• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't know why anyone is surprised by the price, it's what the black edition originally cost. The only difference this time is they're not selling the $50 cheaper silver one.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Sure, but aluminum and outputs don't justify $310 in upcharge (or $260 if you buy the separate DAC.) Is it just because people will pay for it?
It's not just a choice between analog and digital out like their other consoles with the DAC, it's simultaneous analog and digital. Also, the case is fucking expensive. Not thinking it's worth it has nothing to do with what it actually costs.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
This is what it cost when it was originally available. This was back when Analouge was primarily about absurdly expensive boutique retro systems
Sure, I get that - and at the time I imagine the price tag was justified by the R&D and manufacturing. I'm just confused about what the current price is doing at that level - is it just because of hype? Because it's a Limited Edition, so they know people will be willing to pay? It seems like the actual cost to manufacture at this point should be significantly lower, though obviously I'm not an expert, and thus be reflected in the price - unless the answer is "they want to maximize profit" which would absolutely make sense. It's mostly shock that the ask is still so large based on their experience and presumed sourcing and supply chains at this point in the company's life.

Edit: to clarify, this isn't a question of "is it worth it," it's a question about what the reasoning behind the price having not dropped is.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
My NES finally kicked the bucket, but I'm not paying 500 bucks for something like this. I'll just get a modded top loader.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I get that - and at the time I imagine the price tag was justified by the R&D and manufacturing. I'm just confused about what the current price is doing at that level - is it just because of hype? Because it's a Limited Edition, so they know people will be willing to pay? It seems like the actual cost to manufacture at this point should be significantly lower, though obviously I'm not an expert, and thus be reflected in the price - unless the answer is "they want to maximize profit" which would absolutely make sense. It's mostly shock that the ask is still so large based on their experience and presumed sourcing and supply chains at this point in the company's life.
This is an even more limited run, so why would it be cheaper? It's a full aluminum body, it is definitely a premium product.

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
This is an even more limited run, so why would it be cheaper? It's a full aluminum body, it is definitely a premium product.
As I said, it could be cheaper if their experience with manufacturing and sourcing for their other systems has (as one would presume, based on the cost of those products and offsetting for the DAC and the price of aluminum etc) has lowered the cost to manufacture. Whether it's a "premium product" doesn't really enter into it - all of Analogue's stuff is.

Like the answer could literally be "it still costs us $400 per box to make one of these." That could very well be it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting anything new of course but would be a lot more interested in a would be Nt-micro instead of a Nt-mini. Even with the mister I just built.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Edit: to clarify, this isn't a question of "is it worth it," it's a question about what the reasoning behind the price having not dropped is.
Because of this. 😆

oZw8m6El.jpg

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As I said, it could be cheaper if their experience with manufacturing and sourcing for their other systems has (as one would presume, based on the cost of those products and offsetting for the DAC and the price of aluminum etc) has lowered the cost to manufacture. Whether it's a "premium product" doesn't really enter into it - all of Analogue's stuff is.

This is a limited re-run of a previously discontinued product. It was never going to be cheaper

There will possibly be a cheaper newer NT Mini in the future, (Mysterious patent for something called Analouge 8 hints at it) But nothing is confirmed

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
This is a limited re-run of a previously discontinued product. It was never going to be cheaper

There will possibly be a cheaper newer NT Mini in the future, (Mysterious patent for something called Analouge 8 hints at it) But nothing is confirmed
Okay, so as I posited then it's because they know they can maximize revenue due to people being willing to buy it. Totally reasonable business move. I dunno why this was so hard to get to as an answer.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
They took down the site. I guess it wasn't ready to go yet.
I hope they release the firmware update for the old models. It says they have a new UI and stuff.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They took down the site. I guess it wasn't ready to go yet.
I hope they release the firmware update for the old models. It says they have a new UI and stuff.
Maybe they're prepping to move it from staging to live...
And here I am, 25 minutes from walking into a 3-hour meeting.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reminder: the scanlines are BAD. I say this as a former Mini owner and current Mega SG, Super NT, OSSC, and MiSTer owner, and a future Pocket owner.

Buy only for analog out or chunky pixel.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder: the scanlines are BAD. I say this as a former Mini owner and current Mega SG, Super NT, OSSC, and MiSTer owner, and a future Pocket owner.

Bad how? Can't you tweak them to basically whatever you heart desires? This has also been updated, so let's not condemn before we have the full picture.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bad how? Can't you tweak them to basically whatever you heart desires? This has also been updated, so let's not condemn before we have the full picture.

They ran out of FPGA space to do the nicer hybrid processing that their newer products use (which still has a way to go compared to OSSC and especially MiSTer). They also have really hard edges on the top and bottom, no rounding.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I personally use my Nt Mini in analogue mode with the OSSC, but I know that isn't an option for everyone.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Curious about this as well. Not expecting anything crazy but first sign of any sort of firmware update in a very long time.

The relevant bit from the taken down page.

Nt mini v2 features a new and perfected NES cartridge slot, updated UI, branding, packaging, and includes a new 8BitDo 2.4g controller for NES in the box. Otherwise it's the same Nt mini you know and love. Available one last time. Better than ever.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017

their scanlines look decent in 720p. Reminds me of the look of my PVM.

watch it be a final NT Mini run before they release the plastic $200 version with no analog out.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, just got the email about this.

I want one for NES game ripping, but 500 bucks? I'll stick with my AVS and maybe grab a CopyNES and figure out how to get it installed in my toaster sometime.

Maybe there's something to it being "retired." Hopefully that means a cheaper successor is coming too.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
WTF wouldn't they use cheaper housing and sell it for $189 like the Super Nt and Mega Sg? $499 is too much.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
This fool and his money have been parted.

One way for Analogue's shipping prices to become reasonable is when their products cost this much. Shipping was only $24!

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe later there will be a stripped down version.
It's almost certainly because of the aluminum enclosure, analog out, and limited manufacturing run and not secondhand prices. Not saying it ain't way too expensive, because it is, but those aftermarket prices happened after this thing went on sale for $450-500.

Mar 27, 2019
Ordered.

Price is a little steep but this will potentially allow me to sell me RGB modded AV Famicom, and even framemiester.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone balking at the price might want to consider this as an alternative:

AVS - retroUSB

Package contents: AVS console Full color box Full color manual 6' HDMI cable USB A to USB mini B cable 5v USB power adapter - USA wall plug only* *Console is powered via 5v USB. Worldwide compatibility with nearly any existing powered USB port / USB power adapter! .collapsible {...

It's FPGA too, but limited to 720p.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
So basically the difference between this and the retroUSB AVS linked above is a) lower output resolution (but I assume everything's being upscaled from the original NES output anyways) and b) better case/connector materials? If they both have FPGAs they presumably perform the same otherwise, right? (you can probably tell I don't know much about this stuff)

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Just got the email, but I just can't at that price ( whatever the technical reasons that justify it). The Mega SG+ Super NIT can both be had for over $100 less.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Anyone balking at the price might want to consider this as an alternative:

AVS - retroUSB

Package contents: AVS console Full color box Full color manual 6' HDMI cable USB A to USB mini B cable 5v USB power adapter - USA wall plug only* *Console is powered via 5v USB. Worldwide compatibility with nearly any existing powered USB port / USB power adapter! .collapsible {...

It's FPGA too, but limited to 720p.

I bought one of these from Jeremy Parish second-hand back in the NeoGAF days and it's been been a real treat.