• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I've completed the game, and I want to share some final thoughts:
  • This game is a total and absolute masterpiece. The mastery over level design and mechanics on show in this game put most modern games to shame. I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like when this game, with its intermeshing system of locks and keys, Metroidvania progression, two overlaying worlds, and its great world and dungeon design, first came out in 1992, because even in 2019, this game is mind blowing in terms of just how great it is
  • My favorite dungeons were the Ice Palace, Turtle Rock, and Ganon's Tower. No dungeon in the game feels bad, but I think the SKull Woods one comes very close
  • There are a delightful number of secrets just tucked away in the world for those who want to take a minute off from the main quest, and go poking around in suspicious places
  • There is an incredible sense of ownership and place in terms of your adventure in A Link to the Past. If you remember, I praised Breath of the Wild for this same thing, but A Link to the Past achieves it too. It makes you feel like Hyrule truly has fallen into disrepair and ruin, and you are all that stands between its ruin and it
  • The music, obviously, is a masterpiece. I already named the Dark World overworld theme before, but I want to take a minute to call out the Death Mountain theme, which might actually be my favorite in the series so far
  • Overall, this is an incredible game, and a totally different brand and genre of title than what I expected going in with only BOTW as my experience. While I don't think I enjoyed Link to the Past as much as BOTW, I do think it was super close, and I actually wonder if the older Zelda games were all like this, what the need to switch the formula up even was.
TL;DR: this game is a masterpiece, and I am glad to have played it, and thank you to everyone who asked me that I do. I think my only question is, do I want to play Link's Awakening next, or should I take a bit of a break?

Just want to thank you for this thread, as it was one of the most fun threads I've read in a while.
I remember thinking the same thing my first time through and the surprise I felt when the game opened up with the Dark World.

Glad you enjoyed the game.

As for Link's Awakening, that's up to you if you want to jump right in or wait to avoid burn out.
I will say to just remember that it is a remake of a gameboy game and that the scope is not as large as LTTP.
Still, an excellent game

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
So anyway, to address the question that started this entire ordeal where you asked what a 2D Zelda game plays like in order to determine if you should bother with Link's Awakening: this is what they play like. For Link's Awakening, imagine if the same director (and team I assume) made a Gameboy Link to the Past two years later with the benefits (snappy and tight) and downsides (less complex, less immersive) inherent in the hardware.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
  • This game is a total and absolute masterpiece. The mastery over level design and mechanics on show in this game put most modern games to shame. I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like when this game, with its intermeshing system of locks and keys, Metroidvania progression, two overlaying worlds, and its great world and dungeon design, first came out in 1992, because even in 2019, this game is mind blowing in terms of just how great it is
  • My favorite dungeons were the Ice Palace, Turtle Rock, and Ganon's Tower. No dungeon in the game feels bad, but I think the SKull Woods one comes very close
  • There are a delightful number of secrets just tucked away in the world for those who want to take a minute off from the main quest, and go poking around in suspicious places
  • There is an incredible sense of ownership and place in terms of your adventure in A Link to the Past. If you remember, I praised Breath of the Wild for this same thing, but A Link to the Past achieves it too. It makes you feel like Hyrule truly has fallen into disrepair and ruin, and you are all that stands between its ruin and it
  • The music, obviously, is a masterpiece. I already named the Dark World overworld theme before, but I want to take a minute to call out the Death Mountain theme, which might actually be my favorite in the series so far
  • Overall, this is an incredible game, and a totally different brand and genre of title than what I expected going in with only BOTW as my experience. While I don't think I enjoyed Link to the Past as much as BOTW, I do think it was super close, and I actually wonder if the older Zelda games were all like this, what the need to switch the formula up even was.
TL;DR: this game is a masterpiece, and I am glad to have played it, and thank you to everyone who asked me that I do. I think my only question is, do I want to play Link's Awakening next, or should I take a bit of a break?

Def take a break. Maybe play Super Metroid instead!

Re: zelda formula, we had over 20 years of this formula that added variations with different degrees of success. In particular the series became more and more lineal bith in and out of dungeons and the degree of handholding increased a lot, the overworld in particular became less and less important to the point that in Skyward Sword it was more of an extension of the dungeon gameplay. Nostalgia for insanely good games like alttp and oot made it hard for the zelda team to top themselves.

Interestingly enough there is a sorts of indirect sequel to this game on 3ds called "A Link between Worlds", it reuses the overworld with some twists and they experimented with giving some degree of freedom back to the player (less habdholding, more freedom on overworld exploring and dungeon order), they even gave you access to your full set of items since early in the game, it felt like an experiment that led straight into botw.

If you ever are on the mood for more zelda besides Links awakening id recommend picking up a cheap 3ds and playing Ocarina of Time which is similar to ALTTP but done in 3d. ALWB which is thr sequel i mentioned and Majora's Mask which is a different take on Zelda

Last edited:

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
It is. It is a masterpiece.
I'm so proud of you.
I'm proud of all ERA.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
As you play the rest of the games in the series, you'll come to realize why.

the Zelda formula is far from bad, it's one of the greatest in gaming. That's why the series was so acclaimed. But so many games used it, it really was time for a switch up. Plus, they did get more and more linear and handholdy. And focused less on exploration.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Thank you everyone for chipping in!

I think I will take a short break between Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, especially if the two are as similar as it appears they are. I might actually take this time to explore some of the other SNES classics that I've never played like some of you recommended, maybe Super Metroid sounds like a good one.

At some point I'll look at picking up either a 3DS or a Wii U to play some more Zelda games, but for now that's too far off in the future to consider.

Anyway, thank you for all your feedback and support in the thread! And I'm glad it was entertaining to you as well :P

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY

What a brilliant turn around from the OP. This whole experience makes my heart sing.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

I think I will take a short break between Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, especially if the two are as similar as it appears they are. I might actually take this time to explore some of the other SNES classics that I've never played like some of you recommended, maybe Super Metroid sounds like a good one.

At some point I'll look at picking up either a 3DS or a Wii U to play some more Zelda games, but for now that's too far off in the future to consider.

Anyway, thank you for all your feedback and support in the thread! And I'm glad it was entertaining to you as well :P
This is an amazing thread.

Awesome decision to play LTTP and even better decision to play Super Metroid.

If you play Super Metroid next just make to give it some time. The game is a work of genius but it can take some time to see that as your understanding of the design and mechanics grows substantially the more you play it. Its really kind of insane how well they designed that game.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
thread actually had a happy ending, nice!

I'm just finishing up Super Metroid, then I'm probably going to revisit LTTP. It's been a while since I played (did the GBA ver) so I'm excited to give it another go. It's soooo good.

SoulFinger74

Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Amazing thread. And a huge yes to Super Metroid. As stated above, brilliant game design. And the soundtrack ... simply one of the very best in the history of gaming.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So your about face is interesting to me on a number of levels. It wasnt a foregone conclusion that the game stood the test of time, no pun intended. In fact, when Ive gone back to play it Ive felt it hasnt aged as well as I would have thought. Ive concluded the reason for that is that the game is a giant puzzle and ive already solved it before, so when replaying (and because i found all the secrets), i was able to whisk my way through it pretty quickly.

The thing that doesnt get old is the gameplay - and I am curious - how do you feel about that? The feel of combat and other things you can do has always seemed timeless to me.

The dungeon design I find to be stellar, as you said. And imagining the dark world and its challenges in the face of your OP still makes me literally laugh out loud. In some ways, the dark world is one of the darkest atmospheres in a game i have ever experienced, mostly because its so mysterious and bizarre relative to the light world.

Im curious about your thoughts on gameplay given you are a new player - but am very happy with the evolution of this thread haha!!!

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I tried playing this recently and I don't really like it either. I never know where to go next and it's kinda boring.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
So your about face is interesting to me on a number of levels. It wasnt a foregone conclusion that the game stood the test of time, no pun intended. In fact, when Ive gone back to play it Ive felt it hasnt aged as well as I would have thought. Ive concluded the reason for that is that the game is a giant puzzle and ive already solved it before, so when replaying (and because i found all the secrets), i was able to whisk my way through it pretty quickly.

The thing that doesnt get old is the gameplay - and I am curious - how do you feel about that? The feel of combat and other things you can do has always seemed timeless to me.

The dungeon design I find to be stellar, as you said. And imagining the dark world and its challenges in the face of your OP still makes me literally laugh out loud. In some ways, the dark world is one of the darkest atmospheres in a game i have ever experienced, mostly because its so mysterious and bizarre relative to the light world.

Im curious about your thoughts on gameplay given you are a new player - but am very happy with the evolution of this thread haha!!!
Yes, I think in some ways, this game will hold up less well to a replay than something like Breath of the WIld, because it is such a defined progression. Things will always happen in a certain way, and like you said, the game is a puzzle that at this point I've solved, so who knows if it's as engaging on a replay.
The actual game feel feels fine. It feels a bit invisible in that it's not even something I have given any thought to, so I suppose it achieves what it sets out to do by doing its job so well that you never stop to think about it. Some things feel a bit outdated to me, especially the combat, which really is just slashing away most of the time. But I find that also seems to fit the pace of the game very well, in that encounters and traversal aren't two separate things like they are in Breath of the Wild, they're both very much the same thing.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also sorry to quote you again but I want to respond to something you said. My mother, who is a strange person in her own right, bought LTTP for me without me even knowing that "Zelda 3" existed. I was taking groceries out of her trunk when i spied its shiny box. SO if you can imagine picking up such a well developed title as a 10 year old, not knowing it existed or having any expectation, and playing the opening scenes for the first time all the way to the master sword moment and the dark world for the first time, youd imagine my experience. It was truly revelatory for its time. Nintendo still shadow drops its games but not the big ones, so that revelation is harder but not impossible (BOTW) proves this. But "Zelda 3" was a pinnacle and defining moment for me as a kid. True Disney magic coming out of my mothers trunk unexpectedly.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Im happy you enjoyed it. Top 2 TLOZ for me! An absolute masterpiece.

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
Yes, I think in some ways, this game will hold up less well to a replay than something like Breath of the WIld, because it is such a defined progression. Things will always happen in a certain way, and like you said, the game is a puzzle that at this point I've solved, so who knows if it's as engaging on a replay.
The actual game feel feels fine. It feels a bit invisible in that it's not even something I have given any thought to, so I suppose it achieves what it sets out to do by doing its job so well that you never stop to think about it. Some things feel a bit outdated to me, especially the combat, which really is just slashing away most of the time. But I find that also seems to fit the pace of the game very well, in that encounters and traversal aren't two separate things like they are in Breath of the Wild, they're both very much the same thing.

Now prepare to have your mind blown by the knowledge that there is a Link to the Past Randomizer, where every single playthrough of the game is unique :) Here's the site which has lots more info, in case you're curious!

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Skull Wood dungeon is definitely the weaker dungeon. It's a very nice ideas to use the many entrances connecting the overworld to various rooms of the dungeon but you can literally just get the big key and the fire rod in 5 minutes and then skip the entire early part of that dungeon. The second part is also very short, definitely the "worst" dungeon.

Last edited:

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
To answer one of the questions the OP had: Playing thru ALTTP in 1992 was practically a religious experience.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Id take a break before Links Awakening, its good to let Zelda games be a treat you get to enjoy every x amount of time

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I think you should go for Majora's Mask now for a unique yet enjoyable experience in The Legend of Zelda franchise. If you can't go for the OG one, the 3DS remake is cool, but in some ways worse than the older version.

Or you should go for the exact opposite of that and try the Oracle games. Your choice anyway, but I would avoid the DS games.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Super Metroid is fucking stellar as well. STELLAR.

You'll find no shortage of SNES recommendations on here. In fact, just look at the SNES Mini game collection and pretty much everything on there is a must-play (and even then, it's missing some absolute masterpieces like Donkey Kong Country 2, Chrono Trigger, etc.).

If I could recommend one game to you though - play Earthbound. Even if you're not into RPG games, it transcends the genre in so many ways. It's just...awesome.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I think you should go for Majora's Mask now for a unique yet enjoyable experience in The Legend of Zelda franchise. If you can't go for the OG one, the 3DS remake is cool, but in some ways worse than the older version.

Or you should go for the exact opposite of that and try the Oracle games. Your choice anyway, but I would avoid the DS games.

My advice building on this to The One Who Knocks. Play some other games but keep these thoughts stashed away for tackling the remainder of some of the series' biggest games -

1. Next up is Link's Awakening. It's a beautiful palate cleanser, at once more refined and focused but at the expense of some complexity. It's a bit shorter, a bit punchier.

From there you have two equally valid options but in a specific order -

2. The Oracles. Start with Seasons, then Ages. They are interconnected with a password system and work best going from Seasons to Ages as they ramp up in complexity, eventually taking the best lessons of the 3D titles and applying them to 2D dungeons. These are practically the culmination of everything Zelda knew how to do up to their point.

3. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. It's tantamount you play OoT first, because so much of Majora's more mind-altering ideas and sequences are based on having some intimate knowledge of OoT. It's not that their stories are necessary for one another, but I can't imagine going from Majora to Ocarina without a tiny bit of disappointment, though both are vital to play someday.

And then -

4. Keep going. The main priorities I'd put in are Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and A Link Between Worlds.

The great thing about Zelda beyond the NES and up to BotW is how Nintendo (and Capcom with the Oracles and Minish) found so many ways to play around with the base model, and as much as I have my own favorites there are a good 7-8 games that on any given day I could rank as the best.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
You should update the OP or add Threadmarks at the least so people don't keep streaming in thinking you:

1. haven't figured out your error yet
2. haven't finished the game
3. are trolling

go play Link's Awakening right now while the feeling is fresh

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
What I liked is how the game taught me to look for signs. Triangle shapes on the ground, bits of land that look suspicious in Dark World, cracks in walls, everything leading to a new secret. I think found out everything about this game through months of experimentation. One of the best discoveries was a piece of heart that you can only find by warping to Light World halfway through the Death Mountain Dark World dungeon.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

The Death Mountain piece is the best. Its the one song I think about whenever I see anything associated with LttP. I think its called Black Mist on the OST.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
you owe it to yourself to play links awakening and Ocarina of time... JUST to see what the game did the next few years

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine playing through ALttP for the first time and then moving onto Super Metroid.

Nintendo are truly the gods of gaming.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Not even most 2D games or even most 16bit games are nearly as good as Super Metroid of Lttp. Some extra magic was involved in their creation. I am sure of it.

It's a combination of good, classic design (which I think most recognize) and damned good game feel (which I don't think everyone does). The games of that era that really hold up are those that just feel good to control. It just so happens that the companies that were willing to go to extra length on feel also spent time on graphics, music, etc. For me, those are Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, and Square. The best PC games of the era follow suit - Doom just feels right; Tie Fighter just felt right.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

Really glad you made this thread and that you came around on LttP. It's such an incredible game.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I think so. It's even better if you remember what happened in OOT because it's the first game in that timeline after the OOT split.

To be specific, the manual for A Link to the Past refers to the The Imprisoning War, a time long ago when Ganon was sealed off and banished to the Dark World. Guess what monumental, influential, 3D follow-up was the story of The Imprisoning War?

That said, I don't think of any Zelda game having one of the best stories in gaming (Majora's Mask aside because of its symbolism), but knowing the ALttP manual inside and out with all its talk of long-ago Sages, then playing OoT, finally at long last, in 98 was very memorable.

Oct 28, 2017
This thread really delivered. Congratulations on beating the game, OP.

I'm heavily invested in the randomizer and associated community for Z3, so it is interesting that one of your comments remarked on the hard progression lines this game has with the item layout, which makes it one of the most perfect games for a randomizer adaptation in my opinion. Imagine a huge logic puzzle that depends completely on those hard progression lines via items and is different every time you play! I gained a huge appreciation for Z3 thanks to rando that I didn't have when the game first came out. I absolutely don't have any of the much cited "childhood magic" given that I was already an adult when the game first released, I played through it once and moved on.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

It's lovely to see you enthralled with the game like this. It was indeed a one-of-a-kind experience back then, at least for me. The SNES was an absolute monster in terms of gaming masterpieces.

If you loved its music, I recommend you check out Cadence of Hyrule's soundtrack. It's beyond fantastic, and includes two new versions (calm and combat) of each of many Zelda tracks, including the two you mention as your favorites:

As for what Zelda game to play next, you have quite a few options. If you want more of that ALttP goodness and have a 3DS, A Link Between Worlds is an amazing sequel that manages to capture the spirit of the original while being its own thing. I feel it's a game that really, really wants to be played in 3D, so I would dearly recommend playing it on a 3D-capable unit. Other than that, the best 2D Zelda games are indeed Link's Awakening and the Oracle games.

Aside from those, there's the 3D / third person games, obviously. The issue here, as far as I'm concerned, is that you played the best one by far (BotW), but they are excellent games for the most part, too. Just don't expect them to be mindblowing in the sense both LttP and BotW are.

A more out-there recommendation I would personally make is to check Cadence of Hyrule. It's obviously a very different beast, being rhythm-based (you can turn that off and make it a kind of turn-based game), but it's simply fantastic, especially once you get into daily runs and speedrunning. It also has a free demo on the eShop!