• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your Favorite PS Vita Song in the OP?

• King of Wishful Thinking – Go West (1990)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Missing You – John Waite (1984)

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Simply the Best – Tina Turner (1991)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Back to You – Selena Gomez (2018)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just a Dream – Nelly (2010)

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Still into You – Paramore (2013)

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Viva la Vida – Coldplay (2008)

Votes: 20 47.6%

• Total voters

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
1200px-PlayStation-Vita-1101-FL.jpg

Even if you were not a devotee of the system, I hope you will enjoy this short trip down memory lane.

Love and loss. Joy and sorrow. Pride and struggle. Throughout all of human history, generations of artists have used the musical medium to express emotions and experiences and impart upon us impressions that live beyond their era. As Sappho wrote, our beauty and bodies may fade, but our music lives forever, and in this music our infinite appreciation for the PS Vita lives eternal.

Many artists have devoted their work to describe their relationships with this seminal PlayStation handheld. "Vita Songs", or songs about how much artists miss the PlayStation Vita, are such a part of our cultural DNA that they surely don't need to be pointed out. But for fun, I thought I'd rank my favorite Vita Songs below.

Please pardon any typos, I am posting this from the on-screen keyboard on my PSV web browser! :)

King of Wishful Thinking – Go West (1990)
If I don't listen to the talk of the town
Then maybe I can fool myself

I'll get over you I know I will
I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
And I'll tell myself I'm over you
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking
I'm the king of wishful thinking
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZUz4C6kqk

An all-around classic in every respect, this turn-of-the-90s bop captures the post-support period of the Vita's life cycle where dedicated players tried to move on from their favorite device. With so many hours invested and so much appreciation for the vast library, writer and performer Peter Cox portrays a heartbroken gamer trying to move on from a machine with no proper successor. "I thought I'd get over it," he told Rolling Stone in 1992, "I tried to accept there just wasn't a market for this kind of device anymore. But then again, I was still there, wasn't I? Sometimes it didn't feel that way."

This song is famous for being featured in Pretty Woman, a modern Cinderella story about a wealthy business man who unexpectedly falls in love with a gamer girl, for which Julia Roberts was nominated for an Academy Award.

Missing You – John Waite (1984)
I hear your name in certain circles
And it always makes me smile
I spend my time thinkin' about you
And it's almost driving me wild

I ain't missing you at all (Missing you)
Since you've been gone away (Missing you)
I ain't missing you (Missing you)
No matter what I might say (Missing you)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e157Ner90

Similar in spirit and tone, I would be remiss not to mention John Waite's "Missing You" as the forefather to the above. Another chart-topping hit, John Waite's "Missing You" exemplifies the feeling of nostalgia in the years following the Vita's abandonment and the denial certain players adopted in an attempt to move on from the system. "The biggest thing for me was that the PS Vita was absolutely the best way to play PS1 games," said John Waite on VH1's I Love the 80's Strikes Back– 1984 "I tried to think, okay, I'll just play new games for a while. I don't need to play those old games. All these years later I still miss them."

Sony recently announced that PlayStation 1 and PSP titles would be coming to their subscription membership service PlayStation Plus. As of now, Vita titles themselves have not been announced.

Simply the Best – Tina Turner (1991)
Give me a lifetime of promises and a world of dreams
Speak a language of love like you know what it means
Mmm, and it can't be wrong
Take my heart and make it strong, baby

You're simply the best
Better than all the rest
Better than anyone
Anyone I've ever met
I'm stuck on your heart
I hang on every word you say
Tear us apart
Baby, I would rather be dead
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5E8ie2pdM

"What the PS Vita did for me was just reaffirm my love for video games. And not just video games right now, but a whole lifetime of video games," explained Tina Turner in a press interview ahead of the HBO documentary Tina – which follows the life and career of its eponymous subject.

While many Vita Songs prioritize the heartache of loss, Tina Turner's iconic anthem celebrates the Vita in its prime. Its lyrics lionize the device and its library as the top of its class, and embraces it with the dedicated totality that became the norm for so many of its fans. Many years have passed since the retirement of the handheld, but for those who basked in its splendor it is still "simply the best" there has ever been.

Tina Turner's song gained renewed acclaim in recent years when an acoustic arrangement was featured on the popular Canadian television sitcom Schitt's Creek. "I didn't want to lose the rawness of it," explained Noah Reid, who plays the character of Patrick on the show. "I didn't want to lose the honesty and emotion of the original, I wanted to bring that out in a different way. I am honored that Vita fans are so touched by our interpretation."

Back to You – Selena Gomez (2018)
You know, my thoughts are running loose
It's just a thing you make me do
And I could fight, but what's the use
I know I'd go back to you

I wanna hold you when I'm not supposed to
When I'm lying close to someone else
You're stuck in my head and I can't get you out of it
If I could do it all again
I know I'd go back to you
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY1eFxgRR-k

Lots of Vita Songs sought to capture the loss of the Vita from the gaming landscape, but one of the first entries into the canon in a post-Switch world was Back to You. Written for the controversial Netflix drama 13 Reasons Why, this lead single describes the haunting guilt of leaving the Vita behind as player attempt to embrace the Nintendo Switch.

Gomez has been cryptic about the song's personal meeting to her, declining to confirm whether the feelings are her own. But this stunning mood poem touches on the taboo of "Vita Guilt", a term first coined by Christina Aguilera on her time judging for the NBC musical competition The Voice. "We couldn't talk about it. No one was talking about it. We were supposed to be happy [with the Switch], but I don't know anyone who wouldn't go back if they could."

Shortly after Aguilera retired from her position on the show to spend more time with her family.

While cagey about the song's meaning, Gomez did have this to say on the red carpet at the American Music awards in response to what the lyrics were really about: "I think if you know, you know."

Just a Dream – Nelly (2010)
I was thinking 'bout her (uh), thinking 'bout me (hey)
Thinking 'bout us (us), what we gon' be (hey)
Opened my eyes, yeah, it was only just a dream (hey)
So I travelled back (uh) down that road
Will she come back? (Back) No one knows
I realize, yeah, it was only just a dream

When I be ridin', man, I swear I see her face at every turn
Tryna get my Usher on but I can't let it burn
And I just hope she know that she the only one I yearn for
More and more I miss her, when will I learn?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6O2ncUKvlg

"It killed me to see Gravity Rush 2 on PS4," Nelly told Vibe. "The PS4 port of Gravity Rush… it didn't affect me the same way. She was still my girl. But Gravity Rush 2 was a reality check. She was gone. I still had my Vita, but that was the first time I felt empty-handed."

For as vast as its library was, the PS Vita was not known for its exclusives. This is perhaps why players held what few it had so dearly and in such esteem. Nelly's Just a Dream, written about the protagonist Kat from Gravity Rush, exemplifies this passion for the Vita's noteworthy titles and the pain of seeing that franchise leave the Vita behind. Anyone who has ever loved and lost can relate to the difficulty in seeing an old sweetheart move on without you, making Nelly's love letter to Gravity Rush a timeless song.

Still into You – Paramore (2013)
Can't count the years on one hand
That we've been together
I need the other one to hold you
Make you feel, make you feel better
It's not a walk in the park
To love each other
But when our fingers interlock
Can't deny, can't deny you're worth it

'Cause after all this time, I'm still into you

I should be over all the butterflies
But I'm into you (I'm into you)
And baby even on our worst nights
I'm into you (I'm into you)
Let 'em wonder how we got this far
'Cause I don't really need to wonder at all
Yeah, after all this time, I'm still into you
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OblL026SvD4

In an editorial, music journalist Jon Savage commented "[Vita] Songs don't have to be sad. I think there's a tendency to think they're all sad, but many people still celebrate their time with the Vita today just as they did in its prime." Paramore's Still Into You, one of their biggest breakout hits, captures this sentiment better than almost any other in its category.

"I still love the Vita! I will always love the Vita! So I wanted to write a song about that," said Hayley Williams in an early interview with AOL.

There is a tendency among Vita fans to lament the loss of the Vita as a contemporary machine as the end of an era, but the love for the Vita remains as a dedicated sect of the gaming community. When Sony attempted to delist titles accessible on the PS Vita, the outcry against the decision was so resounding that Sony pulled back. Jim Ryan, CEO of PlayStation, responded: "Upon further reflection, however, it's clear that we made the wrong decision here. So today I'm happy to say that we will be keeping the PlayStation Store operational for PS3 and PS Vita devices."

After all this time, we are still into the Vita. That doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. As the machine takes on a second life as a homebrew and emulation machine, one wonders if Sony's lack of support for the machine will still sting the way it once did. Perhaps there is something to be said that the Vita is now truly "for the players" alone.

Viva la Vida – Coldplay (2008)
I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listened as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead, long live the king"

One minute I held the key
Next, the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing
Roman cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason, I can't explain
Once you'd gone, there was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE

I know, I know. There's a lot of you that just cringed on reading this. Viva la Vida, perhaps the most famous Vita requiem of all time, is a basic cheugy singalong. This is the kind of Vita Song your mom listens to in the car. I get it! But we have to be honest: it's famous for a reason. Viva la Vida, for as overplayed as it was, is the Vita Song and it deserves to be recognized for its impact.

Viva la Vida, a retrospective of sorts on the legacy of handhelds in general, examines the difficulty of transitioning away from the future once thought was inevitable. Regardless of how the PSP performed against the Nintendo DS, or how the Vita performed against the 3DS, handhelds were part of the gaming ecosystem that players took for granted. Regardless of any ups and downs, regardless of how the market changed, handhelds would endure. Looking back, this sounds tragically naïve. Processing that naivete is at the heart of Viva la Vida, as is letting go of years of pride Vita fans had built up for their preferred machine in particular.

While Viva la Vida might not your favorite song to listen to anymore, I think it's still worth going back to as on of the Vita's most somber love letters. While many Vita Songs capture just one dimension of what it means to love the machine, Viva la Vida manages to portray a far fuller spectrum of experience. This will still be the first song I think of when I think of the PS Vita. I think that's true for a lot of people too, even if they don't want to admit it.

-----------

I know I probably haven't said anything that hasn't been said before but I love to reminisce about the Vita this time of year. I hope you enjoyed thinking about the Vita and hearing about my favorite songs that are all explicitly and unambiguously about the PSV. There are so many other songs out there, what are your favorite Vita Songs? When you want to remember how much you loved the PS Vita, which songs do you listen to? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

If we manage to put together a list of enough songs that are 100% about the PS Vita specifically, maybe we can make a playlist we can share so everyone can enjoy those songs together.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
do you have a song about modding your system so you can switch between your japanese psn account that has 99% of your games and your north american psn account that has literally nothing but power stone collection and misadventures of tron bonne

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I applaud you for how much effort you put into what could easily be a shitpost.

Basically the opposite of how Sony treated the Vita.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
People think that "Sweet Leaf" by Black Sabbath was a song about Marihuana, but it actually is about the Vita. They made it sound as if it was about weed instead because of how Taboo it was to be a Vita player for a while.

When I first met you, didn't realize
I can't forget you or your surprise
You introduced me to my mind
And left me wanting you and your kind

Straight people don't know what you're about
They put you down and shut you out
You gave to me a new belief
And soon the world will love you sweet leaf

They were totally right with the lyrics

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
do you have a song about modding your system so you can switch between your japanese psn account that has 99% of your games and your north american psn account that has literally nothing but power stone collection and misadventures of tron bonne
I'm really glad you asked this because it gives me the opportunity to clear up a common point of confusion in the realm of Vita Songs.

Lots of people mistakenly identify "Turning Japanese" by The Vapors as a song about cracking your Vita to get access to the JP PSN shop. This is a entirely a mistake on the part of listeners, as this off-color 80s song is simply about feeling out of place in your own life after a breakup. People tend to hear what they want to hear though, which is why this always shows up on Top 10 Vita Song lists. It's a real pet peeve of mine.

For a song actually about region breaking, look no further than Ariana Grande's pop hit "Break Free" from 2014. While not one of my personal favorites, the song captures Ariana Grande's post-Nickelodeon growth as a consumer. As part of her contract with the network she needed to be publicly anti-homebrew and this was just not the image she wanted for herself as an artist with more independence. Break Free isn't a particularly sophisticated song, but it makes it clear that she isn't going to settle for US PSN anymore and download the games she really wants.

This song is, ostensibly, about importing an orange Vita from Japan and installing custom firmware.

You were better, deeper
I was under your spell
Like a deadly, fear I am, babe
On the highway to hell

I only want to die alive
Never by the hands of a broken heart
Don't wanna hear you lie tonight
Now that I've become who I really am

This is the part when I say I don't want ya'
I'm stronger than I've been before
This is the part when I break free
Cause I can't resist it no more

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I applaud you for how much effort you put into what could easily be a shitpost.

Basically the opposite of how Sony treated the Vita.

I'm AustinJ, and this is my favorite thread on resetera.com.
I appreciate your positive feedback because this topic definitely has an extremely narrow audience. But is so slow at work today so I mostly wrote it for my own enjoyment. I am pleased you enjoyed it too.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Did you know A Thousand Hours by The Cure was written when Robert Smith's 64GB memory card tragically corrupted? The worst nightmare of all us on #VITAISLAND. The lyrics really capture the despair of realising your P4G clear data was not backed up to the cloud. Harrowing stuff.

www.youtube.com

A Thousand Hours

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupA Thousand Hours · The CureKiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me℗ 1987 Fiction Records Ltd.Released on: 1987-01-01Associated P...

For how much longer
Can I cry like this?
A thousand wasted hours a day
Just to feel my heart for a second
A thousand hours just thrown away
Just to feel my heart for a second
For how much longer can I howl into this wind?

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Did you know A Thousand Hours by The Cure was written when Robert Smith's 64GB memory card tragically corrupted? The worst nightmare of all us on #VITAISLAND. The lyrics really capture the despair of realising your P4G clear data was not backed up to the cloud. Harrowing stuff.

www.youtube.com

A Thousand Hours

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupA Thousand Hours · The CureKiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me℗ 1987 Fiction Records Ltd.Released on: 1987-01-01Associated P...
Terrific contribution, definitely stands out as a relatable track about a lot of players' biggest fear. As much as we love the Vita we have to be honest when we look back that it wasn't all roses and this song is a solemn reminder of that.