• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one?

• Classics

Votes: 67 27.5%
  • Metroidvania

Votes: 146 59.8%
  • Lords of Shadow style

Votes: 31 12.7%

• Total voters

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Voted classics aka super castlevania 4, but why not both.... As long as its not that 3d one.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Old school or Metroidvania, either way is fine. No sense in wishing for a good 3D Castlevania. It'll never happen.

Lords of Shadow is a better game than any Devil May Cry except for 3.

Combat, enemy and bosses are too poor for that distinction. Of the games based on The Divine Comedy it's better than DMC2 and Dante's Inferno, I'll give it that much.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A new Castlevania 2. I'm tired of the SotN/Metroid style. I want the CV2 style back.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
Castlevania is my favorite series so I'll take any style I can get at this point. Thankfully the Netflix show and Bloodstained have been great but it's time for a proper kick ass Castlevania.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Lords or even better, learn from the new God of War game and make it like that but huge grim gothic castle & world to explore.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I voted Classicvania, but I'd actually prefer a Metroidvania as long as it didn't involve any XP-style leveling or grinding for loot.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I want them to try something new. There's enough of metroidvanias out there already.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
People say no to dark souls but 1 was close to being a 3d version of SOTN. I think you can take pieces of dark souls 1 design philosophy and combine it with SOTN and get something great.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indie games is just another word for metroidvanias

For the love of god give me a classic style game

every 2d game being a metroidvania is like every 3D game being open world

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Both. I want what Order of Ecclesia did but on a far larger scale, like an entire Classicvania leading up to the castle with Castlevania itself bring the size of SotN.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
None of the above.

I want a long, path branching, player choosing, side scroller with multiple endings in similar vein to Castlevania 3 and Rondo of Blood traversing over all of Europe for hours, beautiful 2D (or cell shaded) animation by Arc System.

I'm tired of one castle (or inverted doppelgänger) Iga games... and 3D games never translated well.

Make that the Battle of 1999 game and I'd be in heaven.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Metroidvania for me, easy. I respect but never personally got into the classic style of Castlevania as much (always highly preferred Mega Man's style and mechanics) and Lords of Shadow didn't do it for me either.

I'd play Igavanias forever, though.

Waggles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of you don't remember how mediocre lords of shadow and its sequel are.

but hell, under a better studio? Absolutely.

Feb 21, 2019
I tell you.....and here me out.

Playing an open world in Transylvania (remake of Simon's Quest essentially) 3rd person, would be INCREDIBLE in the hands of the right developer. It would basically be The Witcher but a Belmont but with that Castlevania lore.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
3D but different from Shadows. I want a Fromsoft game damnit, or something that apes their style really well, Sekiro proved you can have platforming while keeping the overall Souls structure. Out of all of the presented options tho: classic, havent had one of these in a WHILE, tho Metroidvania would have more to prove in the post-Hollow Knight world.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
A castlevania without platforming sounds unfulfilling

I don't know how you got "no platforming" out of my post.

Bloodborne strikes an excellent balance in encounter design and difficulty. It has huge environments full of goodies to explore (like Iga games), but they often funnel you into very difficult, narrow encounters that require fast reflexes and multiple tries (like the classic games). It allows you to upgrade your stats and equip new items and weapons (like the Iga games) but the impact of those upgrades is, compared to the Iga games, muted, so it still demands a good deal of memorization and mastery (like the classic games).

Bloodborne rewards your progress, but never so much that it utterly trivializes the remaining challenges or encourages much grinding (since the rewards aren't big enough that grinding takes less time than just "getting good").

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
There were so many Igavania. Unless they successfully innovate, they should just update the classic style.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we just got bloodstained and the indie genre is basically just igavania clones. gimmie a new Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth