• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Then they'd have to wait like 5 months even if they were all in. That's what I'm saying.

Calm down.
I'm perfectly calm, man. What part of my post makes it seem like I'm not?

And you're right in the sense that initially they'd still have to wait, but the idea that "why would anyone want to buy a new Pokémon game to use a load of old pokémon" is such a weird point as to be unknowable is frankly kinda presumptuous. The games up until this point (since DP/P, I guess) have allowed you to come in with your old pokémon and do it with those (after a point) This would be the first game to limit that in such a way that its forever impossible. And again, that's someone else's prerogative and if that was their draw to the series before this point, a series that no longer satisfies this need, why wouldn't they be upset?

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
And you're right in the sense that initially they'd still have to wait, but the idea that "why would anyone want to buy a new Pokémon game to use a load of old pokémon" is such a weird point as to be unknowable is frankly kinda presumptuous. The games up until this point (since DP/P, I guess) have allowed you to come in with your old pokémon and do it with those (after a point) This would be the first game to limit that in such a way that its forever impossible. And again, that's someone else's prerogative and if that was their draw to the series before this point, a series that no longer satisfies this need, why wouldn't they be upset?
From memory, you couldn't import into Black/White until the post-game. Can't recall for games after that point.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
From memory, you couldn't import into Black/White until the post-game. Can't recall for games after that point.
You're correct. The Pal Park and Poké Transfer was not accessible until the post-game in all games including Diamond & Pearl, HeartGold & SoulSilver and Black & White.

The only times you could do it at launch were ORAS and USUM

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, definitely. I'm just curious if the people who are okay with/neutral to cutting Pokemon would feel the same when they start hacking away at the battle system.

nice that you say it like it is inevitable when there is absolutely no proof of anything you are speculating at all, more the contrary but oh well it is nice to paint Gamefreak as an evil corporation with the only objective to make the pokemon games worse

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
nice that you say it like it is inevitable when there is absolutely no proof of anything you are speculating at all, more the contrary but oh well it is nice to paint Gamefreak as an evil corporation with the only objective to make the pokemon games worse
They've already simplified the battle system in a mainline game by removing held items and weather in LGPE so it's not too much of a jump to think they might make more changes to it in the upcoming gen. I also feel because they take influence from mobile games (LGPE and Pokemon Go), I wouldn't be surprise if they take influence from Pokemon Masters too and get rid of dual types, etc. And, duh, I'm speculating. I'm not making a youtube video and presenting my opinions as fact. :P

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
They've already simplified the battle system in a mainline game by removing held items and weather in LGPE so it's not too much of a jump to think they might make more changes to it in the upcoming gen. I also feel because they take influence from mobile games (LGPE and Pokemon Go), I wouldn't be surprise if they take influence from Pokemon Masters too and get rid of dual types, etc. And, duh, I'm speculating. I'm not making a youtube video and presenting my opinions as fact. :P
You're leaving money on the table for no reason!
Get to it, you could gain so many new subscribers!

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
An argument could be made that megas and Z moves and certain extinct battle types show that not every addition is sacred like abilities and held items. But if the battle system is touched beyond the relative new stuff it'll be one of those " who coulda guessed it, gotta accept it" things.

At the very least I wouldn't be bold enough to say theres no precedent.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
What's super telling about this is that at their presentation a few weeks before E3, they didn't show off any console spinoffs, nothing about Sword and Shield, they ONLY showed mobile games and were sure to mention Pokemon Go in particular when talking about Home. I think they know where the real money lies.
They actually did show one console game, a sequel to Detective Pikachu. Was literally just a title, though.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mystery Dungeon sold over 1 million so it should be safe...

for a mobile version!
I wouldn't be opposed to that, to be honest. MD is the kind of game I'd rather play in short bursts. I wish they would make the combat more action oriented as well. We already have the core titles for turn-based combat.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't be opposed to that, to be honest. MD is the kind of game I'd rather play in short bursts. I wish they would make the combat more action oriented as well. We already have the core titles for turn-based combat.
I would be very opposed to that :P

Mystery Dungeon sucks

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Mystery Dungeon (Gates to Infinity aside) are better than the mainline games, especially Explorers of the Sky =P

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao well they certainly are making Pokemon games worse but we're not sure if that's their only objective

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
But why would they?

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to start pools for which Pokemon are excluded. I will put in $10 for Durant going extinct.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric

Pokémon Let's Go is clearly designed to cater to people very familiar to Pokémon Go and was designed to have a very simplified and streamline experience, compared to a typical Pokémon game (not that a typical Pokémon game is complicated). There is no precedent that Gamefreak is looking to dumb the game down so much it's just a couple of options.

The amount of overreaction in this thread (and many threads it seems) is ridiculous.

Gamefreak is lazy, they should be doing more with the franchise, but not including all the Pokémon isn't the end of the world when there are so many of them.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017

But that was Let's GO which had other objectives compared to a core pokemon rpg and those things are back in SwSh so i don't know why they will bring those things back if they wanted to simplify the game as you say, it makes no sense. And thinking they will get to the point of just 2 attacks and whatever else you said is beyond dumb.

Stating "i wonder what people will say when" means you think that is the path they will go which is not the case an paints a tragectory that is non existent so far, "i wonder what people would say if" it is way more accurate

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You take that back.

You REALLY take that back.
Sorry.

I love the story, aesthetic, music etc. for Mystery Dungeon (the below theme is the theme on my 3DS) but I just cannot stand the gameplay

CQIzCq1WoAAp0Qa

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
The best Pokémon spinoff is Rangers anyway. It ruined my DS screen but I had fun goddammit!

(I was never into MD and never played Conquest)

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Is #DontBringBackNationalDex a meme I missed? I understand that some people don't care about the missing pokemon (especially people who only play the game till they are league champion).

But actually being happy with the fact the game is missing content is something I absolutely don't understand

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I like the MD games well enough but I wish they didn't lock evolution until postgame

RavageDark

Oct 25, 2017
Is #DontBringBackNationalDex a meme I missed? I understand that some people don't care about the missing pokemon (especially people who only play the game till they are league champion).

But actually being happy with the fact the game is missing content is something I absolutely don't understand

Coming from someone who's really apathetic towards the whole situation, I think it has a lot to do with the Gen 1 pandering. Ever since Gen 6, Game Freak did a lot to play to the Genwunners and the people who heavily favor the Gen 1 games (and yes, there is a difference between those two categories), mostly because Pokemon Black and White (i.e., the game(s) where no previous Pokemon were able to be caught until after you beat the story) was often used as the main examples of "everything" that's "wrong" with what the Pokemon series has become.

So, you have Gen 6, where the Kanto starters were not only given to you way in the beginning of the game, but also had final evolution forms that were able to Mega-Evolve while the Kalos starts, to this very day, have yet to receive mega-evolutions (which is a bit screwed, and this is coming from someone who stans Charizard X). Heck, 30% of the Pokemon that can Mega-Evolve come from Gen 1. There's even a bit of pandering in Gen 7, where every single region-variant Pokemon was a variant of Pokemon from Gen 1.

With that happening, I can see how a person tired of the Gen 1 pandering could welcome this happily since it could mean that GF might likely curbed, or at least reduce, the pandering they've been doing, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Coming from someone who's really apathetic towards the whole situation, I think it has a lot to do with the Gen 1 pandering. Ever since Gen 6, Game Freak did a lot to play to the Genwunners and the people who heavily favor the Gen 1 games (and yes, there is a difference between those two categories), mostly because Pokemon Black and White (i.e., the game(s) where no previous Pokemon were able to be caught until after you beat the story) was often used as the main examples of "everything" that's "wrong" with what the Pokemon series has become.

So, you have Gen 6, where the Kanto starters were not only given to you way in the beginning of the game, but also had final evolution forms that were able to Mega-Evolve while the Kalos starts, to this very day, have yet to receive mega-evolutions (which is a bit screwed, and this is coming from someone who stans Charizard X). Heck, 30% of the Pokemon that can Mega-Evolve come from Gen 1. There's even a bit of pandering in Gen 7, where every single region-variant Pokemon was a variant of Pokemon from Gen 1.

With that happening, I can see how a person tired of the Gen 1 pandering could welcome this happily since it could mean that GF might likely curbed, or at least reduce, the pandering they've been doing, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.
Expect the champion has a Charizard, of all things. Chances aren't exactly looking great that the Gen 1 pandering is going to stop. I will be very surprised if any Gen 1 Pokémon gets cut. If that happens then the reaction could get truly scary.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Expect the champion has a Charizard, of all things. Chances aren't exactly looking great that the Gen 1 pandering is going to stop. I will be very surprised if any Gen 1 Pokémon gets cut. If that happens then the reaction could get truly scary.
Yeah I dont think its disgruntled fans upset at gen 1 pandering. Its probably just apathetic trolls. A truly apathetic person probably just avoids the whole convo entirely.

RavageDark

Oct 25, 2017

True. Though, to be fair, with Galar being based on the UK, a huge source of dragon lore, one could make an argument Charizard is in there because of him being rather draconian, but we'll see.

And yeah, you're definitely right on that last part.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Gamefreak is lazy, they should be doing more with the franchise, but not including all the Pokémon isn't the end of the world when there are so many of them.

It is the end of an era though.

I mean, who am I to judge anyone that thinks like you, but that just shows that there are two types of fans: those who actually care about the Pokémon, each of them as individual characters, and those who don't, because there are too many anyways.

I guess both worlds just enjoy Pokémon games for very different reasons (as I said earlier, to me personally the Pokémon game formula in general wouldn't be that appealing if it wasn't actually because of the Pokémon, but to each their own).

Nothing justifies harrassing people, but I do think something like this IS worth all the drama, when it's been part of some of our lives for 20 years.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
The gameplay in Mystery Dungeon is so addicting y'all tripping

I love the artistic / aesthetic part of it all, and the story and such, but the turn based gameplay is kinda disheartening. But the thing that stresses me the most is the limitation in items when you go to explore a dungeon. I hate having to be conscious of it, like keep control of it, instead of just being able to carry / collect all the items I want.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
True. Though, to be fair, with Galar being based on the UK, a huge source of dragon lore, one could make an argument Charizard is in there because of him being rather draconian, but we'll see.

And yeah, you're definitely right on that last part.
Only Mega Charizard X is actually a dragon, and that's definitely not in this game.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I feel yet again I need to explain how Game Freak and Pokémon development works.

Yes, Game Freak is a small company. However, over double the amount of people who work at Game Freak worked on Sun & Moon. Contrary to belief, they do outsource:

Nintendo aid in development of the complex systems including online
Creatures Inc. help with the 3D animation and model creation

They do outsource and they do get staff on when they need help.

They clearly didn't take this decision lightly. This isn't them being lazy or not having enough staff in Game Freak. Let's look at the actual facts here

Game Freak isn't a publicly traded company
They do outsource, but so does every other studio. For development of big HD games you need a large staff and you need to outsource.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Antagonizing another user; ignoring staff post.
Honestly, at this point I just don't care anymore. Game Freak has done absolutely nothing to convince me this game is worth buying, so I'm not gonna buy it, at least not at launch. It's as simple as that.

I didn't buy USUM because it was a DLC pack sold as a separate full game less than a year after SM shipped.

I didn't buy LGPE because it retread a region that's been done to death while simultaneously removing the most interesting parts of it.

And I'm not going to buy SWSH because it's a straight downgrade from SM despite a longer development cycle and more powerful console.

The only way Game Freak will be forced to change is if they see a massive drop in sales. Many attribute the 3D games lack of a complex storyline to Gen V's weak sales, which really just proves my point. If everyone complaining on Twitter cancelled their preorders and either skipped SWSH or bought it used a few weeks later, there's zero chance that the shareholders will let Game Freak ship another game without the full dex available. If the community really wants change, then they need to be willing to not keep giving Game Freak money for subpar experiences.
👏👏 well said!

But then we have members like serebii defending their every move even if it's insulting to fans.

GameFreak can keep their ugly looking, sloppy animated, content deleted game, I am giving them my money no longer.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
You know guys it's ok to call people out without saying their names directly. Especially when you know they post here. Because while you may not agree with that person (I certainly don't agree), it does you no good because it only adds more fuel to the fire and belief that all people who want all Pokemon bad are bad folks. And while it isn't true, it doesn't stop the assumption.

I could be totally wrong in that thought. But the way that other thread about how people need to stop bothering Game Freak went, there was no middle ground in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.