• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
That's how Polygon describes marketing content. You won't find them refer to it as sponsored content anywhere on their site, presumably as it's not a direct advert, but instead a 'partnership' that they have with particular sites and companies. As I said, it's not editorial content. It's just a list of deals with a blurb at the top. 'Editorial content' would be if they wrote a review of those items, or contextualised it in some other way,

But look- if you think you have some sort of 'big story' here, about how big union guy Ben Kuchera is not so secretly shilling for Amazon, and that Polygon show the excesses of gaming journalism with no clear line between their editorial content and their marketing content, why don't you email Jason or someone similar? Surely they'd want to run such a big story?
Contextualised as in saying these are "The best", rather than just saying "A list of"?

Ben Kuchera exhibiting poor judgement is not a big story. It's not news to anyone who has been paying attention.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Because the people who work for the companies are massively different from the people who run the companies and make decisions. The people making the decisions about whether Polygon had a relationship with Amazon are not the same people who went on strike.
But I saw some articles and it seems to be the normal staff that does those.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
The striking workers want a ton of orders to be made, the purpose being the workers are not there to actually process them. It's why they chose such a high volume, high profile day in the first place

I'm not worried about it either way. Are we supposed to be angry at the entire internet for 2 days and then forget about it? Stop supporting sites that link/allow discussions of the sales? It's impractical.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I saw some articles and it seems to be the normal staff that does those.

They don't personally choose do because they like the company. It's their job. If any editorial staffer has to write something (which looking at the 'Shopping' tag on their site, seems rare- it's normally done by the commerce team or interns), they will be told by the commerce department what they're writing about. They don't get to choose what products or companies Vox does deals with.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
This may come as a surprise, but the only thing gamers care more about than worker's rights is WICKED SICK DEALS ON LEET GAMING LOOT.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
They don't personally choose do because they like the company. It's their job. If any editorial staffer has to write something (which looking at the 'Shopping' tag on their site, seems rare- it's normally done by the commerce team or interns), they will be told by the commerce department what they're writing about. They don't get to choose what products or companies Vox does deals with.
That's what they as a company and as part of Vox media have to deal with. Not my problem.

Either way it's good to be critical of all and every company that is not in full support of the strike. Because only that way can we force social change, so that maybe next year they won't do it.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what they as a company and as part of Vox media have to deal with. Not my problem.

I think the point is that people are attacking just some normal people at Polygon for just doing their jobs, and saying their hypocrites for going on strike themselves, which is just ridiculous.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I think the point is that people are attacking just some normal people at Polygon for just doing their jobs, and saying their hypocrites for going on strike themselves, which is just ridiculous.
People shouldn't blame the employers, they should blame Polygon and then Vox media as a whole. I just want to see solidarity with the people striking on these two days.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It especially hilarious because he thinks he is the good person but then comes out with shit like that. People like that are so blind they don't realise they re part of the overall problem.

I'm convinced it's kids who have never had to worry about paying bills and keeping a roof over their heads, or had people who depend on them doing so. I'm convinced there's overlap between people with no self-awareness like that and those who think games would be better if we were all communists.

It's honestly Resetera's worst, I really struggle.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
People shouldn't blame the employers, they should blame Polygon and then Vox media as a whole. I just want to see solidarity with the people striking on these two days.
Except that even that isn't so clean cut

Vox can probably take the marketing and affiliate hit. Can Polygon?

I don't know how thin the margins are for gaming sites these days. But assuming the folk going there are comparable to the folk watching streamers, just look at how many subscribers people lose if they skip a day or whatever. There are so many options that folk are going to drop you if you aren't what they want. And if those are the five folk who don't use an ad blocker, they take a hit.

It really is a continuation of the idea of folk walking a picket line because they need to feed their families. Solidarity is great. But are you going to throw away the day when everyone and their mother are clicking links to find aggregated discount lists? Especially when some of those folk might stick around and even more of them might never come back? What will tanking your own viewerbase do?

It is a messy situation all around. Amazon workers were smart to at least attempt to pick prime day for a strike. It is a time when Amazon will feel the hit and hopefully make policy changes to solve the problems (hopefully in a good way).
From the Polygon et al side? Vox and all the other parent companies may or may not feel the hit. But what are they going to do about it?

I'd personally have preferred a few more news stories and even a blurb at the top of the sales page along the lines of "Please consider donating the money you save to this pro-union organization" or something similar. Full on "fuck this, we are with you brothers" would be great. But I am not sure if it would do much other than hurt Polygon et al.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It especially hilarious because he thinks he is the good person but then comes out with shit like that. People like that are so blind they don't realise they re part of the overall problem.
Totally. I'll never blame a parent for doing what they have to do to provide for their kids. Worlds fucked. Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

morrigan8bit

Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Not going to link to the articles. Digital foundry have also been posting deals on twitter. Name and shame more scab sites here.

I think you need to learn what the definition of being a scab is. Also, not a fan of using such a derogatory term.

Fun fact - the union I am a member in will "discipline" members calling people scabs/harassing people at the picket line. Its an outdated term belonging to 80s Britain.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
I'm convinced it's kids who have never had to worry about paying bills and keeping a roof over their heads, or had people who depend on them doing so. I'm convinced there's overlap between people with no self-awareness like that and those who think games would be better if we were all communists.

It's honestly Resetera's worst, I really struggle.

That or they're posturing hypocrites who pretend they're chez fucking guevara on a forum but wouldn't actually put their own welfare on the line.

People wonder why we always lose and "norms" think we're intellectual snobs looking down our nose at them .. this thread explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.