• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Mist's earlier thread reminded me that I had this list saved up for a while; might as well share it!
_

The Civilization series' music has long been one of its most lauded elements, and the recent games' use of interpretations of existing cultural melodies to represent each civilization stands out. I've found it a fun little anthropological exercise to compare the themes in the game to their inspirations, so I've compiled a list matching each civilization's Atomic era theme to its original cultural reference(s) to share with everyone. Special thanks to the Civfanatics forum for the more obscure pieces.

America --- Hard Times Come Again No More

Arabia --- Banat Iskandaria (also known by its Turkish version as Kâtibim)

Australia --- Waltzing Matilda

Aztec --- Original improvisations based on traditional Nahua music

Brazil --- Brejeiro

Canada --- Vive la Canadienne / O Canada

China --- Mò Lì Huā

Cree --- Selected songs from Drums of the Poundmaker by the Tootoosis family

Egypt --- El Helwa Di

England --- Scarborough Fair

France --- Tourdion: Quand je bois du vin clairet

Georgia --- Shen Khar Venakhi / Tsaiqvanes Tamar Kali

Germany --- Ich hab die Nacht geträumet / Wenn ich ein Vöglein wär

Greece --- Song of the Seikilos Epitaph (the oldest known surviving complete musical composition)

Hungary --- Hej Dunáról fúj a szél / Cinege, Cinege

Inca --- Siempre Macho

India --- Vaishnava Jana To

Indonesia --- Rejang Dewa / Bapang Selisir

Japan --- Lullaby of Itsuki (here's a cool video of the song being broadcast in Itsuki Village in Kumamoto Prefecture, where the song originated)

Khmer --- Khmer Rourm Sam Mawgee

Kongo --- Banaha

Korea --- Arirang

Macedon --- Tino Mori

Maori --- Pōkarekare Ana / Ka Mate

Mali --- Mali Sadio / Masana Cisse

Mapuche --- Ostensibly an original composition based on traditional Mapuche music; Chilean commenters have noted a resemblance to the song Arauco tiene una pena

Mongolia --- Ukhert Khuiten Khoyor / Bor Boriin Byalzuuhai

Netherlands --- Gaillarde e L'esmerillone, Merck toch hoe sterck

Norway --- Gjendines Bådnlåt

Nubia --- Allah Musau

Ottomans --- Yelkenler Biçilecek / Ey büt-i nev edâ olmuşum müptelâ

Persia --- Kereshmeh, Reng-e Shalakhu

Phoenicia --- Marcelle Duchesne-Guillemin's interpretation of the Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal no. 6 (the earliest known melody)

Poland --- Hej idę w las

Rome --- Magna Mater

Russia --- Kalinka (probably best known internationally from its use in Tetris)

Scotland --- Scotland the Brave / Bonnie Dundee

Scythia --- Original composition based on traditional duduk melodies

Spain --- Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Sumeria --- Richard Drumbrill's interpretation of the Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal no. 6

Sweden --- Slängpolska efter Byss-Calle / Polska efter Pelle Fors / Helan Går

Zulu --- Uthe Ubhuti Asizomlanda / Halala / Shaka Mamba / Hayisa

Feel free to issue any corrections or share any better renditions!

Last edited:

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, this is a great idea for a thread. Subbed! Going to take the time to listen to all of these when I have the chance.

Halala is amazing. Ahhh.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Arabian theme "Katibim" was actually composed by a Greek musician, how did it end up as the theme of Arabia? It does have multiple versions in many languages but it's mainly a Balkan song.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Instantly bookmarking this thread, great stuff!
Waltzing Matilda was the first song I learned on piano and I think this version is my favorite rendition

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
The historical significance of the Seikilos Epitaph song is staggering. I can't help but wonder what the composer would think of their music transcending literally thousands of years.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Arabian theme "Katibim" was actually composed by a Greek musician, how did it end up as the theme of Arabia? It does have multiple versions in many languages but it's mainly a Balkan song.

Yeah I'm not sure. I do know that it's a popular tune in Arab countries, but it's mostly known by its Turkish version. The composer has talked about his process before; I might see if I can find if he's said anything about why he chose it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Thanks for this compilation. Btw wandering Sweden's link is coupled with the previous one.

Also tickled me that Australia's Civ6 song has that many views. Guess not many know that it's actually a very depressing one.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely amazing, thank you! Will definitely be bookmarking this thread to check them all out.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia's medieval theme is like the best rendition of Waltzing Matilda I've ever heard.

Banaha and Hard Times are pretty great too.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
That arabia theme reminds me of another song one about a russian and a cat that really was gone.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Civ 6's rendition of Kalinka is so great

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
YES wandering!

This is awesome. I listen to the Civ VI soundtrack all of the time, it's so great. This will be a lovely accompanying playlist.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
Thanks, OP.

During closure ceremony on Russia World Cup, they sang some kind of happy song, I began humming it, I didn't know why... Then I remember it was the same song from Russia on Civ 6. Lol