• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
thats-got-to-be-the-best-pirate-ive-ever-seen-pirates-of-the-caribbean.gif
i lol'd

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

You literally linked to a bunch of image collections while trying to argue NFTs aren't just all image collections. I don't know what kind of con you're trying to run here but honestly unironically linking to the "dogepound" absolutely decimated any chance you had at convincing anybody NFTs have more use than just pump'n'dump speculative asset manipulation.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned : antagonizing another user
Personally I've been involved with a couple million dollars worth of NFT sales this year and I'm involved with all kinds of cool NFT projects that have utility in various fashions, I'm even designing an NFT collection currently in which the buyer does get a sublicense for the commercial rights to the media involved

Most of the criticisms towards NFTs are pretty dumb because it's an extremely open ended technology that can be almost anything, and can do basically almost anything too; NFTs with no utility do not actually sell for that much except for the "vintage" NFT collections from like 2017, the big selling NFT collections now all have an actual purpose one way or another, like unlocking content or being used to purchase something or to be staked to earn something

Here's a bunch of cool NFT collections that are not just a series of images:

thedogepoundnft.com

The Doge Pound is a collection of 10,000 unique Doge NFTs on Ethereum Blockchain.

The Doge Pound NFT, also called 'OG Doge' within the community, is a collection of 10,000 NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens) on the Ethereum blockchain. Every OG Doge grants members-only benefits, including early access to new releases from our gaming studio & partners, upcoming P2E games, conferences...
www.cryptokitties.co

CryptoKitties | Collect and breed digital cats!

Collect and trade CryptoKitties in one of the world’s first blockchain games. Breed your rarest cats to create the purrfect furry friend. The future is meow!
www.cyberkongz.com

CyberKongz

Welcome to an alternate reality, where evolution took a different route and weird apes roam the earth. Some appear normal. Some look weird. And some are just damn cool! Every CyberKong is unique and owns randomized items with different rarities.

Hashplants

Digitaly cultivated NFTs
worldofwomen.art

Home - World of Women

World of Women: A community celebrating representation, inclusivity, and equal opportunities for all. United by a first-of-its-kind collection, featuring 10,000 artworks of diverse and powerful women.

Many of these NFT Collections above actually do give commercial rights to the buyers, have multiple functions, change over time, can be "bred" together to make new NFTs, and in general just have a broad road map of all kinds of features involved with the NFTs themselves beyond just being an image. I do not think the randos in here jumping on and hating NFTs are aware of how expansive and rapidly growing this space actually is, and to be honest, I've made this exact type of post like 5 times here on this board and still see the same people taking a dump on NFTs without probably even reading this post
Bro you are in a cult.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Another User
NFTs are hella dumb.

I'd say money laundering and/or pyramid scheme, but yes, "cult" also certainly applies.
Cult absolutely applies to NFT bros. The only other time I've seen this level of dedication to converting people was Jehova's witnesses

Oct 26, 2017
Sort of. In theory you could buy so many mining rigs that you also control most of the PoW in Bitcoin, but you'd also have to be very rich for that.

I'm guessing it's a bit of game theory. The rising prices of mining rigs and mining makes the rich gets richer since it's very difficult to get your foot in the door and after a while with Bitcoin being worth so much, it's a cascading effect of the rich getting richer and gaining more control over the network.

While with PoS, the barrier is set relatively low to create a node, so in the beginning it may be easier to gain 50% of all the nodes if you're willing to throw alot of money into a pit but in time, more and more nodes will spring up, making it more difficult to actually get to a 50% majority.

The idea is that PoW makes a system more centralized as time goes on because the money gets reinvested in more mining rigs by the same people each time and it's nigh impossible in current circumstances to start mining succesfully without a big investment in resources and that PoS makes a system more decentralized as time goes on since the low barrier and decent return rates will keep attracting more new people in the future.

We'll see how it plays out.
Thanks again.
I like the "rich getting richer" argument more than the 50+% argument myself as well. And I agree this is what's happening with Bitcoin. The automatic difficulty increase could have potentially balanced this but it hasn't worked out that way.

In the proof of stake model, it seems like the "rich getting richer" potential is still there, only it has a slightly different form: The more people enter stake into becoming validators, the less valuable an individual node becomes.

So those who own many nodes will be akin to those who own many mining rigs, and will become increasingly valuable to the network.

What seems to be an additional problem: if there is also a currency cap like in Bitcoin, then as the number of validators grows, more currency is being tied up as stake, meaning available currency is scarcer.
Alternatively if there is no cap on the amount of currency this presents a serious problem because no mechanism exists for creation of new currency that doesn't either make the rich even richer (if currency creation is tied to stake) or incentivise over-creation (if it isn't tied to stake).
So either there is potential for validator inflation (akin to Bitcoin's mining difficulty inflation), or there is currency inflation.

Assuming I've understood this properly.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like every bit of "anti-NFT" news is mainly just for people against NFTs to socialize or something.

Because I've not once seen the pro-NFT people even react to any of the "groundbreaking events" that are supposed to hurt the cryptobros.

Has anyone else noticed this? Everything from China banning crypto every 3 months to the right-click meme, yet they march on just fine.

This seems like yet another thing where people will hype it up and it won't matter.

I mean, the grift has to keep grifting. Eg, 'This is actually great news for nfts'

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of NFT discourse papers over the fact that even the most charitable perspective on NFTs is that they are a speculative market like any other but speculative markets, even if they are dumb like tulip mania, are deeply unethical and harmful aspects of capital and generally only enrich the elite and fuck everyone else.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks again.
I like the "rich getting richer" argument more than the 50+% argument myself as well. And I agree this is what's happening with Bitcoin. The automatic difficulty increase could have potentially balanced this but it hasn't worked out that way.

In the proof of stake model, it seems like the "rich getting richer" potential is still there, only it has a slightly different form: The more people enter stake into becoming validators, the less valuable an individual node becomes.

So those who own many nodes will be akin to those who own many mining rigs, and will become increasingly valuable to the network.

What seems to be an additional problem: if there is also a currency cap like in Bitcoin, then as the number of validators grows, more currency is being tied up as stake, meaning available currency is scarcer.
Alternatively if there is no cap on the amount of currency this presents a serious problem because no mechanism exists for creation of new currency that doesn't either make the rich even richer (if currency creation is tied to stake) or incentivise over-creation (if it isn't tied to stake).
So either there is potential for validator inflation (akin to Bitcoin's mining difficulty inflation), or there is currency inflation.

Assuming I've understood this properly.
There's is an extra part of it I didn't go into, but with PoS, and specifically Ethereum since I'm not really up to date with what other chains are doing, is the burning mechanic.

So with Ethereum, there is actual usage of the blockchain. Where Bitcoin is purely a store of value where you mine to keep the network alive, you get paid in bitcoin, and the idea is you can sell bitcoin or use bitcoin to pay for things. This is the most basic thing and is what we're pretty much all familiar with. Bitcoin gets created, miners sell it off, other people buy it because they speculate it will be worth more, miners get an incentive to keep mining to sell of Bitcoin, etc. Bit of a self fullfilling prophecy that really only sustains itself.

Ethereum is trying to be more than a store of value with the whole smart contracts aspect and it being programmable. You can build decentralized apps on it for instance, built layers on top of it for different use cases (currently mostly decentralized finance). Those apps and layers use the security of the ethereum network and for that, they have to pay a fee. So node owners get paid a part of that fee, but part of it is also burned. So all those NFT's for instance that are currently being made on the ethereum chain (be it directly or on another layer of it) burn ether and I believe currently more ether is being burned than there is being created, making it deflationary.

I honestly have no idea how it'll play out. On one hand, people will be able to set up nodes that validate the network and that give you a yield based on how much you have staked. That yield is fresh ether. At the same time, network usage burns ether. During heavy usage of the network as it has been in the last few weeks, it could be that more ether is being burned that created, making it deflationary. At the same time, it makes ether more valuable, making it more interesting to stake your eth and enjoy the yield. So it being deflationary makes it more attractive for people to set up nodes to get a yield which creates more eth, more nodes mean more security, more security and more usage of the blockchain burns eth,...So if I understand correctly, that's supposed to be the ecosystem and we'll have to find out how it balances out in the end. The idea is that those two forces will keep things in check I guess. I should probably read up a bit more on it.

You also have Cardano and Solana already being proof of stake and doing smart contracts but I haven't really checked into how they plan to make it work too much.

Sorry, I'm getting tired so I'm maybe not being as clear as I should be, but I hope it makes somewhat sense. That said, I'm also at the very edge of being comfortable explaining things because I feel I don't really grasp any mechanics deeper than this yet. I have a sense of the big picture but specifics get a bit hazy.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
There's is an extra part of it I didn't go into, but with PoS, and specifically Ethereum since I'm not really up to date with what other chains are doing, is the burning mechanic.

So with Ethereum, there is actual usage of the blockchain. Where Bitcoin is purely a store of value where you mine to keep the network alive, you get paid in bitcoin, and the idea is you can sell bitcoin or use bitcoin to pay for things. This is the most basic thing and is what we're pretty much all familiar with. Bitcoin gets created, miners sell it off, other people buy it because they speculate it will be worth more, miners get an incentive to keep mining to sell of Bitcoin, etc. Bit of a self fullfilling prophecy that really only sustains itself.

Ethereum is trying to be more than a store of value with the whole smart contracts aspect and it being programmable. You can build decentralized apps on it for instance, built layers on top of it for different use cases (currently mostly decentralized finance). Those apps and layers use the security of the ethereum network and for that, they have to pay a fee. So node owners get paid a part of that fee, but part of it is also burned. So all those NFT's for instance that are currently being made on the ethereum chain (be it directly or on another layer of it) burn ether and I believe currently more ether is being burned than there is being created, making it deflationary.

I honestly have no idea how it'll play out. On one hand, people will be able to set up nodes that validate the network and that give you a yield based on how much you have staked. That yield is fresh ether. At the same time, network usage burns ether. During heavy usage of the network as it has been in the last few weeks, it could be that more ether is being burned that created, making it deflationary. At the same time, it makes ether more valuable, making it more interesting to stake your eth and enjoy the yield. So it being deflationary makes it more attractive for people to set up nodes to get a yield which creates more eth, more nodes mean more security, more security and more usage of the blockchain burns eth,...So if I understand correctly, that's supposed to be the ecosystem and we'll have to find out how it balances out in the end. The idea is that those two forces will keep things in check I guess. I should probably read up a bit more on it.

You also have Cardano and Solana already being proof of stake and doing smart contracts but I haven't really checked into how they plan to make it work too much.

Sorry, I'm getting tired so I'm maybe not being as clear as I should be, but I hope it makes somewhat sense. That said, I'm also at the very edge of being comfortable explaining things because I feel I don't really grasp any mechanics deeper than this yet. I have a sense of the big picture but specifics get a bit hazy.
I sincerely appreciate you replying in such detail. It's been tremendously helpful.
I've tried reading about Solana and proof of history but haven't made it very far yet.
As for the burning aspect, it does indeed make Ethereum's model more interesting, as it reinforces the deflationary effect of investing stake to create nodes, but could theoretically also balance the effects of new currency creation. It doesn't really assuage my fears of the rich getting richer though, but like you said time will tell.
Thank you once again for your time and patience!

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's way for the rich to get richer and for money laundering primarily.

It's all a huge scam.

Most money laundered is done in surefire ways. Not many enterprising criminals are going to take their Ill gotten cash through the NFTs wash. There are easier and more established and believable methods out there IE physical art, jewelery, housing, gambling (big one in Canada because for a while you pay zero taxes on wins hehehehehehe), weddings, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
One thing to add to this is that people are giving out over what NFTs are right now. This is fair(ish)* because that's all there is currently to go on, but the potential for NFTs long-term is huge and it will take time to actually unlock that.

I was listening to one of Tim Ferris' podcasts on the topic the other day and the guest made the point now that whenever the internet first launch webpages were basically just digitised versions of a newspaper page in terms of design, layout, what you could do with it, etc. It was skeuomorphic (i.e it took something old that we were used to/from a different form of media and grafted it onto this new tech), but over time webpages evolved and actually utilized the new tech and evolved. The same thing will happen with NFTs, this is just the starting point.

* Note - Just to follow up on this, NFTs aren't just for art/media. There are a huge number of different uses they could have over time (the majority of which we likely don't even know of yet).

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
One thing to add to this is that people are giving out over what NFTs are right now. This is fair(ish)* because that's all there is currently to go on, but the potential for NFTs long-term is huge and it will take time to actually unlock that.

I was listening to one of Tim Ferris' podcasts on the topic the other day and the guest made the point now that whenever the internet first launch webpages were basically just digitised versions of a newspaper page in terms of design, layout, what you could do with it, etc. It was skeuomorphic (i.e it took something old that we were used to/from a different form of media and grafted it onto this new tech), but over time webpages evolved and actually utilized the new tech and evolved. The same thing will happen with NFTs, this is just the starting point.

* Note - Just to follow up on this, NFTs aren't just for art/media. There are a huge number of different uses they could have over time (the majority of which we likely don't even know of yet).
But the starting point of what? Of everything becoming more and more financialized? Why should I want that?

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you think you can right click save an image is pirating an NFT then you don't understand what an NFT is.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Personally I've been involved with a couple million dollars worth of NFT sales this year and I'm involved with all kinds of cool NFT projects that have utility in various fashions, I'm even designing an NFT collection currently in which the buyer does get a sublicense for the commercial rights to the media involved

Most of the criticisms towards NFTs are pretty dumb because it's an extremely open ended technology that can be almost anything, and can do basically almost anything too; NFTs with no utility do not actually sell for that much except for the "vintage" NFT collections from like 2017, the big selling NFT collections now all have an actual purpose one way or another, like unlocking content or being used to purchase something or to be staked to earn something

thedogepoundnft.com

The Doge Pound is a collection of 10,000 unique Doge NFTs on Ethereum Blockchain.

The Doge Pound NFT, also called 'OG Doge' within the community, is a collection of 10,000 NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens) on the Ethereum blockchain. Every OG Doge grants members-only benefits, including early access to new releases from our gaming studio & partners, upcoming P2E games, conferences...
www.cryptokitties.co

Collect and trade CryptoKitties in one of the world’s first blockchain games. Breed your rarest cats to create the purrfect furry friend. The future is meow!
www.cyberkongz.com

CyberKongz

Welcome to an alternate reality, where evolution took a different route and weird apes roam the earth. Some appear normal. Some look weird. And some are just damn cool! Every CyberKong is unique and owns randomized items with different rarities.

Hashplants

Digitaly cultivated NFTs
worldofwomen.art

Home - World of Women

World of Women: A community celebrating representation, inclusivity, and equal opportunities for all. United by a first-of-its-kind collection, featuring 10,000 artworks of diverse and powerful women.

Many of these NFT Collections above actually do give commercial rights to the buyers, have multiple functions, change over time, can be "bred" together to make new NFTs, and in general just have a broad road map of all kinds of features involved with the NFTs themselves beyond just being an image. I do not think the randos in here jumping on and hating NFTs are aware of how expansive and rapidly growing this space actually is, and to be honest, I've made this exact type of post like 5 times here on this board and still see the same people taking a dump on NFTs without probably even reading this post
lol

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I think the biggest disconnect I have about this NFT nonsense is how enthusiastic idiots seem to be about it.

"Fuck yeah! I bought this JPEG of a Lion with snot coming out of his noise and a backwards baseball cap!"

"Cool, that's great....now uh...who on Earth would ever buy it back from you?"

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
If you think you can right click save an image is pirating an NFT then you don't understand what an NFT is.
The actual NFT, the token, is only valuable if social consensus says its valuable. That's why everyone evangelizes so hard, because they need the social consensus to take, fast. Its also why projects like this are important, they're a big fuck you to the idea that we're going to accept these things as valuable.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
I heard a rumor that owning even a single nft causes your breath to smell like a stinky butthole. Anyone know if that's true?

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
User warned: antagonizing other users
ELI5

Can you?

If you can't enforce it, it means squat.

Basically what makes an NFT valuable is the development cycle, utility, road map, community, rarity traits, listings on major marketplaces, blockchain, floor price and brand recognition, art itself is like #28 on what makes an NFT worth something. All of these things I've listed are what makes the NFT both valuable and useful, the art itself is a separate conversation, in which there is a full artistic NFT market for people who want to buy these things just for what they literally look like, but what I and most people are linking here are NFTs explicitly crafted to be invested or used as a financial tool one way or another, on top of having a series of uses that are specific to each NFT. Some NFTs you do get the commercial rights for, some NFTs unlock content, some NFTs have programming to change and morph over time, some NFTs can combine into new NFTs, there's really an endless amount of applications you can do with these things. I have personally been involved with designing the utility of a few different NFT collections at this point, and it's really up to the imagination of the creator as to what you can do with NFTs.

There a few "standard" financial models for investor-grade NFTs, of which the two major models are algorithmic art and card packs, which most of the ones linked here are algorithmic art NFTs in particular. These algorithmic art NFT collections actually cost like 50-100k to produce and market correctly, and also involve literally like months and months of community building before they are worth anything. It's not money laundering like the dumbasses here are repeating over and over, it's a lot of time and effort to make a high selling NFT collection in 2021. Back in 2017 you could make whatever as an NFT and it could potentially be worth tons later on, but we are far beyond that now, as cryptocurrency technology is evolving rapidly and investors and users expect much more now (like the NFTs actually doing something). I'm personally involved in the floor sweeping operations with an algorithmic art NFT collection right now (which means getting the cheapest NFT in the collection to be higher and higher in price), and it involves a lot ways to increase the value of the NFTs overall, and getting awareness that your NFTs even exist.

This is the best selling NFT I've created: https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/amouranth-has-sold-an-nsfw-nft-for-over-90000-3090360

Personally I find the people drive-by shitposting here to be extremely lame and likely have no idea what they are talking about

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Basically what makes an NFT valuable is the development cycle, utility, road map, community, rarity traits, listings on major marketplaces, floor price and brand recognition, art itself is like #28 on what makes an NFT worth something. All of these things I've listed are what makes the NFT both valuable and useful, the art itself is a separate conversation, in which there is a full artistic NFT market for people who want to buy these things just for what they literally look like, but what I and most people are linking here are NFTs explicitly crafted to be invested or used as a financial tool one way or another, on top of having a series of uses that are specific to each NFT. Some NFTs you do get the commercial rights for, some NFTs unlock content, some NFTs have programming to change and morph over time, some NFTs can combine into one new NFTs, there's really an endless amount of applications you can do with these things. I have personally been involved with designing the utility of a few different NFT collections at this point, and it's really up to the imagination of the creator as to what you can do with these things.

There a few "standard" financial models for investor-grade NFTs, of which the two major are algorithmic art and card packs, which most of the ones linked here are algorithmic art NFTs in particular. These algorithmic art NFT collections actually cost like 50-100k to produce and market correctly, and also involve literally like months and months of community building before they are worth anything. It's not money laundering like the dumbasses here are repeating over and over, it's a lot of time and effort to make a high selling NFT collection in 2021. Back in 2017 you could make whatever as an NFT and it could potentially be worth tons later on, but we are far beyond that now, as cryptocurrency technology is evolving rapidly and investors and users expect much more now (like the NFTs actually doing something). I'm personally involved in the floor sweeping operations with an algorithmic art NFT collection right now (which means getting the cheapest NFT in the collection to be higher and higher in price), and it involves a lot ways to increase the value of the NFTs overall, and getting awareness that your NFTs even exist.

This is the best selling NFT I've created: https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/amouranth-has-sold-an-nsfw-nft-for-over-90000-3090360

Personally I find the people drive-by shitposting here to be extremely lame and likely have no idea what they are talking about

Coming here and telling people about successful NFT you have been involved in will turn people against you.

Many of us have our reasons for being against it, the sooner you accept this and stop trying to preach about NFT's the better. Some of us don't want to be converted to this cultlike mindset.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
wrong on every level. when you buy the matrix on vhs, it doesn't preclude others from owning their own copy, which is supposedly the point of nfts.

thus the scam. you're buying a receipt that entitles you to literally nothing.
Cant there be several of identical copies of the same data/media while still being a NTF? Or does every NTF have to have different data in them, even if its just one byte different? I am genuinely wondering.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
Basically what makes an NFT valuable is the development cycle, utility, road map, community, rarity traits, listings on major marketplaces, blockchain, floor price and brand recognition, art itself is like #28 on what makes an NFT worth something. All of these things I've listed are what makes the NFT both valuable and useful, the art itself is a separate conversation, in which there is a full artistic NFT market for people who want to buy these things just for what they literally look like, but what I and most people are linking here are NFTs explicitly crafted to be invested or used as a financial tool one way or another, on top of having a series of uses that are specific to each NFT. Some NFTs you do get the commercial rights for, some NFTs unlock content, some NFTs have programming to change and morph over time, some NFTs can combine into new NFTs, there's really an endless amount of applications you can do with these things. I have personally been involved with designing the utility of a few different NFT collections at this point, and it's really up to the imagination of the creator as to what you can do with NFTs.

There a few "standard" financial models for investor-grade NFTs, of which the two major models are algorithmic art and card packs, which most of the ones linked here are algorithmic art NFTs in particular. These algorithmic art NFT collections actually cost like 50-100k to produce and market correctly, and also involve literally like months and months of community building before they are worth anything. It's not money laundering like the dumbasses here are repeating over and over, it's a lot of time and effort to make a high selling NFT collection in 2021. Back in 2017 you could make whatever as an NFT and it could potentially be worth tons later on, but we are far beyond that now, as cryptocurrency technology is evolving rapidly and investors and users expect much more now (like the NFTs actually doing something). I'm personally involved in the floor sweeping operations with an algorithmic art NFT collection right now (which means getting the cheapest NFT in the collection to be higher and higher in price), and it involves a lot ways to increase the value of the NFTs overall, and getting awareness that your NFTs even exist.

It's not a JPEG, It's a lifestyle

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Coming here and telling peopke about successful NFT you have been involved in will turn people against you.

Many of us have our reasons for being sfsibsg it, the sooner you accept this and stop trying to preach about NFT's the better. Some of us don't want to be converted to this cultlike mindset.
How are NFTs like a cult?

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Coming here and telling peopke about successful NFT you have been involved in will turn people against you.

Many of us have our reasons for being sfsibsg it, the sooner you accept this and stop trying to preach about NFT's the better. Some of us don't want to be converted to this cultlike mindset.

I mean it's not a cult? It doesn't have to be this crazy heightened thing where NFTs are either evil or amazing, it's just a vague, open-ended technology that can be used however. There's clearly a humongous amount of people on this forum that absolutely hate NFTs and it seems ridiculous to me, and I'm expecting those same people to spit bile at me every time I post here

Like it's not some crazy doomsday technology ruining the world and it's not god's gift to man, it's just another way people can make art or money or both

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
by that logic movies, tv shows and music are scams because people can pirate them for free too
I was curious how you could make such a breathtakingly disingenuous analogy, but seeing you have a direct financial stake in this explains a lot better the use of the "you wouldn't steal a car" playbook of "let's mire the conversation with really bad comparisons".

I know you have other replies after this one and I have read them. I actually do understand what you are saying here and over the course of your posts. But I think there's an issue with your posts that is worth challenging that also summarizes some of the tension with blockchain technology in general. There is theory, of what the technology could be used for, and there is the reality, of what the technology is being used for right now.

You are correct that there are theoretical applications for NFTs to represent deeds, licenses, and rights. Some of these things might even be practical, useful, and good. However the reality of NFTs is they are exclusively being used to promote arbitrary ownership of mass produced commercial images. This is the brand of the technology. This is the image of the technology. And right now, this is also the reality of the technology. So when people react to the technology and its applications, it is not really reasonable to expect people to overlook the immediate reality of the tech in favor of thinking broadly and respect hypothetical applications instead. Because even if the technology could be used to transfer ownership of deeds, titles, and licenses, it is not being used for that. People hate what is is being used for. When that is the only thing the technology is being used for, it is not unreasonable to condemn the technology.

Everything NFTs are being used for right now, and the concept of the technology being promoted by its early adopters, undermines what you believe are its longterm practical applications. All of the talking points of NFT art collectors inspire very little confidence in the legitimacy and longevity of the tech because everything they believe is predicated on insular, manufactured concepts of ownership and authenticity. They are not concepts that people broadly agree with or support - they are, in fact, concepts people vehemently oppose. So when people go on to say how the technology can be used for other more important things as well, people have no trust in those ideas because the proof of concept has gone, and continues to go, absolutely terribly.

Your tone about how people do not understand what they're criticizing is also part of the problem here. Critics of this technology and how it is being used think its proselytes are deranged, detached, and delusional. The art is hideous. The concept of ownership is totally artificial. The attempt to impose limitations on something previously unlimited on the internet is seen as ideologically heinous. People involved with the market for these tokens are universally either deeply dishonest or exceedingly naive. People view NFT proponents so negatively because their perspective is so unrelatable and so offputting that the only possible response is hostility or hilarity. So when NFT champions say that the masses just don't get it and don't understand what they're criticizing, it just contributes further to this idea that their way of thinking is unique entirely to them and cannot be reconciled with reality.

Because the reality, right now, is that NFTs are being forced in to spaces that people find objectionable and offensive and it does a very poor job proving the hypothetical applications in the future that might be better. So it's not that people don't get it, it's that it doesn't matter because that's not the reality we live in.

I keep tweaking this to try not to come across as hostile but I'm also trying to demonstrate the intensity of people's opposition to the way the technology is used. So I will pad the post and try to clarify that I am trying to demonstrate hostility towards the concepts, not towards you personally. I hope that comes across clearly.
This is the best articulated and most accurate explanation I've seen on the issue. Thank you for this.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I went outside and picked up this cool rock. I can personally guarantee it's completely unique and there's only 1 of it. It can't be copied or replicated.

Only I possess this rock, no one else. I'll sell it for a million dollars, because you know... It's unique.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing against the concept of NFTs (on a PoS network anyway) but you cannot say that they are in a functional or sustainable state as is

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I work with Amouranth and many other large creators and give them a cut of anything they are involved in
So basically merchandising for relatively famous people? Do you work only with large creators or do you also do your own thing and make money that way?

Regardless, I remember you having a rough time a long time ago on the old site, so glad you are doing well now.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
oh, you mean like how money works then.
Yes, exactly. The current financial system we have is also stupid, and I'm doing my best to convince other people of that fact as well, but at least money has some demonstrable material and social utility in the world. Was that supposed to be a gotcha? Because all the crypto folks seem to be the ones desperately, desperately trying to prove that they can remove social consensus from life and make everything a programmatic "execution of code"

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

thedogepoundnft.com

www.cryptokitties.co

www.cyberkongz.com

CyberKongz

Hashplants

Digitaly cultivated NFTs
worldofwomen.art

Home - World of Women

You tell 'em! I just NFT'd just now based off that doge pound. Did I NFT correctly?