• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Downplaying the destruction and suffering the cartel has had on many as “Entertainment”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/world/americas/miriam-rodriguez-san-fernando.html
merlin_180936720_b12f9374-ea2b-42cc-a1ac-3a8151b72a23-superJumbo.jpg

SAN FERNANDO, Mexico —
Armed with a handgun, a fake ID card and disguises, Miriam Rodríguez was a one-woman detective squad, defying a system where criminal impunity often prevails.

Miriam Rodríguez clutched a pistol in her purse as she ran past the morning crowds on the bridge to Texas. She stopped every few minutes to catch her breath and study the photo of her next target: the florist.

She had been hunting him for a year, stalking him online, interrogating the criminals he worked with, even befriending unwitting relatives for tips on his whereabouts. Now she finally had one — a widow called to tell her that he was peddling flowers on the border.

Ever since 2014, she had been tracking the people responsible for the kidnapping and murder of her 20-year-old daughter, Karen. Half of them were already in prison, not because the authorities had cracked the case, but because she had pursued them on her own, with a meticulous abandon.

She cut her hair, dyed it and disguised herself as a pollster, a health worker and an election official to get their names and addresses. She invented excuses to meet their families, unsuspecting grandmothers and cousins who gave her details, however small. She wrote everything down and stuffed it into her black computer bag, building her investigation and tracking them down, one by one.

She knew their habits, friends, hometowns, childhoods. She knew the florist had sold flowers on the street before joining the Zeta cartel and getting involved in her daughter's kidnapping. Now he was on the run and back to what he knew, selling roses to make ends meet.

In three years, Mrs. Rodríguez captured nearly every living member of the crew that had abducted her daughter for ransom, a rogues' gallery of criminals who tried to start new lives — as a born-again Christian, a taxi driver, a car salesman, a babysitter.

In all, she was instrumental in taking down 10 people, a mad campaign for justice that made her famous, but vulnerable. No one challenged organized crime, never mind put its members in prison.

She asked the government for armed guards, fearing the cartel had finally had enough.

The rest of the story gets more tense and it is as compelling as a book or TV miniseries.

This shit is gonna be a movie within 5 years.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
That is badass.

EDIT: Read one of the later posts about her being gunned down in 2017. Damn.

Last edited:

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Read this today too. This lady was a total fuckin bad ass. And she was chasing down these fuckers in her mid 50's too!
Surprised that she didn't go full Punisher on the killers and instead waited on cops to arrest them (especially with how corrupt the cops probably are). Also surprised that more vigilante justice hasn't reared its head in Mexico given the insane number of murders and kidnappings.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The audacity to kidnap someone and then just become a "Born Again Christian" to wipe your hands clean.

Sep 9, 2020
Read this today too. This lady was a total fuckin bad ass. And she was chasing down these fuckers in her mid 50's too!
Surprised that she didn't go full Punisher on the killers and instead waited on cops to arrest them (especially with how corrupt the cops probably are). Also surprised that more vigilante justice hasn't reared its head in Mexico given the insane number of murders and kidnappings.
You should check out the film Cartel Land, there absolutely is vigilantism in Mexico. It's obviously a very complicated subject, these groups have their own issues over time.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The cartels are awful. Really wish there was a peaceful solution to dismantling their power.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The very next line of the article after the quote in the OP ends was damn tragic. Gunned down in front of her home, her husband waiting for her to get home.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
OP probably should've included the next couple of sentences:

On Mother's Day, 2017, weeks after she had chased down one of her last targets, she was shot in front of her home and killed. Her husband, inside watching television, found her face down on the street, hand tucked inside her purse, next to her pistol.

Oct 25, 2017
How far do you think she would've gotten if she just went around shooting cartel members?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
How far do you think she would've gotten if she just went around shooting cartel members?
About as far as she did. In the end she was still sticking her head into cartel business and had the unfortunate consequences of that.

There are. They just unfortunately usually end up in situations similar to the woman in this story.

www.reuters.com

Mexico's Wild West: vigilante groups defy president to fight cartels

Surrounded by armed men, Commander "Toro" said Mexicans taking the law into their own hands in the western state of Michoacan will not heed government calls to lay down arms because it would leave them at the mercy of violent gangs.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
This fucking sucks. Idk how this woman was before her daughter's death, but seeing her having to resort to this breaks my heart.

Edit: And to the surprise to no one, she was murdered a few years ago. Hope she can rest in peace.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
You should check out the film Cartel Land, there absolutely is vigilantism in Mexico. It's obviously a very complicated subject, these groups have their own issues over time.

oh you know what? I have seen that. Totally forgot about it. The only way these towns and people seem to be able to stand up to the cartels is if they band together as a community and follow the lead of someone brave and fearless. It's a shame that it is so complicated to keep groups like this going before they inevitably become power hungry gangs of their own.

Probably not far admittedly. But extreme anger and grief drove her into doing what she did. I don't think it would be much further of a step to let that sort of anger consume you into more violence.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
All I can say is wow. Need to read up on her struggle.
She is one of the most badass real people I've ever read about, and all I know is the summary in the OP so far.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, that's awesome. I wouldn't have bothered with the police, though. This shit is personal.

So sad that she was gunned down. Fuck. But at least she accomplished what she set out to do. She's a goddamn hero.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
As interesting as the headlines are here

this story is still fucking heartbreaking. RIP to her.
I hope she was able to feel some peace and praise and inspiration for her strive for justice.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
These "this will make a great movie" responses are fucking awful, do you have any sense of reality?

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That article is pretty tragic. No one "wins". That badass mother is dead alongside her daughter, gunned down outside her husband's house. Her husband is a shadow of his former self.

Cartels are a special kind of evil. They require the populace for their power and influence, yet they will brutalize said populace to keep that power. I can't imagine that level of terror being my normal, and I say that as a black man in America.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
What a sad story. I feel for the families that struggle with cartels everyday. Unfortunately pretty much all the states near the US border have major problems. The unfortunate reality of the current landscape in Mexico.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
how do you read this article and think about a movie/tv series

this shit was an awful, depressing read. I'm more disappointed in reality than thinking about feel-good media that will come from this

Luis obsessed over who they were. But even he had learned the lesson his mother's murder had been meant to impart: only push so far for justice.
"I won't make the same mistakes as my mom," he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.