• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Over the last 2~ months I've basically been binging the everliving hell out of Final Fantasy XIV, and having just finished the Shadowbringers MSQ the other day The Twinning - one of the current "Expert Roulette" dungeons - blew me away with how it ties into the Shadowbringers main story, as well as direct callouts to raid stories from A Realm Reborn, Heavensward, and Stormblood.

First, the song in question:

For obvious reasons, folks *love* this song. It's frentic, full of energy, and just a blast to listen to - if that's all it was, it would still likely be one of my favorite songs in the game, but there's a ton more to the song below the surface.

First off, the song makes liberal use of a leitmotif from the second stage of the Crystal Tower Alliance Raid series, Syrcus Tower. This part in particular:

From a lore standpoint, this makes perfect sense. The Twinning takes place in the Crystal Tower, and the opening room is *very* reminiscent of the opening sections of Syrcus Tower. It's probably the most obvious inspiration in the song, though far from the only one of note.

Next, the filtered vocal track in the song is very similar to the filter used in the Alexander raids:

This is admittedly not an obvious connection at first, but one that does become undeniable later on in the dungeon when the final boss is quite literally a reconstructed Alexander, and even uses a remixed version of the Alexander boss theme as their own.

Finally, the last musical reference in the track is to eScape from the Omega raids, itself a reference to Azys Lla. While the filter used on the vocals in A Long Fall are undeniably closer to those found in the Alexander raids, the vocals themselves are actually directly lifted from a theme in the Omega raids:

The reason why this is especially cool is that the lore of The Twinning is directly about how Garlond Ironworks struggled to find a way to prevent the Eighth Umbral Calamity, and your death, by researching your deeds in the Crystal Tower, Alexander, and Omega - before finally settling on using Omega-inspired tech alongside their own knock-off Alexander in order to send the actual Crystal Tower across both time and space.

So - the song *directly ties these three sources of inspiration together*.

I already loved Shadowbringers a ton, but as a total music nerd seeing how all of this content that I'd been doing in the lead up to Shadowbringers not only has a purpose in the actual narrative of FFXIV, but can see direct callouts in seemingly the most innocuous of places. I absolutely love this dungeon, and Soken is a *god* for managing to do its lore justice with his music.

Shamdeo

Oct 25, 2017
Minnesnowta
ZV2g41w.gif

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Twinning is incredible and helps tell the story without reading the datalogs scattered throughout the dungeon. Having played the Crystal Tower, Alexander and Omega raid series, players can immediately put it all together once Locus begins playing. Not to mention the big show don't tell moment at the final boss.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played FF XIV at all, but that's great. I love it when games and other media do things like this. Repeating leitmotifs and reprising musical themes and elements at just the right time can create emotional responses like nothing else can.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Soken is very good with leitmotifs, he uses them all over the place to great effect. Just wait till you hear some of the Eden tracks.

Great to see another Shadowbringers fan join the ranks!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The best dungeons in the game are ones like The Twinning that actually add to the story.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, the Twinning is incredible and helps tell the story without reading the datalogs scattered throughout the dungeon. Having played the Crystal Tower, Alexander and Omega raid series, players can immediately put it all together once Locus begins playing. Not to mention the big show don't tell moment at the final boss.

Extra shout-out to some of the final regular enemies in the dungeon proper being a gag on Wedge's silly kettle from Omega!

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommend this video, it's a music producer that knows a lot of ffxiv that goes over the song very thoroughly. Love the song, the music this expansion has been such step up

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still kind of sad they didn't give Revolutions the Answers or Dragonsong treatment, and have it play during a meaningful big boss battle.

but i do love Tsukuyomi's theme so it's fine i guess

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
Wait til you do the Nier Crossover 24 man raid, The Copied Factory.

The final boss fight music is incredible.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This song slaps, hard. I'm bummed out I didn't get to endgame quick enough for The Twinning to be in the Expert Roulette dungeon rotation.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I lost it throughout this entire dungeon. This is one of the tracks I go back and listen to most from ShB.