• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just a game skipping or unlocked everything? If it unlocks all the chapters to play I'll probably comeback just to skip where I quit (Starting route B)

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
So that's how you pronounce "Automata".. practically every YouTuber pronounces it differently, I assumed it was because it was never actually spoken aloud in-game, but I suppose we have it now.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
If he releases the video would it be considered spoiler? I haven't started this game yet just started Persona this game is next on my backlog

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
Insane it took this long to discover. And for a game that's on OC where the code is easily visible to modders/hackers, I am very surprised!

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Quite a few modern games have very well hidden codes left in them, even ones you would never expect to. By reverse engineering I found a cheat code in Detroit: Become Human that turns your character into a playable pidgeon lmao. But it requires setting your system clock to a specific date PLUS the Konami code

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised that many people didnt complete Nier Automata.
The different routes had me hooked and intrigued!
Is it? Most people don't even bother finishing games to begin with.

65765prj6r.png

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Ive seen cheats that were left in like that for testing reasons, since debug was no longer present on shipping builds. Youd be surprised how many games have a secret "Unlock all content" cheat.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly does reverse engineering mean in this context? I thought I understood the concept but trying to apply it to this just draws an absolute blank for me
I'm sure he'll make a video on it, but for software it usually means decompiling the source code and trying to figure out what lines of code do what.
He doesn't get the actual source, that's the text that programmers read and write. A compiler is used to turn source code into actual machine language, which is what he has (after applying console level protection removal hacks).

Lance here, is using tools to convert said machine language into something vaguely human readable. It does not have the names and labels and commentary that you get with source code. The tools can identify some common components, and the reverse-engineer can annotate, and improve the decompilation process iteratively, but it requires some particularly impressive talents and skills to be developed. I used to do this back on the ZX Spectrum to remove copy protection, and hunt in vain for infinite lives, but that was on a 40 year old machine. Tools are better now, but games are also much much bigger.

Massive respect here.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It could potentially be faked either way like you say, but as it stands, doing it offline is like 100x more difficult.

I would assume it's somewhat "faked" even online just because it wouldn't really work otherwise...

Like my assumption is the names + messages are all real. But it would only make sense to fake the "someone's ship dying = they won't ever show up for someone else" bit, because to keep the numbers up enough to do that for real you'd need a significant % of players to beat it without anyone getting destroyed.

Nov 1, 2017
I assumed the game just fakes it if you are offline.

TBH I assumed the game was always faking it.
When you say faking it are you talking about
the bit where other players' deleted save files are used to help the main player trying to complete the finish the game? I assume there is some trickery going on there cause i dont believe for a moment that there are more people out there sacrificing their precious save game they poured hours of gaming into than there are people who actually manage to reach the end. I figure it's symbolic.

I thought there might have been a downside for doing it online, so I tried to do it offline, and later on it's the most bs nonsense ever that I just said screw it and swapped to online because there was no way I could ever do it.
For some weird and unlucky reason my internet happened to cut out right as i got the end of Nier Automata and i was bashing my head against a brick wall trying to finish it. Couldn't work out what was going on. I did some searching to see if i was missing something and realised that the only reason the game was so difficult is because it lost its online connection and everything that supposed to happen at the end didn't as a result. I restarted my xbox, tried one more time and completed it straight away with "the help".

I wonder what they will do in 10 years time when they want to switch off the online component of Nier Automata? Maybe they have an update ready to push that will change things to enable offline completion.
Sidenote: The whole ending to Nier Automata and everything leading up to it is one of my favourite things in gaming. Well done Yoko Taro!

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Yep, that's him. He unlocked the frame rate first, which broke the game logic. Then he reverse engineered the DS3 patch to find all the game logic he needed to update to get the game to run correctly at 60FPS. Super impressive. Sony has no excuse not to release a PS5 60FPS patch.
I think their excuse is that they plan to charge us for a remaster.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
So if this unlocks Trophy Shop could one just perform this, then unlock all trophies via shop? I wouldn't mind uh... replaying Nier Automata on Xbox : )

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Literally first reply to the tweet

To be fair, that's about the lowest level answer he could've possibly given for how he figured it out. It's only slightly more meaningful than replying "a whole lot of work". I'm sure we'll get a real explanation eventually once he's written up about it or made a detailed video.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
So if this unlocks Trophy Shop could one just perform this, then unlock all trophies via shop? I wouldn't mind uh... replaying Nier Automata on Xbox : )
Considering where this skips you to, no, this would not allow for that.

the ending here deletes your save file, so you can't go back and do anything. My guess is this allows for people to beat the game if/when servers go offline, even though I'm pretty sure the game "fakes" the online component a bit.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Considering where this skips you to, no, this would not allow for that.

the ending here deletes your save file, so you can't go back and do anything. My guess is this allows for people to beat the game if/when servers go offline, even though I'm pretty sure the game "fakes" the online component a bit.
Unlike the first Nier, this one actually gives you a choice of if you want to do that.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it doesn't seem like this unlocks the trophy shop. Maybe I didn't load the correct chapter, but the "Strange Resistance Woman" is not selling trophies for me.
However, 15 story achievements do pop once you finish doing this.