• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is that something people were wanting?

Like not even being snarky, I've just never heard of a demand for this.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
No thanks. I don't care about Godzilla, but I don't like colorizing black and white movies. It always looks terrible. The colors never look natural.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm firmly in the 'it's a no from me' camp, but I can't deny the stills are striking.

Not striking in the way the original was intended to be though.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to watch this as a novelty. The stills to me look like paintings.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a curious novelty but that's all it is for me.

I'm also in the "dislikes colorization of B&W movies" side.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That's...random. But interesting! Curious to see more. My black-and-white Criterion disc will be safe.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all in. I'm not one who scoffs at this. I still have both of my Criterion versions. They're not being updated and replaced with color.

It's a good counter to my B&W settings for Shin Godzilla which is gorgeous.

My own offscreen shots from a couple years back:
20170806_211440qqsza9jjiy.jpg

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
but will it match the majesty of Cozzilla (Ittalian Godzilla) and it's Spectorama 70 technique? /s.

Jul 18, 2018
I'm all in. I'm not one who scoffs at this. I still have both of my Criterion versions. They're not being updated and replaced with color.

It's a good counter to my B&W settings for Shin Godzilla which is gorgeous.

My own offscreen shots from a couple years back:
omg, i need to re-watch this with B&W settings on, this looks even more gorgeous

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you - I didn't know about this and now my life is enriched. It's on YouTube, for the curious.

MoonsaultSlayer I'm in awe of your B&W Shin screens.
omg, i need to re-watch this with B&W settings on, this looks even more gorgeous
The movie is so well shot vs the Legendary Godzillas which are overly dark and muddy.

I'm no videophile but my trick was trying to match the original's style (and early B&W films at that where they fought with daylight) by putting contrast up and brightness down. Hard to see offscreen but I aimed for a grey bright day sky rather than bright white and made sure the night fire scene wasn't too bright losing detail in the glow of the flames or too dark in the shadows.