• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

What a messed up story coming out of Alabama. A man by the name of Nathaniel Woods was on death row, and got a temporary stay of execution, which was quickly denied. Execution was carried out, despite evidence showing that he had nothing to do with the murders. Even the supposed gunman confessed, saying that Woods had nothing to do with the crime. What. The. Fuck.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The United States is and has always been a white supremacist country.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It boggles the mind how this shit hasn't been banned yet. So many black lives taken by a racist system.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
More like "A man was executed because of his skin color in Alabama". Deplorable, horrible. Death penalty needs to end, not only is unfair and doesn't have any purpose other than bloodlust, it's also another way for racist to kill the people they hate.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing about Alabama you can't expect much from a state that had a chair affectionately named Yellow Mama.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Alabama, fuck the death penalty, fuck everything.

Oct 30, 2017
Felonious murder is a really really stupid thing. Being able to kill a man who didn't kill someone, but just because he was around when it happened.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The decision came after Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey reviewed the letter requesting a reprieve from the death sentence, but said she would allow the execution to proceed.
www.nytimes.com

Alabama’s Governor, Kay Ivey, Apologizes for Blackface Skit in College (Published 2019)

Some black leaders in Alabama said Thursday that they were still processing the details, but others were calling on her to step down.
From that:
"I offer my heartfelt apologies for the pain and embarrassment this causes, and I will do all I can — going forward — to help show the nation that the Alabama of today is a far cry from the Alabama of the 1960s. We have come a long way, for sure, but we still have a long way to go."

I don't know why she even bothers to pretend.

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018
User Banned (3 Months): Rationalising systemic racism over multiple posts, account in junior phase
There are two sides to every story.

"On June 17, 2004, four Birmingham police officers went to the apartment of Nathaniel Woods, a known drug dealer, to issue a warrant of arrest. Unfortunately, only one of those officers lived to recount the horrendous assault upon him and his fellow officers.

As explained by the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals, the evidence showed that Woods was an integral participant in the intentional murder of these three officers. On the day the officers were killed, Mr. Woods talked to others about killing police officers; he taunted the officers and lured them into his apartment, where he knew they would be met by gunfire; he pointed the gunman to the third police officer; and he escaped with the gunman.

Each officer died of multiple gunshot wounds. Two officers were shot in the back and one in the head, and none of the officers had an opportunity to discharge return fire. In fact, one officer's weapon was still holstered.

The state offered the testimony of 39 witnesses at Woods' capital murder trial, including Officer Michael Collins, 25 other law enforcement officers, and forensic experts. There is no evidence, and no argument has been made, that Nathaniel Woods tried to stop the gunman from committing these heinous crimes. In fact, he later bragged about his participation in these horrific murders. As such, the jury did not view Woods' acts as those of an innocent bystander; they believed that he was a fully engaged participant.

A jury of Mr. Woods' peers convicted him of four counts of capital murder. In the past 15 years, his conviction has been reviewed at least nine times, and no court has found any reason to overturn the jury's decision.

Under Alabama law, someone who helps kill a police officer is just as guilty as the person who directly commits the crime. Since 1983, Alabama has executed two individuals for being an accomplice to capital murder.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I wonder what his skin tone - YUP.

Disgraceful. Just fucking disgraceful.

CNN article on it: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/us/alabama-nathaniel-woods-execution/index.html

A source had told officers that Woods and Spencer were armed and dealing crack to at least 100 customers a day

This is not punishable by death.

Investigators found Spencer in a neighbor's attic, and Woods "was found sitting on a nearby porch, apparently 'very relaxed' and carrying two .22 caliber bullets in his pocket," his letter said.

But no gun. And the SKS rifle that Spencer was using is a 7.62 mm. Ballistics should easily prove that no .22 bullets were fired.

But when all else fails:

"Although Woods was not the shooter, he was hardly an innocent bystander," Marshall wrote, explaining that Woods allegedly bragged about the shootings, threatened a sheriff's deputy and composed drawings and songs boasting of the killings.

Hey, he was no angel, guys. None of those are punishable by death either, as far as I know.

As explained by the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals, the evidence showed that Woods was an integral participant in the intentional murder of these three officers. On the day the officers were killed, Mr. Woods talked to others about killing police officers; he taunted the officers and lured them into his apartment, where he knew they would be met by gunfire; he pointed the gunman to the third police officer; and he escaped with the gunman.

Is this corraborated by anyone who is NOT the surviving officer? You'll have to excuse me, but I'm finding it more and more difficult to trust the word of most officers these days, let alone a single officer with no other witnesses. You noted that there were 39 witnesses; but that doesn't put anyone else in the room.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Capital punishment is the height of barbarism.
No matter the crime commited or not comitted.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death penalty is such a horrible, barbaric system. Even worse when you consider the racial situation in the US.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"On June 17, 2004, four Birmingham police officers went to the apartment of Nathaniel Woods, a known drug dealer, to issue a warrant of arrest. Unfortunately, only one of those officers lived to recount the horrendous assault upon him and his fellow officers.

Each officer died of multiple gunshot wounds. Two officers were shot in the back and one in the head, and none of the officers had an opportunity to discharge return fire. In fact, one officer's weapon was still holstered.

The state offered the testimony of 39 witnesses at Woods' capital murder trial, including Officer Michael Collins, 25 other law enforcement officers, and forensic experts. There is no evidence, and no argument has been made, that Nathaniel Woods tried to stop the gunman from committing these heinous crimes. In fact, he later bragged about his participation in these horrific murders. As such, the jury did not view Woods' acts as those of an innocent bystander; they believed that he was a fully engaged participant.

A jury of Mr. Woods' peers convicted him of four counts of capital murder. In the past 15 years, his conviction has been reviewed at least nine times, and no court has found any reason to overturn the jury's decision.

Under Alabama law, someone who helps kill a police officer is just as guilty as the person who directly commits the crime. Since 1983, Alabama has executed two individuals for being an accomplice to capital murder.
that's the same one side my guy.

he didn't kill anyone.

the other guy did and testified to it.

that article even says "There is no evidence, and no argument has been made, that Nathaniel Woods tried to stop the gunman from committing these heinous crimes." which is an incomprehenisble standard to live up to. the cops that got murdered didn't stop the gunman either and they're trained for this kind of thing.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017

This guy was guilty as fuck. My question would be, are the other people that committed the murders also on death row?

Death penalty is wrong. But this person wasn't innocent.

Dec 31, 2017
I don't really understand. Why is he on death row if he didn't commit the murder? And there is testimony that he didn't. Why continue then? This is an honest question for someone who is more knowledgeable on this.

Because right now this just seems mindbogglingly fucked up.

Edit: I see the clarification above; that makes it a bit more complicated but the death penalty is barbaric either way and shouldn't be applied.

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018

he didn't kill anyone.

that article even says "There is no evidence, and no argument has been made, that Nathaniel Woods tried to stop the gunman from committing these heinous crimes." which is an incomprehenisble standard to live up to. the cops that got murdered didn't stop the gunman either and they're trained for this kind of thing.

Felony murder rule and the person who shot the cops isn't exactly the most trustworthy witness

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I don't really understand. Why is he on death row if he didn't commit the murder? And there is testimony that he didn't. Why continue then? This is an honest question for someone who is more knowledgeable on this.

Because right now this just seems mindbogglingly fucked up.

Edit: I see the clarification above; that makes it a bit more complicated but the death penalty is barbaric either way and shouldn't be applied.

From one of the posts above...

He's just as guilty. Death penalty should never be an option though.

Dec 31, 2017
If he was truly an accomplice to the murder and not simply a bystander as it occurred, then he needed to be punished; determining that is difficult though. Regardless, death penalty was not the answer.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure the future Senator from Alabama, Jefferson Beauregarde Sessions III, was heart broken by this injustice.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Y'all didn't notice one of those headlines citing Clarence Thomas, huh? because there is a black man on the supreme Court, everything's supposed to be okay?

If Trump wins the presidential election, RGB isn't going to last another 4 years. Expect a Sarah Palin-like woman to replace her. That way, when the GOP inevitably overturns Roe versus Wade, they can proudly stick out their chest that a woman made the deciding vote.

And then white women can fist fight their men in the streets for all I care.

it also has shit schools, a shit economy, a shit goverment, i mean why would you want to live there?

Permanent sunlight, low cost of living, beaches, evergreens, tons of (soul/seafood), few crowded urban spaces, 1/4 black population

Felonious murder is a really really stupid thing. Being able to kill a man who didn't kill someone, but just because he was around when it happened.

The Black Tax

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018
Ah, I wonder what his skin tone - YUP.

Disgraceful. Just fucking disgraceful.

CNN article on it: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/us/alabama-nathaniel-woods-execution/index.html

This is not punishable by death.

But no gun. And the SKS rifle that Spencer was using is a 7.62 mm. Ballistics should easily prove that no .22 bullets were fired.

But when all else fails:

Hey, he was no angel, guys. None of those are punishable by death either, as far as I know.

Is this corraborated by anyone who is NOT the surviving officer? You'll have to excuse me, but I'm finding it more and more difficult to trust the word of most officers these days, let alone a single officer with no other witnesses. You noted that there were 39 witnesses; but that doesn't put anyone else in the room.

On the day the officers were killed, Mr. Woods talked to others about killing police officers; he taunted the officers and lured them into his apartment, where he knew they would be met by gunfire; he pointed the gunman to the third police officer; and he escaped with the gunman.

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe

he didn't kill anyone.

If he knew about the murder plans, and lured the cops into the apartment so that his friends could carry out those plans, then yes, I would consider him guilty even if he was not the one who pulled the trigger.