• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
The right side of the standing building looks lower than the left.

Given how there are shots of a hollow space under the pool (that could be seen in a video further up the thread) and the caved-in road where the cars are parked on the left of this pic, is there come sort of underground parking that the building somehow collapsed into? Or is this a sinkhole?

Hopefully they've evacuated everyone else that was in the standing part of the building since I worry it could still all come down.

There seems to be a parking garage under the building going off of google maps( which has the wrong building marked), The weight of the building could have collapse the roof of the garage, in the one with the cars you can see the pillars change paint and look like they have numbers for parking.
goo.gl

Google Maps

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
They need to go through this pancake :(
See the layers? Just awful.
image0.jpg

holy shit.

edit: has it been confirmed if thus is a condo building or rental?

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
This building was built in the 80's which is before Hurricane Andrew and all the building codes became strictly enforced and strengthened. I just wonder if the remaining tower is stable since the ground is deformed around it. Probably what they are evaluating in some of those pictures.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
Some engineers and architects are in for a lot of trouble. What ever the cause the building should have been braced in some way to take the increased load for a limited amount of time. Even a sink hole on one corner shouldn't bring down a whole building in seconds.
hopefully the local government can take some time to investigate in between conservative bill to record classroom speech

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
They haven't even started clearing it?! Wow

Have to confirm that everything is safe enough to do so. Happened at 2am so even with spotlights it's not enough to assess the damage. Unfortunately (and frustratingly) you have to be slow otherwise you're putting lives of those trying to rescue and under the rubble in even more danger.

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate Joke
edit
hope everyone is safe
doesn't realize the extent of the damage

Last edited:

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
The part of the building that collapsed coincides exactly with the roof edge outline (see e to vote image in that Twitter post were they outline in red the past that collapsed).

If there were works being done on the roof it could be that there was a lot of construction material like foils etc that, with the amount of rain pouring out, could've ended up blocking the emergency spewers from the roof edges.

Had it been a sinkhole i think the building would've collapsed in a very different way, sideways most probably, unless it was a sinkhole that perfectly matched the outline of the building.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I mean, have you seen our infrastructure reports?

The US is obsessed with cheap shit. Look at housing construction for example.

dengarden.com

Why Are American Houses So Flimsy and Poorly Built?

One striking aspect of houses in America is the flimsy quality of even the most expensive ones. Houses are built literally like a house of cards.
The probably would have little to do with a building built in the 80s that has survived many storms over the decades.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The probably would have little to do with a building built in the 80s that has survived many storms over the decades.
Not making the connection with SFA and apartment buildings lol. They're obviously not the same. Just making that point that our infrastructure and inspection systems are very bad here.

The building was fine for 40 years, so they did something right initially.

But looks like something was missed.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
That's scary, I live 10 mins from there. In a similar building LOL, though my building was built in 2019 so it's new construction.

And I live on the mainland (10 meters from the water), just not in Surfisde actually -on- the water....

Problem is, they're (LITERALLY) building like 10 more high-rises on my little strip of land.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
The part of the building that collapsed coincides exactly with the roof edge outline (see e to vote image in that Twitter post were they outline in red the past that collapsed).

If there were works being done on the roof it could be that there was a lot of construction material like foils etc that, with the amount of rain pouring out, could've ended up blocking the emergency spewers from the roof edges.

Had it been a sinkhole i think the building would've collapsed in a very different way, sideways most probably, unless it was a sinkhole that perfectly matched the outline of the building.

Going by Miami Airport precipitation, there was no where enough rain to make that collapse unless the supports were already broken and they finally slipped. Also doesn't need to be a sinkhole in the traditional sense but a sudden ground shift if the supports were not properly grounded to bedrock could cause a collapse, especially if there was fatigue already in the supports.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hearing one dead, ten injured, but I imagine those numbers will go way up unless the building was nearly deserted.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hearing one dead, ten injured, but I imagine those numbers will go way up unless the building was nearly deserted.
Local news said those casualties are all from neighboring apartments of the standing unit. Also property manager said the building was packed but doesn't have a number since they don't track residents, just guests.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
With all the corruption in South Florida I wouldn't be surprised if the owner of the building paid to hide flaws. I feel so bad for the victims.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mayor said they sent rescue dogs to the rubble, but no scent was picked up.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Have to confirm that everything is safe enough to do so. Happened at 2am so even with spotlights it's not enough to assess the damage. Unfortunately (and frustratingly) you have to be slow otherwise you're putting lives of those trying to rescue and under the rubble in even more danger.
For sure, I didn't realize this was THIS morning. I read it like it happened yesterday. My apologies.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Is this anywhere near where the navy just did that explosive test that registered as a magnitude 3.9 earthquake? I'm legitimately concerned that it could've weakened this building, and that means other buildings could also be compromised.