• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

Intel%20SC19%20News_Embargo_Nov.%2017-page-009.jpg

Intel%20SC19%20News_Embargo_Nov.%2017-page-007.jpg

Ever since Intel hired Raja Koduri from AMD's Graphics division, the ambition in which Intel has been assembling its discrete GPU push has made for a strong injection of competition into this industry. Today a modern graphics architecture needs to be many things to many people: low powered for small chips, high performance for gaming and VR, perform sizable compute for HPC, and detail with different types of convolution and matrix math as AI becomes more important. Intel has already disclosed that its future products will bear its new 'Xe' architecture (that's a superscript e), and that they plan to cover the spectrum all the way from integrated graphics to high performance computing, but that's about all we have been told.

As part of the keynote speech today, Koduri has explained that Intel will have a single 'Xe' architecture but multiple sub-architectures / microarchitectures (or however you want to characterize it in a GPU) in order to address different parts of the market. The ultra-mobile parts of the product stack might focus on small die size and high efficiency libraries, whereas a compute product might have high double-precision performance and run high-performance libraries. Some variants might have the equivalent of tensor accelerators for AI, or some variants might have bigger cache variants to manage specific customer needs. Rather than a 'one size fits all' approach, it appears that Intel are going to stretch Xe as wide as they need to in order to accommodate as many customers as possible.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Curious how competitive it'll be in a consumer facing way, especially at varying price/performance points. Still at this rate more competition is good, especially in turning a 2way market into a 3way market.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i know some of those words. so basically, how many gamecubes taped together? how many FPS in RDR2 using X1X settings?

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
2021?! I thought they'd originally said they were coming in 2020?

Those are Intel's 10nm GPUs launching in mid-2020, supposedly. If the rumors are true about them, then it would seem disappointing.

But now according to "industry sources" of DigiTimes, Intel will be launching its first Xe GPUs in mid-2020, packing GDDR6 memory and at least one model with just 25W TDP. Intel's new Xe-based graphics cards will reportedly be made on the 10nm process, but don't expect to be playing Control maxed out on it just yet -- it won't be beating NVIDIA's flagship GeForce RTX 2080 Ti... hell, it probably won't beat AMD's Radeon RX 5700 XT. I've been hearing from my own sources (a couple of them just to be sure) that the first Intel Xe graphics card will be a developer kit of sorts, and not a full-fledged consumer-facing product ready to take on NVIDIA and AMD. Intel doesn't have a stable decade+ of graphics card releases, architectures, and what I think is the most important -- drivers, software, and game developer support.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Man I really, REALLY hope that this is a good product and that it's not overpriced.
The GPU prices need to be reined in, the near monopoly that Nvidia has on the high end parts is not doing us any favors.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I really, REALLY hope that this is a good product and that it's not overpriced.
The GPU prices need to be reigned in, the near monopoly that Nvidia has on the high end parts is not doing us any favors.
Yeah this is my hope. I wont necessarily be buying an Intel gpu, but if they can make any form of dent in the prices will do me a lot of favors. Prices of the cards are getting to the point where each time I look to upgrade, what I can afford is a marginal improvement

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
2020 is looking like a refresh of current offerings, so 2021 is likely to be the year to upgrade your GPU if you're in the market for RTX and beyond (like me hoping to upgrade my 1080 Ti).
That's exactly what it's looking like for me as well. Going with a 3900x in a few months and by the time 2021 hits hopefully reasonable performance and good competition will have the GPU market stabalize. Even the most expensive card feels like a major rip off with the added cost of Ray tracing.

At the very least I'll be able to couple the Ryzen with a good GPU. I'm also making this year my memory upgrade as well with some 3600 dimms.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Intel knocks this out of the park and it proves extremely successful. GPU market is trash and needs a major shakeup. We got one in the CPU market with Ryzen.

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah as many people have said, this product is not intended for gaming use, although they also do have those coming too and sooner.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Finally we need as much competition in the gpu space as possible it's clear Nvidia can not be left alone at top if we care at all about driving performance at all without paying double what it used to cost for equivalent performance by year.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
2020 is looking like a refresh of current offerings, so 2021 is likely to be the year to upgrade your GPU if you're in the market for RTX and beyond (like me hoping to upgrade my 1080 Ti).

I picked up a 2070 OC Super when building the new PC as I'm still 1440/144hz with GS. Will do me until the next refresh which as you say will prob be 2021. By then hoping a high refresh 4K monitor will be more of a reality.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
On one end I'm excited for a third player.

On the other I'm looking at Intel in the CPU space, and believe they'll just be another Nvidia.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
On one end I'm excited for a third player.

On the other I'm looking at Intel in the CPU space, and believe they'll just be another Nvidia.

it seems really hard to break into graphics market. AMD/Nvidia build on tens if not hundreds of thousands of man years of iteration and a fortress of patents.

With every new thing that comes out about this it seems Intel is less likely to present what we're interested in, a discrete GPU consumer part that challenges AMD/Nvidia, anytime soon.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

So I'm sitting on my 1080 until some time in 2021? Not great, but I guess it's better than paying for the current crop of overpriced GPU hardware.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
2021... most likely only for enterprise.

I would not be surprised if consumer models for desktop use come out in 2022.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
well hey, the 1070 is a beast of a card. I've got Red Dead on pc running in 1440p at pretty high settings at a mostly consistent 48-55fps. Maybe this rig will be able to give me another year, haha

Same here, are you following Gamers Nexus optimizations or your own? I get 40-45 FPS (33 FPS as lowest in certain conditions) using their settings at 1440p

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I find it kind of funny people getting hyped from this article, when the chip probably costs good amount of millions to get and likely is built in VERY limited quantities. :D

1,000,000 teraflops is not cheap. :p