• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
I think the issue is that so many contemporary setting JRPGs are just...stock anime high school archetypes arranged in slightly different patterns. Over and over and over again.

Like what about a turn-based RPG set in the suburbs that isn't about high school students or high school life? Or an RPG about young adults in the awkward zone between college and the 9-to-5 working world? Why does it always have to be high school students cribbing from the same list of character cliches as every other game?
Honestly I think it might be a sorta perpetual thing like comics where no console centric dev makes games about demographics other than 15-30 something straight white American or Japanese guys outside like Nintendo (also targets kids and in some cases more feminine folks) and like one team at Square (Kingdom Hearts apparently has a rather high female attach rate according to the Extra Credits folks) So the execs go "we need to appeal to the only demo that plays games here...15-30 somthing white/Japanese guys".

what is a super big topic among both sides of this age bracket? High school. Eitheir as a form of self insertion or nostalgia.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
this project has me very curious and being a fan of Megaten, this should be the kinda shit that's right up my alley. will look out for it!

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I was searching for it, and Eiji Ishida who typically runs with Mitsuru Hirata (he co-directed Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Strange Journey with him, and again, was on tons of SMT as a game and battle system designer), was interviewed around the release of Strange Journey Redux about game ideas he's working on, and there was this:
Eiji Ishida: Yes, if it's possible, I'd like to create a continuation of this game, but lately I've been wanting to try creating a story with a setting that is more like a slice of life. Perhaps something like a secret academy where demon tamer students gather would be interesting.
I cannot answer concerning what we have lined up for the future, but as I answered earlier, I do daydream about different possibilities. Some of those include having one take place in space, or making one take place in Hell and the protagonist is a low-class demon who strives to become the commander of Hell's army. Either way, these may be fun ideas to pursue.

Again, it's probably not them, since they're both high up and presumably able to do mostly whatever they want at Atlus within reason, but would be interesting.

Jul 24, 2018
Honestly I think it might be a sorta perpetual thing like comics where no console centric dev makes games about demographics other than 15-30 something straight white American or Japanese guys outside like Nintendo (also targets kids and in some cases more feminine folks) and like one team at Square (Kingdom Hearts apparently has a rather high female attach rate according to the Extra Credits folks) So the execs go "we need to appeal to the only demo that plays games here...15-30 somthing white/Japanese guys".

what is a super big topic among both sides of this age bracket? High school. Eitheir as a form of self insertion or nostalgia.
It could also be that college life isn't as interesting as high school life in Japan as it is in the West. You don't live in dorms, you live alone, and it doesn't seem like they have that much free time compared to the high school days. I know that working in Japan is rigorous if not downright exhausting with they it is looked down upon for you to take time off. It's possible that they don't want video games to reflect that but then again Atlus did make Catherine. More games JRPGs about audits would be great.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Wait, is this "new school" RPG as in trying something new, or "new" school RPG, literally being set in a school.

I sincerely hope the former.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Funny you say that, as a co-worker keeps harping at me with the whole "Why aren't there any JRPG's where you travel the world in a medieval fantasy setting? What is up with this real world high school bullshit?!"

It's like you aren't allowed to diversify if you don't want to do the Dungeons and Dragons fluff (which has been old hat long in the days of the Ultima series), so I'm always confused why some people are against with RPG's that want to try a contemporary setting.
For me it's less about a 'contemporary setting' and more that the 'fantasy high school' stuff with all the attendant tropes and cliches around combining exams and teen drama and social links and the class dynamic of a whole cast the same age with RPG combat etc isn't exactly anything fresh either. Not after Persona, Trails of Cold Steel (x4), Valkyria 2, Fire Emblem TH, Caligula, Tokyo Xanadu etc etc, and regardless of whether those schools are in a contemporary setting or not.

I'm all for RPGs in fresh, 'real world' settings, I'm looking forward to Labyrinth of Yomi, a dungeon crawl set in the 1970s, and SMTV itself. Just not school settings which are almost as tired as riffing on Tolkien at this moment in time, given how much of the last decade has been spent rehashing it over and over again.

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Almost seems pointless them leaving Atlus to make another school setting RPG, really. Although if it's more Persona 1/SMT if... style then that style isn't as prominent in modern Atlus, I guess.

The setting doesn't really matter, just depends on how it's done, the battle system and the art style.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and it'll look surprisingly compelling, but... not super optimistic about that. I like Persona in spite of the school setting, not because of it.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
maybe this will target adults and the school is college ha ha wouldn't it be neat to have a game like persona that wasn't about children

ha ha ha

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Most slice of life stuff is a miss for me for games except for Persona and I love slice of life anime.

Not really looking for another modern world RPG but I hope this is something good if its coming from SMT devs.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Funny you say that, as a co-worker keeps harping at me with the whole "Why aren't there any JRPG's where you travel the world in a medieval fantasy setting? What is up with this real world high school bullshit?!"

It's like you aren't allowed to diversify if you don't want to do the Dungeons and Dragons fluff (which has been old hat long in the days of the Ultima series), so I'm always confused why some people are against with RPG's that want to try a contemporary setting.
I don't think it's the contemporary setting that is the issue but high school dating crap that too often dips deep into pedo stuff. Bring all the contemporary RPGs with adult casts (who aren't hyper-sexualized & objectified, especially women). I don't think anyone has issues with those.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Is it going to be old school ? I want to know if it will be a new old school school RPG.

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
I just hope it's more interesting than the Lost Child, a recent SMT-like dungeon crawler that everyone seemed to forget about.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
For the wording, I get that staff that worked on Atlus left and formed a smaller studio, like others mentioned in the thread.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is going to be one of things where if they just revealed the actual game there would be a lot less interest, because it's probably going to be small scope, low budget, not a console game, etc.

For me it's less about a 'contemporary setting' and more that the 'fantasy high school' stuff with all the attendant tropes and cliches around combining exams and teen drama and social links and the class dynamic of a whole cast the same age with RPG combat etc isn't exactly anything fresh either. Not after Persona, Trails of Cold Steel (x4), Valkyria 2, Fire Emblem TH, Caligula, Tokyo Xanadu etc etc, and regardless of whether those schools are in a contemporary setting or not.

I'm all for RPGs in fresh, 'real world' settings, I'm looking forward to Labyrinth of Yomi, a dungeon crawl set in the 1970s, and SMTV itself. Just not school settings which are almost as tired as riffing on Tolkien at this moment in time, given how much of the last decade has been spent rehashing it over and over again.

Final Fantasy VIII did it back in 1999.😏

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Final Fantasy VIII did it back in 1999.😏
True, it's not like 'school in computer games' is anything new, I was playing 'School Daze' on an Amstrad in the 80s :D

It's more that this particular setting with all the attendant tropes has been very popular in the genre over the last decade or so. So a claim that it's somehow interchangable with both 'contemporary' and 'fresh' doesn't work for me when it's a pretty tired concept, even if it isn't as tired as 'quasi-medieval castles and swords' etc. I'm down to see pretty much any contemporary setting that isn't fantasy high school though.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
True, it's not like 'school in computer games' is anything new, I was playing 'School Daze' on an Amstrad in the 80s :D

It's more that this particular setting with all the attendant tropes has been very popular in the genre over the last decade or so. So a claim that it's somehow interchangable with both 'contemporary' and 'fresh' doesn't work for me when it's a pretty tired concept, even if it isn't as tired as 'quasi-medieval castles and swords' etc. I'm down to see pretty much any contemporary setting that isn't fantasy high school though.

I think fantasy high school is almost more common than quasi-medieval stuff now tbh

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Cautiously interested. Hoping the reveal next week along with platforms reveals if you can play the game with a female MC.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
School setting is an instant no thanks for me. We have so many high school student JRPGs nowadays. :/
Yeah, would love more games that deviated from this, specially if they are going with a modern setting. Zanki Zero or Root Letter explored adult life after higschool and Yakuza games don't need to rely on that either.
Wish they'd actually enjoy adulthood enough to explore it instead of feeling restricted by it.

Ballerman

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
sounds exciting. there's surprisingly few school rpgs outside of Persona and like Cold Steel considering how massive the school thing is in Japan

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
School RPG - Hashino's nonsense = Tentative excitement

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

Those games you listed are all really good and people like them.
There are still way more RPGs not set in school than ones set in school.

I don't get the complaint.