• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
3rd update:

There was a studio Saizensen stream two hours ago, they showed the TGS 2019 trailer for Umihara Kawase BaZooKa.

Gematsu has clipped that part of the stream so here is the trailer:

2nd Update:

Thanks to Gematsu for translating:

Umihara Kawase BaZooKa!! (title tentative) and will launch for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam in summer 2020, publisher Success Corporation announced at Tokyo Game Show 2019. It will support Japanese, English, and Chinese language options.

Umihara Kawase BaZooKa!! is a "rubbering battle action" game with support for up to four players in online multiplayer. It will feature original playable characters in addition to Success and Studio Saizensen characters from games like Sayonara Umihara Kawase, Doki Doki Poyacchio, and Cotton.

Update:

So the new game is called Umihara Kawase BaZooKa!!

Original:

Thanks to Gematsu for translating.

(The picture in the following tweet hints what will be revealed for the new title)
Source:

Gematsu:

Success Corporation has announced a new Umihara Kawase game for PlayStation 4 and Switch.

First footage of the game will be shown during the "Umihara Kawase Special Stage" event at Tokyo Game Show 2019 on September 12 at 15:00 JST. The stage event will also feature a first look at the PlayStation 4 version of Umihara Kawase Fresh! due out in 2020. Umihara Kawase Fresh! first launched for Switch in April.

Note, there's already a thread on the PS4 port of Umihara Kawase Fresh!

Last edited:

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Still feels weird to me to see how Umihara grown from something very obscure (outside Japan) to this very productive franchise. I'm happy with this, I think all of them has been pretty nice, yet for me the first two titles are the best by far.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this will follow in Fresh's footsteps, or trend more towards the classic games?

Until they improve the game design from Fresh! I'd prefer the classic games.

Also makes me wonder if this new title is directed by Kiyoshi Sakai because he only had a support role in Umihara Kawase Fresh!

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's fast. Especially for a series we just said "Sayonara" to a couple of years ago. Not complaining though, I enjoyed Fresh.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Still feels weird to me to see how Umihara grown from something very obscure (outside Japan) to this very productive franchise. I'm happy with this, I think all of them has been pretty nice, yet for me the first two titles are the best by far.

Toshinobu Kondo-san was at AnimeExpo this year, and seeing him do these full color drawings for so many people there to support the series was crazy. Most people that sign stuff there are going to be doing signatures, and that's it. Meanwhile he brought like tons of colored markers and did these elaborate pictures. It was crazy!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda like Shantae.

Obviously that means they should do a crossover.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't been looking but I haven't seen much indication that Fresh sold particularly well, even in Japan, but I don't suppose that game in particular cost a lot to make, either.

I don't hate Fresh and would welcome another stab at that format but I am curious to see what they've got coming. My gut says this one won't even be an action game.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
As a big fan of the series I'm really happy to see it continue. That said, an announcement of a new game this quickly is surprising.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the open world structure of Fresh and would prefer if they stick with this style.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The best part of Fresh! is the very beginning where you're testing the boundaries of the world and seeing how far you can go or just exploring, but you can tell that the mission structure and the cooking system and so on were them struggling to find things for people to "do" in the open world and they didn't really add anything--and, to be fair, adding anything at all to a game like this without ruining it would be really tough, so I get why the additional systems are as basic as they are and I have no idea what they could even do to make it more fun besides just making the world really big.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That's really cool, I still haven't tried Fresh!
I doubt Sakai will direct it though. And like everyone else, crossing fingers it's not Nicalis again in charge of it in the West. Please.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Not even done with Fresh yet. Happy for more though.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Is that the first screenshot for the new game? If you zoom in on that bottom left image on the flyer for the new game, it looks like there's four players on screen with health bars. Could be a Smash-like MP mode.

Good catch, I also didn't notice the Steam logo on the bottom of that magazine.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Is that the first screenshot for the new game? If you zoom in on that bottom left image on the flyer for the new game, it looks like there's four players on screen with health bars. Could be a Smash-like MP mode.
Does look like it-

umihara.jpg

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
There was no livestream unfortunately.

So the new game is called Umihara Kawase BaZooKa!!

New game details
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to Gematsu for translating:

Umihara Kawase BaZooKa!! (title tentative) and will launch for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam in summer 2020, publisher Success Corporation announced at Tokyo Game Show 2019. It will support Japanese, English, and Chinese language options.

Umihara Kawase BaZooKa!! is a "rubbering battle action" game with support for up to four players in online multiplayer. It will feature original playable characters in addition to Success and Studio Saizensen characters from games like Sayonara Umihara Kawase, Doki Doki Poyacchio, and Cotton.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* don't know that. Too bad, what about previous game (Fresh or something), is it traditional platformer?

Umihara Kawase Fresh! Which is coming to PS4 and is already out on Switch is them changing the formula into a metroidvania style game which has a mixed reception.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I think I called a genre switch in the other thread, it was the only rationale I could come up with for releasing another game so soon.

Oct 25, 2017
"e-sports!?" indeed

wonder what the single player side of things will look like, whether it has platforming stages at all or if it's just an arcade mode