• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Rawiri Waititi calls necktie a 'colonial noose'

The Maori MP who was ejected Tuesday from New Zealand's parliament for not wearing a necktie has been successful in throwing out the dress-code requirement to wear what he calls "a colonial noose."

Rawiri Waititi, co-leader of the Maori Party, confronted the issue on what was the first day parliament sat in 2021, making several attempts to address the chamber before house speaker Trevor Mallard removed him.

Along with a jacket and collared shirt, Waititi wore a Maori pendant around his neck in place of a western-style necktie.

The standing committee in charge of parliamentary procedures, including dress code, met late Tuesday to discuss the matter, Mallard said on Twitter.

"The committee did not reach a consensus but the majority of the committee was in favour of removing a requirement for ties to be part of 'appropriate business attire' for males," Mallard said in the Twitter thread, "… therefore ties will no longer be considered required as part of 'appropriate business attire.'"

The standing order was rescinded in parliament Wednesday morning.

Waititi told The Current host Matt Galloway his stand against the necktie is about far more than a simple dress code.

"This is about cultural identity. This is about the freedom of cultural expression and the freedom of the Indigenous peoples to be able to operate comfortably in a space is not suited for us. We need to ensure that we start to break down the very systems that keep Indigenous peoples in second place."

'Appropriate business attire'

The dress code, established in the Standing Orders of the House of Representatives published in 2003, outlines a requirement to wear "appropriate business attire."

But Waititi said his clothing meets that standard without a western necktie.

"There's many, many of us Indigenous peoples who now own businesses," said Waititi, who operates two consultancy businesses as well as a family farm. "And there's nothing specifically telling us what is the standard business attire. So for Maori, what I was wearing is appropriate business attire."

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I literally wondered if he had an equally snazzy neckwear to replace it when I read the thread title. Turns out he does!

Let this man back in wearing what he wears

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Good for him and any other Maori that are in the parliament.
It was the reasonable thing to do.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Good for him.

"Let's tie a piece of cloth around our necks because reasons" is utterly ridiculous.

JohnDusk

Oct 24, 2018
Colonial noose sounds appropiate. Good for him to have triumphed over those nonsensical and obsolete white traditions.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here in Quebec we have had the same issue, a female politician kept getting harassed over wearing sweaters, hoodies, etc.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Having to meet at committee to talk about dress code is the most pathetic thing

lol there is a time and place to be concerned about rules. I don't understand how people can be so unreasonable.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
In my island where it's hot as fuck I never understood the obsession about suits and necktie. Good for him.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's not the same issue at all, though.

Why not? By harassed I mean politicians would complain in parliament using their speaking time and the president of parliament would play along. I forget if she got kicked out but they did this repeatedly.

They would have used the same arguments against a Native American if did something similar.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus the sight of that old white man on the high bench dressed like a government pope saying that shit is fucked up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Not only did he call out the rule, but got it thrown out. The ability to review and remove arbitrary customs that are prohibitive to minorities is commendable.

Oct 25, 2017
Having to meet at committee to talk about dress code is the most pathetic thing

lol there is a time and place to be concerned about rules. I don't understand how people can be so unreasonable.
Although I'm glad they got rid of the discriminatory dress code, the conduct of a legislative body is exactly the time and place to be concerned about the rules. They literally have a committee for that very reason.