• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So basically the difference between this and the retroUSB AVS linked above is a) lower output resolution (but I assume everything's being upscaled from the original NES output anyways) and b) better case/connector materials? If they both have FPGAs they presumably perform the same otherwise, right? (you can probably tell I don't know much about this stuff)

It's not using the same core to run it, so there could be minor differences between the two in how well it runs games, but for all intents and purposes, it'll probably run games with no noticeable difference for a majority of the the people using it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
So basically the difference between this and the retroUSB AVS linked above is a) lower output resolution (but I assume everything's being upscaled from the original NES output anyways) and b) better case/connector materials? If they both have FPGAs they presumably perform the same otherwise, right? (you can probably tell I don't know much about this stuff)
The AVS does interpolation in its newer firmware updates. I'm not 100% but it doesn't appear the nt Mini does interpolation (I only really turn it on for Zelda II, though).
The nt Mini has CopyNES functionality though, which is really the only reason I want one. And you don't need an Everdrive or Powerpak since you can load roms off the SD card if you're running the "homebrew" hack thingy on it, I'm pretty sure (it's been a while and I'm going off memory so I could be wrong on that. Don't think I am though)

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I sold my original unit in August because I couldn't say "no" to $1500 for something I wasn't using all that much. Glad to be able to purchase another one.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone balking at the price might want to consider this as an alternative:

AVS - retroUSB

Package contents: AVS console Full color box Full color manual 6' HDMI cable USB A to USB mini B cable 5v USB power adapter - USA wall plug only* *Console is powered via 5v USB. Worldwide compatibility with nearly any existing powered USB port / USB power adapter! .collapsible {...

It's FPGA too, but limited to 720p.

I have the AVS and love it. I might even buy the LE AVS.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I have the AVS and love it. I might even buy the LE AVS.
LMAO, as much as I complain about the price of the nt Mini, I have to admit, I've thought about that in the past too. I'd never get one though.

edit: coincidentally, I was just watching this video last night.

edit: this video is more interesting (Part 1 isn't really at all)
Part 3
www.youtube.com

Kevtris plays some games on the AVS - Pt3 NES Nintendo

More talking and playing games on the AVS.Be sure to LIKE and SUBSCRIBE! It really helps!Visit my website for more info: www.game-tech.usEmail = game.tech.us...

Last edited:

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
In celebration I dusted off my OG (non-mini) NT and still works beautifully! Just gotta sell it between now and July to justify springing for the NT Mini. Lol

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
I wanted to get one but it says it doesn't ship to my address (USA). So weird, it's never happened to me before, maybe it's not meant to be.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to get one but it says it doesn't ship to my address (USA). So weird, it's never happened to me before, maybe it's not meant to be.
Are you in Alaska or Hawaii or something? Analogue definitely ships to the US; they're based in the US. Have you tried contacting them? Maybe you put your address in wrong?

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Preordered this immediately. I wasn't going to let this one slip by again. I looked at the ebay prices a month ago since I had given up hope on this getting rereleased and was shocked to see the prices. I live in California and had no issues getting an order in.

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
These things are beautiful! I'm passing since I installed a HiDef NES kit in my top loader a few months back and I'm hella happy with it. Great alternative if you want original system aesthetics, but you need pro soldering skills/equipment to install or go through a trusted modder.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised these are still available for pre-order. Figured it wouldn't last more than a couple of minutes. Must be producing a healthy amount.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
They certainly need a minimum to make the production run worth it.
Not to mention it sounds like this has some form factor and UI improvements, which adds up too. Think the constant requests and secondhand prices made them feel they could take the risk with a bigger run and make it better too.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
$500 price tag is making me want to get an everdrive.

The retro usb would probably be a lot more popular if you could sideload "backups" like the mini nt (unless you can, and my googling has been bad this afternoon?)

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The retro usb would probably be a lot more popular if you could sideload "backups" like the mini nt (unless you can, and my googling has been bad this afternoon?)
No, there's no SD card slot so no storage for that kind of thing.

Sucks the leaderboards are down since NintendoAge went away (unless that started up again using some other kind of host or something. I haven't really been following). I was holding strong on my Number 4 spot for Super C for a few years when NintendoAge got bought. I have no idea how the guy in first got there, it took me 4-and-a-half hours of straight playing to get enough points just to get to fourth. That person had double the points I did.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Anyone balking at the price might want to consider this as an alternative:

AVS - retroUSB

Package contents: AVS console Full color box Full color manual 6' HDMI cable USB A to USB mini B cable 5v USB power adapter - USA wall plug only* *Console is powered via 5v USB. Worldwide compatibility with nearly any existing powered USB port / USB power adapter! .collapsible {...

It's FPGA too, but limited to 720p.

Just a shame that its so fucking hideous.

Just ordered mine, $550 for a nes is a bit eye watering but Ive been after one of these for a while and wasn't going to let this chance pass me by.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Just a shame that its so fucking hideous.

Just ordered mine, $550 for a nes is a bit eye watering but Ive been after one of these for a while and wasn't going to let this chance pass me by.
For me, at least it is taking some of its design from the NES just like how the Supet NT and Mega SG pay some homage to their respective consoles. The NT Mini doesn't and I don't really care for how it looks so I prefer the look of the AVS over the NT Mini.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I still think it's very likely that they're going to be doing a plastic catch-all 8bit console with that "Analogue 8" trademark they did.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
I love my Super NT and Mega SG, but I can't go as high a price as that. I was honestly hoping they'd make an updated model made with cheaper materials/paired-back features with a price in line with the 16-bit consoles. Hopefully this doesn't mean that isn't in the cards.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like one but that is way too rich for my blood. I can live with emulation on my shield for now. I love my mega sg and super nt though.

If I didn't have more pressing expenses I'd probably let it eat at my conscience and eventually cave and buy it.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in. I have and love the Super NT and Mega SG, which are fantastic pieces of kit, so I had to complete the set. Now just waiting for the Pocket.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a Retro AVS months ago because I thought this wouldn't get another print. Still, that price man, yeouch, perhaps it's just better for me like that or I probably would've ended up buying one. My self control sucks with this kind of limited stuff. :lol

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
It's still available for pre-order. So, either not that limited, or not that wanted. /shrugs

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered. It's a ton of money, but I'm very excited; I haven't had a way to play my NES carts for a while, and the CopyNES function is a great bonus

that said, if the rumored 8 ever comes out, I will probably sell it.

veras

Oct 27, 2017
Do they charge for these right away or at shipping and can you cancel the preorder?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping to hear about the Analogue Pocket. the only one I am really interested in :P

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit of a bonkers price, even if I'd likely be able to resell it for more later down the road. I'll roll the dice and wait for a cheaper plastic model without analog outputs.