• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
106267030-1574801549542tru11.jpg

106267033-1574801549542tru9.jpg

106267028-1574801549541tru6.jpg

106267026-1574801549541tru1.jpg

More details and pics in the article here:

Here's a video from the news too:

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "I don't want to grow up" is kinda corny. Kids want to grow up. That statement seems more directed at dads.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
The one in NJ is in prime traffic real estate. Right next to the AMC movie theater in the mall and the pet store with puppies in the window.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The "I don't want to grow up" is kinda corny. Kids want to grow up. That statement seems more directed at dads.
Not sure if you're aware or not but it was used in their commercials back in the day. I agree it's dated now but they're trying for nostalgia for a certain generation.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna grow up. I'm a Toys 'R Us kid.

Now they've done a redesign, I feel like I did.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
That's honestly way better than I expected.

But man, c'mon, Nintendo - you've been using those same exact portraits in every retail store for like a decade now.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feb 4, 2018
This is a super smart redesign.

Based off the pictures, it seems like they are now aiming to be a Best Buy for Kids: Dump excess inventory that isn't moving, sell that newly opened up floor space to a company who can build out a big kiosk and then watch said company turn around and use their in-store presence to influence your foot traffic's purchasing decisions.

With this new business model, if you're Toys R Us, you don't care if your foot traffic walks out and buys Nerf products from Amazon because Nerf already paid you for the floor space and if you're Nerf, you don't care where the customer bought it from as long as the customer was nudged to buy that product by playing with it in Toys R Us.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a super smart redesign.

Based off the pictures, it seems like they are now aiming to be a Best Buy for Kids: Dump excess inventory that isn't moving, sell that newly opened up floor space to a company who can build out a big kiosk and then watch said company turn around and use their in-store presence to influence your foot traffic's purchasing decisions.

With this new business model, if you're Toys R Us, you don't care if your foot traffic walks out and buys Nerf products from Amazon because Nerf already paid you for the floor space and if you're Nerf, you don't care where the customer bought it from as long as the customer was nudged to buy that product by playing with it in Toys R Us.

I'm excited to see where this new business model takes them.

Gonna need a lot more than 2 stores, though.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
The hell, it has like 5 things that are even for sale, like you're buying high-end electronics or something. It used to have packed shelves like a Wal-Mart. Who is this for?

It's designed around a lot of hands on experiences and play rather than being a simple store. Look at the Nerf picture. There's a shooting range you can try and shoot their guns at.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So they basically went from having way too much, to extremely concentrated on the brands that really matter.

It's smart, but kind of a bummer.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I hope it translates into actual sales. I can see a lot of parents have their kids play here/be dropped off for "store daycare" than leaving, so I'm curious what type of retention it will have with actual purchases. I hope they still price match too, or else it might be another Amazon showroom floor (even though Amazon sucks with their toy supply).

It looks great and I do hope this new model works, but I do worry.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I hope it translates into actual sales. I can see a lot of parents have their kids play here/be dropped off for "store daycare" than leaving, so I'm curious what type of retention it will have with actual purchases. I hope they still price match too, or else it might be another Amazon showroom floor (even though Amazon sucks with their toy supply).

It looks great and I do hope this new model works, but I do worry.

Do parents these days leave their kids in retail spaces? Like the 90s?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Do parents these days leave their kids in retail spaces? Like the 90s?

Yup, they did 10 years ago at my old job, and they still do in places where my friends work, too. Especially if the store has a toy section. It's called "let the kid do whatever and open everything, and walk away to avoid paying for anything".

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I went to my local Toys R Us a year or so before they closed down and was baffled by how much product they had and the size of the store. It's no surprise they lost money the way it was structured.

Those pictures look perfect for a redesign and like others said let vendors come in and pay you to set up whatever they want.

Happy it's still around in some capacity, though im sure plenty of past employees that got let go probably never got what they deserved.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I went to my local Toys R Us a year or so before they closed down and was baffled by how much product they had and the size of the store. It's no surprise they lost money the way it was structured.

Those pictures look perfect for a redesign and like others said let vendors come in and pay you to set up whatever they want.

Happy it's still around in some capacity, though im sure plenty of past employees that got let go probably never got what they deserved.
They weren't losing money though; they were profitable.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Toys "R" Us is forever dead.

This is a new company called Tru Kids that bought the name from the dead company to slap on this kids playground thing they were already designing.