• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

starwars.fandom.com

Duck

If we can't get the shield generator fixed, we'll be sitting ducks.Captain Quarsh Panaka A duck was a species found in the galaxy, including the planet Naboo.[2] A duck's young was called a duckling, and tended to follow elder ducks around.[3] In Galactic Basic Standard, the expression "sitting...

Ducks canonically exist in the Star Wars universe because Panaka uses the phrase "sitting ducks" in The Phantom Menace.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
they will never get there but i just got the Making of Star Wars: A New Hope book and it's just fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. I would move heaven and earth to have them all do a book club on it. It somehow was about $70AUD here so it's not exactly, you know, a Disney XD sub or whatever but god maybe if I give them enough patreon money they'll make it a sub goal in ten years or whenever they get past (the entire premise of the podcast)

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Watched RotS last night in preparation for the next episode. I did *not* remember a lot of that movie, specially how Anakin pretty much turns on a whim. There's maybe 5 minutes between him telling Windu of the chancellor and him going to kill the younglings. I'm really interested in seeing if/how CW is going to try and sell or setup that turn better than the movie does (which is not at all).

definitely looking forward to the next episode, and although the stellar cast of the podcast was enough to make me listen to it, I feel like rewatching RotS has me suddenly a lot more invested on where CW goes.

Also, Padme and Anakin have the opposite of chemistry in every scene they're on together, holy shit they're unbearable.

Freestanding

Nov 27, 2019
I really adore the opening scene of ROTS, the drum beat and then two fighters swooping into battle was so awesome in theaters. CGI is rarely memorable , but that first sequence is forever in my brain for some reason.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I started listening to this a few weeks ago and finally got all caught up. Natalie's rant at the end of episode 9 where she talks about "smoking fat doinks" and playing FF14 had me in stitches.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I really adore the opening scene of ROTS, the drum beat and then two fighters swooping into battle was so awesome in theaters. CGI is rarely memorable , but that first sequence is forever in my brain for some reason.
Mmmm agreed, plus that one scene has just an incredibly high concentration of fantastic new ship designs. The Venator, ARC-170, Actis Jedi Starfighter, plus a whole bunch of cool Separatist ships and droids--all make their debut in the opening of RotS, and then - with the help of the LAAT from Attack of the Clones - proceed to anchor the whole Clone Wars era aesthetic in the show.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The opening of RotS always felt weird to me because it's the first time a space battle in a Star Wars movie is relegated to the background. It's just a backdrop for our heroes to play around with buzz droids a bit and then board the cruiser where the real action lies. Even in RotJ where the space battle would literally be in the background of the Jedi drama in the throne room, we still cared enough about the outcome of the space battle to cut back to it and see its ups and downs, ultimately ending with blowing up the second Death Star. Here, what are the stakes? Who's winning? But as soon as they secure Palpatine and "land" on Coruscant, the space battle is out of sight, out of mind.

Like, it's not wrong for the movie to say what we really care about here is the jedi drama onboard the cruiser, but every other time a space battle is employed in Star Wars, the battle itself has stakes and meaning. Which makes it feel very odd to just be background noise here.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
The opening of RotS always felt weird to me because it's the first time a space battle in a Star Wars movie is relegated to the background. It's just a backdrop for our heroes to play around with buzz droids a bit and then board the cruiser where the real action lies. Even in RotJ where the space battle would literally be in the background of the Jedi drama in the throne room, we still cared enough about the outcome of the space battle to cut back to it and see its ups and downs, ultimately ending with blowing up the second Death Star. Here, what are the stakes? Who's winning? But as soon as they secure Palpatine and "land" on Coruscant, the space battle is out of sight, out of mind.

Like, it's not wrong for the movie to say what we really care about here is the jedi drama onboard the cruiser, but every other time a space battle is employed in Star Wars, the battle itself has stakes and meaning. Which makes it feel very odd to just be background noise here.

This is one of the only bits of The Clone Wars we see in the movie. The scrawl mentions it's been dragging on so it makes sense to me that the focus is on their mission and not the greater battle. I also tied this in my head with the animated Clone Wars that really made it seem like the entire focus was on getting Palpatine back.

Oct 30, 2017
Just started this a couple of days ago and still in the Malevolence arc episode. Good stuff. They really dive into their analysis and good humor along the way. The Zero stuff is enlightening since I dont know who Truman Capote was.

As an ex big fan of Legends and the Clone Wars Multimedia Project though I do have that screaming feeling whenever they don't get parts of the universe. Like when explaining why the Republic didn't have a military. But they do get into the role of the Jedi during that time so it evens out

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Revenge of the Sith sustains itself on meme power alone. I think it's a great movie if you just pretend it's well-paced and well-plotted, lmao. Tons of fun moments. I unironically stan the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel. I unironically stan every moment Obi-Wan is on screen, come to think of it.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Yoda giving up after five minutes was funny. I get that they've somehow been debuffed but try a little harder. Try and muster a second assault or a resistance. What a piss poor leader.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I initially thought Natalie's FFXIV story was an AD. I'm very excited to hear their Revenge podcast, part of me is disappointed they didn't stick with the plan, but part of me is extremely relieved because it'd going to take years to get through the clone wars at their current pace.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
by the way, reading the making of a new hope was incredible because of how much of the movie making process is dominated by how difficult most of the special effects shots were, especially the space battle at the end. In-credible

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Fucking everything about the staging in RotS is just so fucking boring. The opening rescue mission, Anakin and Obi-Wan just casually meander down every hallway, every "set" is a wide unintrusive space with nothing to interact with. Like not even hiding behind the corner to scope out what's down the next corridor. If trouble arises, they continue meandering forward while aimlessly twirling their sabers at imaginary blaster bolts. Obi-Wan confronts Grievous in a big fucking hanger, because god forbid anything define this space.

Absolutely every fucking bit of interaction screams "nobody could be bothered." It actually drives me insane. I am shocked when I see Padme walk into a room folding a blanket because it's atleast a momentary bit of business for her to do something with her hands. I imagine Natalie Portman begging George Lucas "please, can I be doing something?!"

There is an extremely rare choice George (or the editor) makes in this movie, and it's the cut from Anakin's dream with the premonition of Obi-Wan at Padme's side, then allowing that doubt and insecurity behind petty-ass Anakin's thought process to carry unimpeded. It is so profoundly rare for how George directs these movies to not include a reaction shot, or an establishing wide to indicate that it's the next day, or a fucking screen-wipe with a musical transition to reset the mood. But this misogynistic bit of suspicion from Anakin's dream cutting straight to Padme walking into the living room is maybe the most artful moment in all three of these movies. So much so that it almost clashes with the clunky storytelling of everything else.

Last edited:

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Watched RotS last night in preparation for the next episode. I did *not* remember a lot of that movie, specially how Anakin pretty much turns on a whim. There's maybe 5 minutes between him telling Windu of the chancellor and him going to kill the younglings. I'm really interested in seeing if/how CW is going to try and sell or setup that turn better than the movie does (which is not at all).
IMO it does its best, but I've always felt that one of the main problems the Clone Wars runs into is that no matter how much it tries (and succeeds to an extent) to redeem the prequels, RotS still has to happen at the end

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
IMO it does its best, but I've always felt that one of the main problems the Clone Wars runs into is that no matter how much it tries (and succeeds to an extent) to redeem the prequels, RotS still has to happen at the end
True, but goddamn does the show not only redeem this time period for me, it actively makes me want to watch the prequels again. If you know me, you can't possibly imagine the heavy lift that was. Clone Wars did it.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC

Anakin-Meme.jpg

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my God we have been blessed!

Also go check out Cado live tweeting his rewatch for some interesting revalations.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The pod just keeps getting better and better, can't wait for the next couple eps.
Also can't wait until they get to season 2 cause the show itself gets a lot better imo.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
They should just remake ROTS Clone Wars style and with the cast

When I last rewatched it my takeaway was 'damn, if they added two hours and an intermission to this (and some better writing/acting) it could almost be a masterpiece.' I feel like actually redoing it would be disrespectful, but I'd like to see it tried. Even just brining in versions of Padme's cut scenes would do wonders for it if redone well.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

That tease. I already know I'm fully signed on to Austin's take. He's my spirit animal on the podcast.

EDIT: Bonus memes

There's great content in our future.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China

My biggest problem with the movie, and the things that runs into my brain when people say "RotS was good"

NotThePars

Feb 16, 2021
One thing I didn't notice for some reason until my rewatches of Attack and Revenge is that there are some tremendous Powerpoint ass transitions between scenes in those movies. George really was firing on all cylinders with the tech in the early 2000s

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I am so obscenely ready for this. I need to absolutely get a Revenge of the Sith sufferwatch in before then.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, looking at Austin's newer tweet, I think he's saying the whole thing is going to drop Wednesday. Not just part 1.
Ohhh, they recorded it in two parts but are throwing it into one 5 hour episode. Oh god.

I'm wondering if the fact that it's a two part podcast means I can get away with only watching half of Revenge for now.
I'm trying to decide if this is a good or bad way to watch RotS.

I'm probably not going to rewatch RotS though. My one and only viewing is scarred into my brain.
I'm going to be completely honest, as someone who upon rewatching it thinks that movie is like 80% awful and 10% kinda fun ILM work and 10% the actors just having fun with it, it's really not a hard 2-and-a-half hour watch. It has been memed into such oblivion that every 30 seconds is another moment you've seen in other contexts and it's really funny to see how hard and how fast the turn comes and how dated the blending of CG and people looks. It's really entertaining insofar as how much it makes you ask "What were you thinking?" and realizing that nobody ever pushed back against any random half-considered idea even when it clearly would have helped the movie. The movie cruises by.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Man I can't WAIT to hear their Revenge of the Sith podcast. Gotta cram in a rewatch ahead of time since I don't think I've seen RotS since like 2014?

I love this podcast but it sucks how slow they're going through the series D:

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Man I can't WAIT to hear their Revenge of the Sith podcast. Gotta cram in a rewatch ahead of time since I don't think I've seen RotS since like 2014?

I love this podcast but it sucks how slow they're going through the series D:
I think it's good since it means they aren't rushing through stuff good or bad. I like the deep dives that gives them time to develop.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I've been catching up over the past week or two and am about to be greatly rewarded for having already decided not to actually rewatch the movies, just watch the show.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
Same, I didn't watch the movies or the first few episodes but I am planning to follow along otherwise

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not rewatching the movies but I am watching the show for the first time, finally. It's solid but the podcast really makes it worth it.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i've been thinking recently about how bad the prequel trilogy is and yet how i still kinda actually prefer it to the most recent trilogy, because at least i can remember it and have opinions about it