• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
I'm so sick of so many people on this forum and their over the top stance on labor conditions at some of these US companies. It's impossible to ignore all of you though.

Oh and again, TLOU2 is a MASTERPIECE. And add the original Jak and Daxter to my list of ND masterclass games. Thanks to the poster who reminded me.
What exactly do you mean by "over the top stance"?

May 17, 2018
I'm so sick of so many people on this forum and their over the top stance on labor conditions at some of these US companies. It's impossible to ignore all of you though.

Oh and again, TLOU2 is a MASTERPIECE. And add the original Jak and Daxter to my list of ND masterclass games. Thanks to the poster who reminded me.

I'll be honest, I'm over the narrative that ND is some awful work place. I don't deny that 13 current and former employees had a tough time there, but, I've seen too many ND employees talk about being excited to work there and so proud of their what they've accomplished to believe that it's this nightmare hellhole that so many are intent on making it seem like.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'll be honest, I'm over the narrative that ND is some awful work place. I don't deny that 13 current and former employees had a tough time there, but, I've seen too many ND employees talk about being excited to work there and so proud of their what they've accomplished to believe that it's this nightmare hellhole that so many are intent on making it seem like.
Almost like this industry thrives on using employees' "passion and excitement" to justify treating them poorly. Caring about your work doesn't mean you aren't being exploited.

Naughty Dog's working conditions
OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I just want to make one thing clear: No one, absolutely no one is denying ND has issues and there isn't a single person here who doesn't want that culture to change for the better.

But to the point: they're still the people who made the games we love.

So while it might seem paradoxical, it is possible to praise something they've made whilst still being in agreement that the way they create games must change.

I just don't think derailing a thread about appreaciating said dev is the right way to go about it, frankly.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't appreciate Naughty Dog then go away FFS. Make a Naughty Dog Hate Thread. Piss the fuck off. So damn sick of this forum sometimes.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
The creator of this thread has acknowledged the very real issues with crunch in the gaming industry and at Naughty Dog specifically. This is a topic that has been discussed in many threads on this site. With this in mind, let's not come in here to simply derail the thread with crunch allegations, questionable sources, and hostility.

Joker Code

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
I appreciate that they made one of the best games of all time, The last of us part 2. Also, they should appreciate their workforce more and try to have better working conditions in the future.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Thank you OP for a wonderful thread and Transistor for the update. Derailing ND is getting tiring. Like we need to go through the same stuff ever damn time.

Anyways TLOU Part2 is a master piece for me. I can ignore the few technical issues because of the sheer scope of the project. Everything from the story, presentation, characters, representation, gameplay etc etc its just on another level.

I was never a ND fan. I liked their ps1 and ps2 offerings but it wasn't until Uncharted back on 2007? That things change where they were one of the best devs to me.

I hope they continue with their success and cannot wait what else they have in store for us.

Skid 4

Jan 18, 2018
I appreciate the hell out of Naughty Dog for how much better they made my childhood, loved all their games! As for adulthood, meh they were better without Druckmann. (although I absolutly love Uncharted Lost Legacy)

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Thank you OP for a wonderful thread and Transistor for the update. Derailing ND is getting tiring. Like we need to go through the same stuff ever damn time.

Anyways TLOU Part2 is a master piece for me. I can ignore the few technical issues because of the sheer scope of the project. Everything from the story, presentation, characters, representation, gameplay etc etc its just on another level.

I was never a ND fan. I liked their ps1 and ps2 offerings but it wasn't until Uncharted back on 2007? That things change where they were one of the best devs to me.

I hope they continue with their success and cannot wait what else they have in store for us.
tenor.gif

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Totally an ignored developer for me during the Uncharted days. But TLOU turned that around. I devoured any interviews with Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann. It's almost like when I'm obsessed with a band I would just watch as much content with them to learn and understand their creative process. I loved their pool of influence (RE4, Fumito Ueda games), and how they draw inspiration from them, but it's never to the point of copy paste. And as much as people praise them for their story I really think TLOU2's gameplay ideally should have been a bigger point of discussion. I love TLOU gameplay but I think they fortified and upgraded everything in the sequel.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
I've honestly never played a game quite like The Last of Us Part 2 before. Going beyond the absolute best in class technical prowess, the story it tells affected me emotionally like no game has ever done before. They've got the utmost respect from me. God damn, makes me wanna play again right now. Factions soon plz!

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know where they go from TLOU2. Amazing talent and a great engine still can only go as far as there are hours in the day. And this isn't a comment about crunch. I just can't imagine them making a better crafted and more detailed game on the hardware the PS5, that doesn't take them an entire generation to craft. If that makes sense.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
I only want Factions 2 from them now and nothing else, never thought I'd say that about ND.

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best in the industry. I didn't care much for their PS1/2 offerings outside of CTR. It wasn't till the Uncharted and TLOU series that the studio became one of my favorites in the industry. It sucks I can't really discuss the love and criticism I have of their recent game in a couple places I frequent though.
I honestly cannot wait to see what they do with the PS5. I do hope they go for a new IP first though once done with Factions.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I truly believe they have never developed a "bad game." Some of their games may not be my favorite of all time, but I feel like since the PS1 era till now...they have been consistently been developing really fun games.

Jul 12, 2020
Wow appreciation for naughty dog? I love it!

Naughty dog is the best studio for me. TLOU series is my favorite. Such strong emotional shock is something I never met before part II.
Uncharted, jax and daxter are also amazing.

In some other game forums people who want to say something good about naughty dog even get attacked because of the hate towards to TLOU2. I know some developers in the studio have been through a hard time these days. Hope they know still many people love their work.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
They are some of the best devs in the industry and very dear to my hear ever since Crash Bandicoot which was my first 3D Game. It has been a pleasure to grow up alongside them and see their games grow up at the same time.

My personal ranking of their games (in release order):

S tier
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
The Last of Us Part II

A Tier
Crash Warped
Jak and Daxter The Precursor Legacy
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

B Tier
Crash 2 Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Team Racing
Jak II
Jak 3
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

C Tier
Crash Bandicoot
Jak X
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

All of them great games btw. The variety in their games is impressive, I hope they tackle another genre with their next new I.P.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Even though I dislike modern Naughty Dog, the Naughty Dog that created Crash Bandicoot helped get me into video games as a young child. For that I appreciate their existence.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know where they go from TLOU2. Amazing talent and a great engine still can only go as far as there are hours in the day. And this isn't a comment about crunch. I just can't imagine them making a better crafted and more detailed game on the hardware the PS5, that doesn't take them an entire generation to craft. If that makes sense.
The expectations are extremely high, but if anyone can pull it off, it's them. Neol talking about how he didn't care about trying to make TLOU2 a tall about "fanservice" in anyway is so refreshing. He was making a direct sequel that just made total sense instead of pandering.