• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
The COVID-19 pandemic has been good for the wallets of the wealthy.

Some 573 people have joined the billionaire ranks since 2020, bringing the worldwide total to 2,668, according to an analysis released by Oxfam on Sunday. That means a new billionaire was minted about every 30 hours, on average, so far during the pandemic.

The report, which draws on data compiled by Forbes, looks at the rise of inequality over the past two years. It is timed to coincide with the kickoff of the annual World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Switzerland, a gathering of some of the wealthiest people and world leaders.

Billionaires have seen their total net worth soar by US$3.8 trillion, or 42%, to $12.7 trillion during the pandemic. A large part of the increase has been fueled by strong gains in the stock markets, which was aided by governments injecting money into the global economy to soften the financial blow of the coronavirus.

Much of the jump in wealth came in the first year of the pandemic. It then plateaued and has since dropped a bit, said Max Lawson, head of inequality policy at Oxfam.

At the same time, COVID-19, growing inequality and rising food prices could push as many as 263 million people into extreme poverty this year, reversing decades of progress, Oxfam said in a report released last month.

"I've never seen such a dramatic growth in poverty and growth in wealth at the same moment in history," Lawson said. "It's going to hurt a lot of people."

BENEFITING FROM HIGH PRICES

Consumers around the world are contending with the soaring cost of energy and food, but corporations in these industries and their leaders are benefiting from the rise in prices, Oxfam said.

Billionaires in the food and agribusiness sector have seen their total wealth increase by $382 billion, or 45%, over the past two years, after adjusting for inflation. Some 62 food billionaires were created since 2020.

Meanwhile, the net worth of their peers in the oil, gas and coal sectors jumped by $53 billion, or 24%, since 2020, after adjusting for inflation.

Forty new pandemic billionaires were created in the pharmaceutical industry, which has been at the forefront of the battle against COVID-19 and the beneficiary of billions in public funding.

The tech sector has spawned many billionaires, including seven of the 10 world's richest people, such as Telsa's Elon Musk, Amazon's Jeff Bezos and Microsoft's Bill Gates. These men increased their wealth by $436 billion to $934 billion over the past two years, after adjusting for inflation.

www.ctvnews.ca

A new billionaire has been minted nearly every day during the pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic has been good for the wallets of the wealthy. Some 573 people have joined the billionaire ranks since 2020, bringing the worldwide total to 2,668, according to an analysis released by Oxfam on Sunday. That means a new billionaire was minted about every 30 hours, on average...

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to all these new billionaires. I'll be joining you as soon as my period of temporary embarrassment ends as long as I work hard and try my best

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Fantastic, can't wait to see the trickle down economics kick into action now there's so many more rich people!

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Like seriously, has there been any studies or data to show exactly when such a massive hoarding of wealth within a small percentage of the population, will eventually reach a breaking point for overall normal living population masses' and their ability to get by somehow?

With cost of living, inequality, climate change impacts, etc, there is no way this trend can carry on sustainably for further decades.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. If I was in the billionaire business, I would think this was an ideal condition for me. I'd want things to continue

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I've been pulling on my bootstraps for a long time now. Not sure why I'm not a billionaire yet. I guess I need to work harder.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
We should have a "Here's todays new billionaire" and it's complete with names and what game they invested in as they climbed up as most fall downwards.

Would be a fun archive and exercise.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You see, dreams do come true, people can move up in this economy still.

The rest of y'all, don't worry about being able to afford college or buy a house or even be able to afford groceries and gas .

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
I wanna live in a society where being a billionaire isn't possible. The billionaire space race is insufferable and they shouldn't exist. Elon Musk is insufferable and should stop tweeting.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
And none of them will use their money to fund a AAA immersive sim reimagining of Fester's Quest.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This problem is just going to keep getting worse. Rich are getting richer and more powerful too.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Thing to remember too is that if not all, 99% of those new billionaires will be bringing their weight to come step on our necks. We are watching opposition multiply before us. Feels good!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Capitalism kinda broke things here.

It's not that they're working more. They're not working at all. They just own stuff--businesses, stocks/bonds, real estate. Those assets have appreciated, and tada, more wealth.

The poor--own nothing at all.

Middle class--usually own something like a home and some retirement accounts. But, for many, nothing more than that. Increasingly, this group is also being locked outta owning real estate. Rarely own businesses as well.

Rich--own stocks/bonds, real estate, and businesses, which gives them more leverage to buy more!

Elizabeth Warren had a plan to tax these assets, but it got complicated, and she lost in the primaries.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly who didn't LOVE feudal times

Only the salty ass serfs, who honestly just need to git gud

Me personally, I love barons and kings and the crown

All hail the dumb fucking self imposed rules that have brought us to this point.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I'm doing my part to offset my carbon footprint so they can keep flying private jets to their marinas and sail to their offshore mansions where their super exotic cars are used once a year. They deserve it. We should all pitch in.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
"Thus did a handful of rapacious citizens come to control all that was worth controlling in America. Thus was the savage and stupid and entirely inappropriate and unnecessary and humorless American class system created. Honest, industrious, peaceful citizens were classed as bloodsuckers if they asked to be paid a living wage. And they saw that praise was reserved henceforth for those who devised means of getting paid enormously for committing crimes against which no laws had been passed. Thus the American dream turned belly up, turned green, bobbed to the scummy surface of cupidity unlimited, filled with gas, went bang in the noonday sun."

-Kurt Vonnegut; God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater (1965)

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Should probably reevaluate my budget to trim that Avocado Toast and Iced Coffee. Clearly, that's what's causing the strain.

Dec 30, 2020
And this is why I'd like to make a modest proposal that we farm and eat billionaires. And because their class perpetuates itself, we'll never run out of food!

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Look if there's a new one every day, it shouldn't be any big deal if I get in line, right? Maybe my day can be in June/July or something?

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Look at all those shitty paying jobs they created though! It's so good for the economy!

kess

Oct 27, 2017
That's 11343 COVID deaths for every new billionaire.

Capitalism kinda broke things here.

It's not that they're working more. They're not working at all. They just own stuff--businesses, stocks/bonds, real estate. Those assets have appreciated, and tada, more wealth.

The poor--own nothing at all.

Middle class--usually own something like a home and some retirement accounts. But, for many, nothing more than that. Increasingly, this group is also being locked outta owning real estate. Rarely own businesses as well.

Rich--own stocks/bonds, real estate, and businesses, which gives them more leverage to buy more!

Elizabeth Warren had a plan to tax these assets, but it got complicated, and she lost in the primaries.

Nobody is even trying to give the poor any equity into the system, when the vast majority of development in America benefits rentiers -- and if the Republicans get their way, they won't have to pay any property tax at all.

Last edited: