• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
I understand being upset at what happened at ubisoft but I couldn't see anything wrong with this message. I could see some positive things from it and I hope they go through with the changes and donations.
It's the fact they're deliberating trying to sweep this under the rug. This stuff isn't new. This isn't something that's new. The fact they're saying "We would've included this in our live event but we didn't have time!" is a weak excuse masking the real intent which is to not "blemish" the live showcase so people can gobble up the hype machine Ubisoft's trying to roll out.

And by accounts of people working at Ubisoft, they haven't seen the rollout of this "improved communication" or "doing better" that the company keeps peddling out.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1304113724106534912?s=20

I'm not saying "WE SHOULD BOYCOTT THE SHOWCASE," but I skipped out on their last and will skip out on this one, and for the foreseeable future, all their games. Remember how in that last event they were showcasing the VERY offices that all these sexual abuse situations were happening at and trying to say how cool their work culture was? Disgusting.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Not only it feels hollow, but also feels like a non-apology. I definitely saw his words as "sorry you felt that way" rather than "sorry for what we've done"

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
That's what I clicked, it didn't show up for me

edit: Of course if I chose "show from people I follow" it would probably show up, but that's because that's games journalists and such. When I clicked for everyone, it wasn't there.
My filters are set to "anyone" and "from anywhere," and the apology or news about the apology is 6 out of the first 10 results.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Honestly you could apply that logic the other way. How many of you are going back and watching the first Ubi Forward? After the presentation is done, no one will be re-watching it, and if the apology was at the beginning of that video, it would be quickly forgotten, and you would literally have to go dig up a VOD to find it again. At least this way there is a dedicated tweet that will have thousands of RTs and live on thousands of timelines with people conversing in it long after Ubi Fwd is concluded.

It could and should've been in both, in a separate tweet and on the event.

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
Poor graduates that go into the scheme naively. Such a crappy company I hope they don't get treated unfairly or caught up in the corruption.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah these are the faces of men who love women. Just look at these jolly fellows.

gmr4Bac.jpg

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
I'd say advertising video games when you still haven't properly addressed all of the bad shit your company's been caught doing is what's tone deaf.

The company has ~16.000 employees. A large chunk of those work on projects that they are passionate about and want it out there for players to see and play at some point. I don't think it's helpful for those teams to only focus on the bad shit in the public.
So, of course, the shitty stuff should be discussed and it should be a focus, but in the end, many employees still work every day to get a game out they worked on for years.

It's important to keep the pressure up and call out the shit and what they could do better.
Ideal would be to have the statement in the presentation and a social media post.

But at the same time, business continues and can't be just halted.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
lay off everyone. booking time on your own streaming platforms is expensive

Oct 28, 2019
The first guy on the left was one of the people involved. I think his name is Serge? Anyways, these are all the Guillemot brothers, so they are all complicit in this bullshit.

Serge Hascoet isn't on the pic and neither is he a Guillemot brother.

rcu4xvkxjah4wx0o8wcp.jpg

Found the pic in Jason Schreier's article and yeah, the picture is of the Guillemot brothers. First guy on the left is Michel Guillemot, who used to be CEO of Gameloft.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
God what a bunch of crap. They gave this exact same excuse the last time. "Guys we couldn't address this in the actual event as we ran out of time!"
I'm completely done with buying anything made by Ubisoft.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I think that these individuals that he talks of are not rogue elements, but did in fact uphold Ubisoft's values.

He can go fuck off.

Jun 26, 2018
The company has ~16.000 employees. A large chunk of those work on projects that they are passionate about and want it out there for players to see and play at some point. I don't think it's helpful for those teams to only focus on the bad shit in the public.
So, of course, the shitty stuff should be discussed and it should be a focus, but in the end, many employees still work every day to get a game out they worked on for years.

It's important to keep the pressure up and call out the shit and what they could do better.
Ideal would be to have the statement in the presentation and a social media post.

But at the same time, business continues and can't be just halted.

If I worked for a company who had covered for abusers that have raped and sexual harassed people working in the same company as me, I sure as fuck would want the company to address it properly, what I've worked on is not more important to me than the wellbeing of the people I work with.

Edit: Something the management at ubisoft has no interest in, as it's becoming very clear they just want this to go away.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
If I worked for a company who had covered for abusers that have raped and sexual harassed people working in the same company as me, I sure as fuck would want the company to address it properly, what I've worked on is not more important to me than the wellbeing of the people I work with.

Edit: Something the management at ubisoft has no interest in, as it's becoming very clear they just want this to go away.

Imagine the level of unease and anxiety a lot of the women working for Ubisoft must feel right now. Depending on the context some of them are in, I'm sure it must be downright scary! All of this is so fucked up. Fuck Yves Guillemot and fuck Ubisoft!

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
The Guillemot family should just step back. At this point, as a Black man, I can't honestly buy one of their games and support the company as it is.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
Please stop buying Ubisolft games. They aren't even all that good anyway.

Thank you and have nice day.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does it matter if it's made in a separate video or ahead of the event? The message is being sent through twitter and most people use that crap.

Not that I believe a single word coming out of his mouth but you guys would have complained either way.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What does it matter if it's made in a separate video or ahead of the event? The message is being sent through twitter and most people use that crap.

Not that I believe a single word coming out of his mouth but you guys would have complained either way.

certainly will reach more people through twitter than the actual presentation.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
So, wait a second, they didn't have time to edit in the apology for this UbiForward event but had the time to edit in a random montage that started off with people in a restaurant to people celebrating sports and made a huge montage that built up to.. an advertisement for the Rainbow 6 World Cup...?

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
So much for all that 'I'm never buying another Ubisoft game' bluster that some people were spouting.

Just look at the game announcement threads. Does anyone think Ubisoft is really going to change?

People don't care when games are involved. It's sad.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I forget why I boycotted Ubi a long time ago. Was coming around after the Mario Rabbids game and new Anno. Back to ignoring them forever. Funny thing my Ubi game launcher was on my recently dead hard drive. Have not bothered to reinstall it and am not missing anything.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pardon my ignorance - I haven't really been up to date with all the Ubishenanigans - but what has Yves or Ubisoft done?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
So much for all that 'I'm never buying another Ubisoft game' bluster that some people were spouting.

Just look at the game announcement threads. Does anyone think Ubisoft is really going to change?

People don't care when games are involved. It's sad.

It is a trend I noticed. Especially for issues that are about women. Women's equality – and safety in this particular case – seem to be THE things some people are ready to compromise on for the sake of "fandom" about some entertainment products.