• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I recently finished playing A Link to the Past, and two things caught my attention. The first one is how similar it was to Ocarina of Time in terms of structure (OoT being the only Zelda game I'd played). An open-ish world(s) with a number of secrets and dungeons. In a way it shouldn't be surprising, but I can't help but to be blown away by how well a 3d game managed to capture the essence of a 2d one.

The second one is a differece between the two. And it's the reason of this thread. While OoT felt very puzzle oriented, A Link to the Past felt very action-y. With its dungeons more about skill than solving puzzles. I would have though it would be the opposite. After all, the SNES game has very limited gameplay. It's a 2d game, where you can move in only 8 directions and hit with your sword. Yes, there is ranged attacks and magic, but the core of the combat is that simple. Move around and hit with your sword.

At the same time, knowing the legacy, I had a feeling the game would know how to keep that basic combat ever entertaining and fresh. And it did. Even though the core of the combat remained the same, the game found ways to make me constantly improve. To feel like every new level was an evolution of the old one. And in the last dungeon I found a sequence of rooms that encapsulate this accomplishment:

v9b2V8x.png

First room: This room shows two ways the game manages to keep itself fresh: New enemy designs (the skeleton can dodge your sword and counterattack while the other guy can spit fire) and those rolling floor thing that will affect your movement. Also, an important note: nothing here is new to the game. This dungeon only use old stuff in new combinations.

Eo9IRAG.png

Second room: Now we have a more complex formation of rolling floors, but also a statue with a rotating eye that will shoot a laser at you! Better keep moving.

3TbyrZK.png

Third room: How about TWO statues that will shoot laser at you? Also, they are moving with the floor. And how about some spike blocks to limit your movement? Yes, that will work. Said some developer 30 years ago.

aNlYlW2.png

Forth room: Even if all of that wasn't enough? Let's put some fucking ice that totally screw with Zelda Link's movement!

Can you see it? The progressive development of gameplay? That takes something simple and make it complex?

This is something I feel is missing in many western games. Take The Witcher 3, for example. It has a good, yet simple combat. And it remains like that for the entirety of the game. Mind you, I'm not saying TW3's combat is bad. I liked it. It managed to keep me engaged for all the hours I spent in that amazing realized open world. But it never managed to go beyond that. If it was a 2d game like Zelda, it would be like if every room was the same. Maybe with some different colors, and the enemies would look different, but the same nonetheless. What would make it fresh wouldn't be gameplay, but narrative or pretty graphics. I could also mentions game like Uncharted 2 or Alan Wake, the latter which I felt had a very nice combat system, but that was never properly explored.

Of course, there are western games that more fully explore their gameplay options. Take Half Life 2 and its episodes. Like someone in this very forum so brilliant put, while for other games physics are just something to make the game look nice, in HL2 case it's about gameplay as well. And by exploring its physics engine that game managed to create a number of different "rooms" with the same basic principle.

I'm not saying anything new when I mention how some western games seem to put production values, graphics and narrative ahead of gameplay, but I do feel it's something worth saying. Because if you can combine the two approachs, you can make a much better game.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That's one of the greatest games of all time and Nintendo is a master of the type of gameplay you are describing. Most games are going to come up short.

But other developers often focus on different things and find ways to excel at them.

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
The level design of The Witness and any Portal-style puzzle game gets more complex as you go.
StarCraft and other RTS get more difficult with the increasing pool of buildings and units available.
Deus Ex and other immersive sims throw different types of obstacles your way as you progress.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's the Nintendo formula, and they have a strong grip at making it work in ways other devs rarely can do.

I would say the Portal series comes close though.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Link To The Past will probably always be tied with Link's Awakening for best Zelda game in my personal ranking.

To this day I love how it has the most true dungeons of any Zelda game and how Ganon's Tower was an actual dungeon, with a Big Key, Dungeon Item, etc. and not just a boss rush like in later games.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Link to the Past is a game with extremely simple enemy designs. They typically have exactly one thing to do, and they just do it over and over again. Encounter complexity either comes from the environment they're placed in or not at all. There are plenty of NA made games that work like this, eg. the pre 2016 Doom games.

On the flip side there are games whose enemies have complex, multifaceted behaviors. The complexity of an encounter can be ratcheted up by introducing enemies with more varied behaviors regardless of the environment they're in. There are plenty of Japanese games that do this the point of practically making the room you're fighting in an afterthought, eg. Devil May Cry, Platinum Games.

The idea that "western" games are uniquely lacking in this department is ridiculous.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Good on you for making a good OP breaking it down like that. 2D Zelda doesnt do much for me but its cool to see that Nintendo style of design present here too.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Link to the Past is a game with extremely simple enemy designs. They typically have exactly one thing to do, and they just do it over and over again. Encounter complexity either comes from the environment they're placed in or not at all. There are plenty of NA made games that work like this, eg. the pre 2016 Doom games.

On the flip side there are games whose enemies have complex, multifaceted behaviors. The complexity of an encounter can be ratcheted up by introducing enemies with more varied behaviors regardless of the environment they're in. There are plenty of Japanese games that do this the point of practically making the room you're fighting in an afterthought, eg. Devil May Cry, Platinum Games.

The idea that "western" games are uniquely lacking in this department is ridiculous.

Well, neither DMC's developers nor Platinum are western developers.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'll say that I don't like The Witcher 3 combat at all, it hindered my enjoyment of the game.

Edit: Great OP btw, breaking it down step by step to prove your point.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The second one is a differece between the two. And it's the reason of this thread. While OoT felt very puzzle oriented, A Link to the Past felt very action-y. With its dungeons more about skill than solving puzzles. I would have though it would be the opposite. After all, the SNES game has very limited gameplay. It's a 2d game, where you can move in only 8 directions and hit with your sword. Yes, there is ranged attacks and magic, but the core of the combat is that simple. Move around and hit with your sword.

I think this is a big part of the reason why I never really liked most of the 3D Zelda games until BOTW. The action in OOT felt like a step backwards coming from Link to the Past.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you meant to say.
What I meant to say is what I said. I re-read it and it's not mangled or confusing at all. Maybe try re-reading it yourself? I don't know what else to tell you.

In almost all of Platinum's games, the level design basically amounts to little more than window dressing for the fights. Pretty much the only aspect of it that matters is the selection of enemy pairings for each encounter. They still function as games because the enemies themselves are complex enough to carry the gameplay, but they're critically lacking in the areas you claim "western" games are skimping out on.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
What I meant to say is what I said. I re-read it and it's not mangled or confusing at all. Maybe try re-reading it yourself? I don't know what else to tell you.

In almost all of Platinum's games, the level design basically amounts to little more than window dressing for the fights. Pretty much the only aspect of it that matters is the selection of enemy pairings for each encounter. They still function as games because the enemies themselves are complex enough to carry the gameplay, but they're critically lacking in the areas you claim "western" games are skimping out on.

Yes, I didn't mean to say that the level design is the only way to developed your gameplay. Indeed, even in A Link to the Past enemy design is an important feature, and I also mentioned Half Life 2 as an great example of a gameplay that is constanly developed while keeping the same basic features. Why I didn't get is your last sentence.

"The idea that "western" games are uniquely lacking in this department is ridiculous."

The departament I mean is not level design, but exploration of gameplay mechanics. That can be achieve through many ways, one being level design, another being enemy design. Or the use of physics...

I do think Western games tend to ignore this more than Japanese ones.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Why is it an East versus West thing when nearly every non-western game in existance doesn't do it either?

In fact of the top of my head the only other game that does this, increased complexity via the developing arrangement of enemies and hazards, would be the Batman Arkham games. Simple moveset but increasing complexity as missions go on through the specific placement of enemies and hazards.

I'm not dismissing that Link to the Past does it great, I just don't see the need for the East versus West idea

ranjaboy

Oct 27, 2017
But that's exactly how Doom works. Heck, most good shooters operate like this.
I don't get what your talking about.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite game of all time, right alongside Super Metroid. In my opinion, it's perfect.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
But that's exactly how Doom works. Heck, most good shooters operate like this.
I don't get what your talking about.

I was going to say, Valve are masters of this kind of design as well. Not sure why the OP is making this an East vs. West thing.

Edit: Wait, I missed that the OP actually called out HL2.

So you have two examples, one from a Japanese dev and one from an American dev, yet somehow this is something that Western devs particularly are incapable of.

The idea that no Eastern devs prioritize graphics and story over gameplay, or even that this is a rare relative to how Western devs prioritize those things, is weird as well. Very bizarre thread.

Last edited:

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
A Link to the Past is easily in my top 3 games ever. Shit, it might be my number one. It's perfect. The sound. The music. The controls. The level design. The story. Just fucking everything is perfect.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
i haaatttteee the combat of 2D zelda its one of the few reasons i never got far in link to the past ( 2nd? dungeon i think ?) its too damn easy to get hit/die and rinse and repeat. thank god for rewind feature in the snes/nes app. i might go back to it one day using the rewind to finish that damn game

but reading that OP, i'm reminded of skyward sword and its later/Final dungeon which like you said kept building things on top of things and is a mix match of every other dungeons

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why this is a east vs west thing but OP couldn't be any more wrong. New enemy designs on harder stages and variations of stages is like one of the most coming game design elements out there. A link to the past is one my my favorite games of all time but op just probably too blown away by it and ran to post on resetera at this point.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I think this is a big part of the reason why I never really liked most of the 3D Zelda games until BOTW. The action in OOT felt like a step backwards coming from Link to the Past.
But that is part of the reason of its success, you felt cool doing complex shit even though you didnt need super reflexes like alttp

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate the whole east vs West bullshit

You are also describing something that most games don't do, even your sacred Japanese devs

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if you're trying to make a subtle "why are western games inferior" thread or not

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Don't know why this is a east vs west thing but OP couldn't be any more wrong. New enemy designs on harder stages and variations of stages is like one of the most coming game design elements out there. A link to the past is one my my favorite games of all time but op just probably too blown away by it and ran to post on resetera at this point.

I don't think so. In a matter of speaking, this thread has been in the making since I played Alan Wake several years ago. Sure, you can throw some harder enemies in the level and think that is progress, but it's not. The Last of Us does exactly this, but it doesn't come close to match A Link to the Past in terms of gameplay progression.

And I could mention more modern games. Metal Gear Rising does the very same thing. Or Bayonetta. Automata doesn't quite do that, and It did surprise me because I thought it would.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
But that is part of the reason of its success, you felt cool doing complex shit even though you didnt need super reflexes like alttp

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority thinking the combat in OOT was garbage and brought down the game. I do like other aspects of the game, but as a kid, coming from LTTP, I was disappointed. I replayed it a few years ago, and even still I think its just an OK game.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Oh, weird, I just beat A Link to the Past for the first time today myself!

I agree that the progression in the dungeons is great (not to mention the progression between entire dungeons), though to be honest, I cheesed my way through all four of those rooms with Bombos. I couldn't stand those laser things.

You should check out the first game sometime. It was the first Zelda I played (LTTP was the third; Four Swords was the second, but I'm not sure if that counts) and there is definitely a very clear progression between it and LTTP in terms of game design. Like LTTP, TLoZ is heavy on the action; I feel that the later game did more with puzzles, so it seems like the series just got more and more puzzle-oriented as time went on.

I found LTTP to be an interesting and worthwhile, though sometimes frustrating, experience. It's astonishing how deep this game is, and given that some bits reminded me of Ys, specifically Ys II, I have to wonder how much that other action RPG series might've inspired LTTP.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Almost every game does this, East or West. It's like...a core tenant of game design, starting with simple mechanics and building upon them. Obviously it's going to be more prevalent in a puzzle based game.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
One of my favorite games of all time. Back when Nintendo were able to create great games.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find the LTTP combat kinda dull tbh. The movement feels boring too. I think it's all fine if you're playing the game for the first time, but lord knows I've replayed the game a million times so obviously I enjoy it, but it's really kinda stale when it comes to combat and movement.

And the difficulty progression you're Illustrating is kinda just game design 101?

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. In a matter of speaking, this thread has been in the making since I played Alan Wake several years ago. Sure, you can throw some harder enemies in the level and think that is progress, but it's not. The Last of Us does exactly this, but it doesn't come close to match A Link to the Past in terms of gameplay progression.

And I could mention more modern games. Metal Gear Rising does the very same thing. Or Bayonetta. Automata doesn't quite do that, and It did surprise me because I thought it would.
Yeah I get what you are saying. That's why the legend of Zelda a link to the past is the only game in history that has a videogame level that's different from the last one you played on the game. Only western folks figured that one out right? Ohh and enemies that have new attacks and behave differently than the last ones too right? It's only progress when you say it is.. right? that's how it works?

Dude please stop it with this east vs west trash when for ages we have had games like that. And progressive level design/enemies have been a staple of videogames for a long time. I've seen western games with it as far back as I could think with games like Dungeon Master back on the Amiga to the original Doom and across every generation out there. You could rave about a Link to the Pasts amazing polish and innovations across the board in many things but instead decided to bring up that classic into some some East/West fantasy that's misplaced. This ain't it chief.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Great post, OP. Not much to add to the discussion other than that.

Western games are trash.
What in the fuck.....how are trash posts like this allowed? Explain how this mindset is anything other than prejudiced and xenophobic. Blanket statements like this are utterly absurd, you're talking about thousands of games here, what utter tosh.