believe what a big difference it makes, from a physical standpoint, to not be hard wired to the damn switch while it handheld mode. I know this sounds funny as we were all using wireless headsets as far back as 2006ish. It feels so much better to play. Volume is fine, latency is not bad at all (again, I had to reset once and it was fine after), and overall it feels like a feature that should have been there from the start. I am truly ready to start using Switch more in handheld mode.
But would you feel comfortable playing your Switch in handheld mode knowing that the OLED model is going to have much better quality?

I literally stopped playing my Switch when the OLED was announced. Can't keep playing on a commoner's LCD screen.

Oct 26, 2017
Tried it with my Galaxy Buds+. Latency was fine; played Voez on default calibration without issues. My only hangup is that it doesn't play nice with Sword and Shield due to the forced local play by default. Shame that it's my most played game.
Eh reading that it turns off during local wireless doesn't sound great, I wonder if the OLED model changes anything regarding that, it would be convenient timing.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. There's noticeable latency (I don't think they're using a LL codec) and it doesn't work while local communication is active, so you can't play Pokémon SwSh (they have local communication permanently active).

It's adequate for people who don't already have a dongle, but I think I'll stick to mine.

Oct 27, 2017
Tried it with my Galaxy Buds+ and it had about 0.5-1 second of lag. Audio quality seems fine.

Some here have reported no lag using the same headset so I'm not sure what's going on.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
My beats studio buds are paired but sound awful. Buzzing and distorted. Powerbeats Pro sounded fine, if a little low volume for my taste, even at max. Low volume limit is set to off.

Last edited:

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good first step, but I'm waiting for fully functional voice chat using a bluetooth headset.

Anything about Switch hardware that would prevent such a thing from happening?

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Tried it with my Galaxy Buds+ and it had about 0.5-1 second of lag. Audio quality seems fine.

Some here have reported no lag using the same headset so I'm not sure what's going on.
I haven't seen anyone else with Buds+ comment. Plenty of Galaxy Buds Pro users that are happy though. For what it's worth, there is very slight latency with my Buds+, but not enough to be distracting unless I'm intentionally trying to notice it.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
It's fine. There's noticeable latency (I don't think they're using a LL codec) and it doesn't work while local communication is active, so you can't play Pokémon SwSh (they have local communication permanently active).

It's adequate for people who don't already have a dongle, but I think I'll stick to mine.
You can play SwSh with BT headphones, but you need to connect to the internet under Y-Comm, and then reconnect your headphones. It's clunky, especially because you get disconnected from the servers for sitting in the Switch's home menu too long.